Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Busted...& convicted

I just heard from a deputy sherrif locally that a local beekeeper (I hate to use that word to describe a crook) was convicted of hive theft in our local courts Tuesday. Apparently, the case has been investigated for a couple of years. The man admitted no wrong doing after stealing hives placed on a third parties land, painting over brand and/or stencils, and re-stenciling his name on the hives. The deputy told me he had not yet been sentenced, but the deputy figured he would get about four years.

It is nice to know that justice is working sometimes in beekeeping thefts.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

Thar was a day when bee rustling would git ya hanged. Good work by you local boys there.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Good deal!! One less we have to worry about.
    Sheri

as someone pointed out to me at one time... usually in the case of theft of singular or multiple hives the perp is another beekeeper.

I keep hoping they'll catch Scott Nelson. He's pretty good at circumventing the system. Right now him and his new business "Bear foot Honey" have hives for sale in the ABJ and he stole 32 hives from me and stil owes me $12,500.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

It is sad that there are people like that in the world. Not everyone wants to work to get what they want, it is far easier to take insted of earn..........
    life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you are gonna get

Quote Originally Posted by dbest View Post
    I keep hoping they'll catch Scott Nelson. He's pretty good at circumventing the system. Right now him and his new business "Bear foot Honey" have hives for sale in the ABJ and he stole 32 hives from me and stil owes me $12,500.
    It is probably not a good idea to make these claims unless
    you have solid proof. Are the authorities involved??

Default The pick up bee bandit

Over the years someone in Tulare & Fresno county has stolen over a thousand colonies by the pick up load. Pretty well known by the detectives that they were all the same perp. This guy Laurence tells about has probably done it before. Can't wait to hear the name!

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    It is probably not a good idea to make these claims unless
    you have solid proof. Are the authorities involved??
    Technically, it isn't even safe to make a claim like that with solid proof, until after a court has come down with a guilty verdict. It leaves you wide open for a libel suit, and as we all know, even when you win in a law suite, you lose.
    doug

I don't intend to get involved or expand on what dbest has said. I will only say that he knows what he is doing. There's no need for concern over his statement.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

I think as the economy continues to worsen this may become a bigger problem.

Is there some kind of transponder-type device one can insert into a frame that would allow the true owner to locate his stolen hives?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Wax View Post
    Is there some kind of transponder-type device one can insert into a frame that would allow the true owner to locate his stolen hives?
    Yes, a GPS based system. Already in use by some I
    hear.

i know a beek that places a cell phone, with gps enabled, hooked to an auxilery battery in a hive when he ships to ca. i dont know what the battery life is and if stolen could probably be located easily if they opened the hive. i've heard of people stealing hives to locate on another orchard and then just leaving them there. i guess if thats the case, if the battery lasted, that may be usefull.
    there are also gps devices made for autos that sell for around 200. and a small monthly fee that may be usefull also.

There are gps devices (very small) inserted under the skin of pets for locating them.

I haven't looked into them in a while but assume they are still used. They were purchased by the owner and taken to a vet for installation. I would think that if they are still available, they could be inserted in a small hole drilled into the corner joint of a hive component before assembly. I forget how long the batteries were good for but I believe it was quite a long time.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    There are gps devices (very small) inserted under the skin of pets for locating them.

I haven't looked into them in a while but assume they are still used. They were purchased by the owner and taken to a vet for installation. I would think that if they are still available, they could be inserted in a small hole drilled into the corner joint of a hive component before assembly. I forget how long the batteries were good for but I believe it was quite a long time.
    Now that's interesting; I had no idea those were in existence, but makes sense. I wonder if the signal would degrade if you inserted it into wood...something to look into.

Default GPS device

Mann Lake sells a device that is hidden in a frame. Bees will actually build comb over it an fill with honey. If it has the right kind of battery in it the signal could last up to four years.

Thumbs Up Mann Lake GPS Locator

Here is one source of a GPS:
    GPS Locator

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/catalog/page25.html
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post

I think you are thinking of a microchip that can be scanned by a vet to id a lost dog or cat. There are gps collars available for pets, but nothing that I have ever heard of that is placed under the skin. It would almost be impossible as the battery it takes to power it would not last any time. In order for a gps locatetor to work it has to send out its coordinates at either a set time (intervals) or there are ones that you can set to activate when moved a certain distance to conserve batteries.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

This is the reason I've wanted a branding iron. It is easy to paint over paint. And I've noticed some of you guys brand the frames, too.

while I don't want, recommend, or appreciate "big brother" gov't getting into my private business, Alabama has laws that allows the bee inspector to inspect at his leasure. sure, he only inspects hives he knows of (those that register) but presuming he came across branded equipment, he would know it.
    WayaCoyote

Default Bee inspector

Is generally a cool person like a friend