Thread: fermented honey

Default fermented honey

hello, just found a five gallon pail of honey that seems to be slightly fermented. what can i do with this, is it safe to eat or should i feed it back to the girls?

Why did it ferment? was it capped when you extracted? Unless it has a high moisture content that should not happen. I don't think its good to feed back to them but I could be wrong.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. If you build it, they will fill it.

Default fermented honey

I have heard it can give the bees the green apple quick step.

Default Fermented

Alcohol is toxic to bees

But sometimes there is a layer of high water content & fermentation on top of heavier liquid. Viscocity will be different

As it crystallizes in a bucket the crystals settle to the bottom, and the top becomes more and more liquid.

So the fermentation is probably just on the top. If you can separate the top layers from the bottom, the rest will probably be fine once you warm it and dissolve the crystals.
    Troy

Don’t give it to the bees, throw it away. If it fermented it probably had to high moisture when extracted.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.