Hybrid View

Default Tomato sandwiches in November

During all our 100+ degree July and August days, I envy all you guys up in the tundra regions enjoying 80-90 degree days, but I am currently picking tomatoes from the garden and enjoying them cut and placed between two slices of Oroweat Health Nut bread and Hellman's with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

We normally get our first real freeze right around Thanksgiving, so I will be picking many green tomatoes to end up the season, but I am savoring tomato sandwiches for now.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

lol. I had a grilled chicken sandwitch last night. With fresh tomatoes from the garden. I have a bunch of greens one that I need to pick I guess. Just incase we get a freeze on Saturday night. Maybe some fresh fried green tomatoes Sunday night will be on the menu.
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Maybe some fresh fried green tomatoes Sunday night will be on the menu.
    Yes, that would be great. Also, many of them will ripen sitting on the countertops. Green tomatoes are also great for pickling and making relish, if you are so inclined.

We still have them up here... I picked green ones, wrapped them in newspaper and placed them in the cool cellar. I'll have a supply until the first week in December.

Otherwise, up here we have what they call "grocery stores". They ship in produce from all parts of the world! Ain't that sumpthin!

MM

Quote Originally Posted by MapMan View Post
    Otherwise, up here we have what they call "grocery stores". They ship in produce from all parts of the world! Ain't that sumpthin!

MM

We have those too! Problem is, the tomatoes from grocery stores have zero taste.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post

We have those too! Problem is, the tomatoes from grocery stores have zero taste.

Yeah, I know. We make do. It makes you really appreciate your garden come spring and summer of the next year!

MM

the tomatoes from grocery stores have zero taste.
    Now wait just a minute I bet you get in the inner city you will find folks that will tell ya a grocery store tomato taste just like a tomato

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    Now wait just a minute I bet you get in the inner city you will find folks that will tell ya a grocery store tomato taste just like a tomato
    LOL...

The other day, we had to eat in a restaurant (which is very difficult for me to do, as few measure up to my standards). My daughter was tossing the tomatoes off of her salad, and I asked her why she didn't want them, as I know she loves tomatoes. She replied that she had tried one, and it literally tasted like cardboard. I said, "nahh, they aren't that bad", and took a bite out of a chunk. She was right - it did taste like cardboard.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    That's why we live out in the boonies. We ain't got (that part is for MM. Makes his grammer wheels go crazy ) to deal with the city slickers much. But I do see that inner city getting closer to my boonies.
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    That's why we live out in the boonies. We ain't got (that part is for MM. Makes his grammer wheels go crazy ) to deal with the city slickers much. But I do see that inner city getting closer to my boonies.
    Ya ain't gotta worry about grammar today, not in grammar mode. Good thing about livin' out in the sticks, there is a mite big ol' buffer zone between us and the big city. Of course, that makes us hicks, but that don't bother me none.

MM

Derek: grammar with an "a", not "e"

I haven't bought a tomato in years (except canned for chili and the like). Can't stand to pay good money for mediocrity.

I've still got broccoli side-shoots in the garden! This after 4" of snow.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau