Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almond News

2/3 how about 8 and 10 framers stomach that.

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    2/3 how about 8 and 10 framers stomach that.

AW that's chump change, I here you got it coming out the waaassssZoooo. lol

lights are on employees are happy.Things could be alot better if people would quiet flapping about how wonderful the almonds are.
    Last edited by high rate of speed; 11-14-2008 at 08:58 PM.

What I am hearing is around Fresno and Kings And Tulare County they are renting bees for 140.00 a hive for 8 frame avg, But I have also herd 130.00 tossed around and those are ones who already have signed contracts from local Beekeepers. And I only have a few hives wanting to go in with someone just to be able to buy a few extra supplies to expand. And I am still sitting her stuck. With no where to go.

Angi
    Angi of HHH Farms Hanford Ca
    Organic Farm & heritage, rare breed poultry, ducks, quail

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    lights are on employees are happy..
    Now that one takes the cake Lou. lol

Default I think it was Thurs last week

Hardshells the smaller later varieties that set the heavy crops this year are posting in the market at $1.13 / lb. That is a low price if you have to sell and also probably lower than your budget planned a year ago.

Default Crappollas

By that I mean the two orchards the bees were junk, bad, no good, no value,

they were moved out then we went in 2500+ col A lotta hurt out there

Whaddaya do?

Having very little tolerance for people who think like a one way street. There is way more acreage then colonies of bees that qualify. And for those who want the work and can make it happen do it. Those who don't well don't. FYI almond growers insure their crops which require a "certain undisclosed amount of Bees". Pretty safe job security as long as you have the right grower!

Good luck this year.... oh I think fair market price is about $150-$160 8 frame min.

Default The Rub

Chad is when bees that QUALIFY sit out while bees that DON'T qualify get paid.

It's tough out here right now. Hardshells below $1.00. Does that affect the price of bees? Ask the grower!

Quote Originally Posted by chadraglnad View Post
    Having very little tolerance for people who think like a one way street. There is way more acreage then colonies of bees that qualify. Good luck this year.... oh I think fair market price is about $150-$160 8 frame min.
    I would like to meet that guy with a 8 frame min.

eight frame min wow that would be a tough contract to meet it probably would even make much sense to sign a contract like that if they are that big split em up lol.
    i talked with my broker last week and she is talking same prices as last year about 150-155. for an eight frame average.

Default pollination

Hearing all sorts of things about almond pollination. ie: lots of bees; "big beeks" pollinating for $100; Fla and Grga beeks not coming out for lower prices; Dakotas and other cold area beeks coming to CA for winter anyways, even if no contract.

What are the names of some almond brokers?

Thanks.

Default Almonds

Hardshell varieties that set the big crop are priced at .93 / lb. That is very disappointing for growers. One farmer told me offhand that the way fuel prices have been dropping, he was hoping bees would drop too...there is so much uncertainty in finances...and there are definetly plenty of unplaced bees.

Tom,

I am wondering about the unplaced bees. Two brokers I know have been pushing to find out how many good hives are left that can be sent because they haven't received enough yet. I am wondering if those that still don't have contracts maybe are not talking to the right people.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

Well the Almond Board confrence is coming up it is either next week or the week after. Tom are you still planning on going? Give me a call and let me know. Parking is 1.00 an hr. Maybe We can car pool to save on funds. We will know more on that Wed as right before lunch is a talk all with beekeepers and Almond growers and the Almond board talking about Almonds 2009 and beyond and the future of it. For all that is not going if anyone would like info on it after it is over let me know. I can write up a little of what was said and what is expected just let me know.

Angi
    Angi of HHH Farms Hanford Ca
    Organic Farm & heritage, rare breed poultry, ducks, quail

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Angi_H View Post
    Parking is 1.00 an hr. Maybe We can car pool to save on funds.
    Angi
    Yea, I told my growers I woulda gone but the parking fees were a real killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Yea, I told my growers I woulda gone but the parking fees were a real killer.
    Be nice, Keith!
    Anyone who drives a porche should hafta pay $5 an hour
    Angi, I for one would like a report on what the talk is about.
    I can talk smart cuz we left California yesterday and won't be back for three weeks. Y'all out there order up a little sunshine will ya? We want those queens to think it's spring already.
    Sheri

I talked to my broker yesterday. On paper right now he has his bees ,but most likely will be short by Jan.According to him some of the real big farms are trying to keep last years prices with the beekeepers trying to place large numbers and not have to look around for a new farm.
    At this point alot of the out of state bees wintered in cali haven't been looked at. As for here it's got cold way early and brood is nearly nothing,so if it's not a full strength hive it's going to take alot of money and time to push them this year from florida to be big boxes of bees,of course we can catch some warm weather too just as easy,but the setup so far here says a long and extra cold winter.
    Where there are fruits and nuts there are beekeepers!!!

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    Y'all out there order up a little sunshine will ya? We want those queens to think it's spring already.
    Sheri
    Gotta get the right patty in those hives Sheri.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Gotta get the right patty in those hives Sheri.
    We put Globals on in Wisconsin, on top, late September, early October. Shipped the bees out first 10 days of November. When we got there late November most still had eggs. The good ones look very good. Most had the patties gone from the top. Still had pollen and honey in stores. Any small or queenless ones usually had patties unfinished on top. Maybe, Keith, your patties would have turned them on too. We do want to try yours some time, for sure.
    We put 2 more Globals in between and that better hold them til late December, when we will be back. The last few days we were out there it was gloomy and cool. The only bees flying much were those looking for the source of the pollen and syrup we just gave them. Everything was greening up nicely though and wildflower blooms were starting, that has to help.
    Back on topic, we saw noticeably way less bees setting than last couple years same places same time. Maybe the beeks are stockpiling them down south somewhere or shipping much later, don't know. Add that observation with some brokers asking about availability of good bees, one has to wonder.....
    Sheri

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast