Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
    We treat our bees by means of oxacylic acid drip when thay are in a cluster. We do this at freezing temps so that they are in a good cluster. They have never seemed to suffer when the hives have been opened for this at those temps.
    Are you getting good control with fall oxalic acid treatments? What do you use as an applicator? (I noticed Allen Dick's diary, www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/default.htm, discussed an interesting one he obtained from Medivet.) Do you only do a fall treatment or are you treating with something like formic acid is spring?

Thanks
    Allen

Default Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
    Brooksbeefarm: We wait untill freezing temps have arrived here so there is no brood in the hive. We have brood in the hive untill then. The bees need to be in a tight cluster to apply the oxalic drip to get an evan application. We winter in 2 deeps in this part of the country. If you do it before they are in a tight cluster, 35 ml of acid is hard to apply to bees spread over 20 deep frames. When the hives has been treated, we bunch them together in groups of four, then wrap with insulation. The walls are insulated at R12 and the tops at R20. All our hives are wintered outdoors.
    Hi Brooksbee,
    I'm confused...so do you use 35 ml of OA solution MAX per colony?

I thought it was 50 ml of OA solution/colony,

The formula I have is :

35 GRAMS of oxalic dihydrate
    1 LITER 1:1 syrup

Trickle 5 ml into each occupied beespace for a MAXIMUM of 50 ml per colony.

Just asking because there is a lot of conflicting information floating around.
    for an example.... the 35gr OA / liter of syrup ratio I just gave you is from the Canadian Beekeepers website.

But then, I found in the New Zealand Beekeepers book, "Control of Varroa", it say's to use;

75 GRAMS of oxalic dihydrate
    1 liter water
    1 kg sugar

this will make aproximately 1.67 liters of OA solution...
    Then trickle 5 ml of the solution into each occupied beespace, for a 50 ml MAXIMUM per colony.

Now those two instructions a very similar, but by my "seat of my pants" way of reckoning, I'm gonna think that I'm gonna end up with two very different solutions.

Interested in your thoughts on that...

Mark

I'm going with the Canadians on this one, BTW

tbb39
    Sorry that your thread got hijacked...I didn't start the divergence, but probably shouldn't perpetuated it either....

You should be fine doing what you propose, you seem to have a plan and IMHO what your doing doesn't "really" constitute opening up a hive (as opposed to MP's need to get his nucs set up) and moving frames etc.

Anyway, are your bees are starving?
    I expect that you will certainly have a time in the near future (although you might not be able to say exactly when) when you will have better conditions, and not need to upset them needlessly.
    I always hate having bees lost when they try to fly in the cold and don't get back...and, if they're already weak, I personally would wait till they are a little more active.
    Mark

I use 1 litre of 50/50 syrup with 35 grams oxalic acid, I have been using 35 ml as the clusters are good. If you need to you can use 5 ml per frame, max 50 ml. Last fall was the first time I used it. Hives came through last winter with great results. I have not treateds in the spring. I use large plastic syringes that I purchased at Peavy Mart.

Thanks for the info dgl1948. Treat price is another positive for oxalic acid.

np I put news paper on sunday. the cluster was still in the bott deep. they gave me a big buzz roar and that was it. I put the supper on then news paper and sugar. In and out in less then 4-5 min. thanks all for the repys.