Any ideas to save these bees
I have had two calls this week from people finding feral hives in trees they cut down,On one tree the entrance hole was exposed to the weather, so I built a cover for it.The owner said he would leave it and I could get it in the Spring.The other one is exposed at both ends and entrance in the middle.I don!t think they have enough stores to make it through the winter.People around here are concerned about the bees and I!m their local beekeeper and I hate to let them down and the bees.Day temp in upper fifties nights low to mid 30s.Any ideas?
Do you have a hive w/ lots of extra stores that you could combine them? I did that a month ago for a lady that had bee's coming into her house from the hive in her wall. I'm a rookie just thinking out loud.
Take the logs home, place them with the comb in it's original orientation, close and protect all non original entrances, and hope. If they don't make it, you are still the good beek that tried. They would likely not have made it if the tree hadn't been cut. If they do make it, transfer them in the spring.
Were these hives in standing trees that were cut down? If so, now the combs are laying on their sides! Stand the trunks up in original orientation at the least. Otherwise, cut them out and box them as hives. Good Luck!
Send South for A Florida Winter vacation
Use your bee vac to vacuum them all up. Put them all in a swarm box and mail them to me. They will have a winter in FL and that is the best they could ever hope for.
I'll pay the postage.
I can send the address by PM if you like.
If the second one was a standing tree, put it in it's original upright position. Close off the bottom and reduce the middle entrance. Put a super with stores and a cover on top. Wrap the entire thing in tar paper as a windbreak if needed. They will move up over winter and with luck you can just take that box off in the spring. Presto chango, a new colony.
Took tilt trailer, suited up and went to location.The log was about 5ft. long and had cracked lenght wise on the bottom,I guess when it hit the ground.I looked in what would have been the top end and saw the comb was all mashed together and a ball of dead bees drenched with honey.I looked through them and I Think I found the queen(dead ),anyway I brought the log home and was going to set it up about 50ft from one of my bee yards.Yep you guessed it, the temp. was 60 degrees and the Italians found it.Game over.I guess not all was lost.Thanks for trying.Jack
The best way to remove the bees out of a tree is trapping them. However, it is very time consuming and can take up to 8 weeks sometimes. It does not remove the original queen and you do have to start off with a queen in the box. It can be very frustrating if you have never done it before. The other way is the open up the tree with a chain saw. That way is risky because if the honey is cut it will flow over the bees and they will not survive that way. If have tried this way and have been successful, but I lost half the hive in the process. Again the best way is trapping.