Thread: printer woes

Default printer woes

grrrrrr, nothing like trying to do printing late at night.

i'm using card stock, which is always a bit fussy, so i thought i'd get it out of the way tonight.

even though i'm printing in all black, i didn't have the "only use black ink" box checked....ran out of cyan ink...but have plenty of black, as that is what i needed.

well, of course, the printer won't work when one of the carts is empty...even if it isn't being used...and it's 2:30 am

deknow

what brand printer?

Most print drivers can be overridden to continue printing. The options are not always well exposed.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

it is an epson. i was pretty tired and frustrated when i posted, and i slightly misspoke.

i realized that it was printing black with the color inks...so i changed it to "black ink only". at this point, the printing (despite new black ink cartriges) was spotty...so i did the print head cleaning...this takes ink, and this is when the color ran out and prevented me from printing....this was the most frustrating part, the printer ran out of color ink, rendering it useless because i was trying to clean the black print head.

i was not able to figure out how to print despite this...perhaps i missed something.

deknow

Yup, you forgot to drop that inksplat printer in the trash on the way out to pick up your new color laser that would end those silly problems.....
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

My HP inkjet will try to print even if theres no ink. I've heard that some printers will indicate theres no ink left even though there still is plenty and theres ways to overide the printer's decision to not print.

I've got an Epson photo printer that won't do anything if a cartridge is empty. Dry it doesn't care about because that doesn't indicate empty.

Nice printer, but I don't get use of the ink cartridges because they dry out sitting so much. I don't have much use for the printer. The laser is much cheaper to operate because toner doesn't dry (already dry) out and it can sit for a while if needed. Toner cartridges cost about the same as ink for the Epson ink and yield about 1000 pages color, 2000 black. I haven't had to purchase any toner for it since I bought it about 2 years ago and still have 80% left. At that rate I figure I have about 8 more years to go.

As for a work around on that Epson of yours, I dunno. I played with mine some at the time and didn't find one, but didn't have the motivation to put that much effort into it.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    it is an epson.
    There's the problem. Get an HP. I went threw several Epson's before seeing the light. Epson's design has a permanent print head that the ink from the cartridge dumps into and once that head gets gummed up, the cost of fixing it will buy you a new HP. HP's design puts the print head on the cartridge so every time you replace the cartridge your getting a new print head. Took care of all my problems.
    Regards, Barry

...i also have an hp photo printer. i bought the epson because i was printing a lot of card stock with black ink, and the paper handling path was convoluted, and didn't deal with the cardstock well (especialy in humid weather).

...so i bought the epson (c120) because it had a simpler paper path...but it still never handled the cardstock that well.

anyone print a lot of cardstock and have a printer that does this well? what model is it?

deknow

We have a HP 1350 all in one, it was a cheapie and is kinda likea "timex" so as long as I can buy cartridges------

Mt wife prints "LOTS" of cards
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape