Thread: crossbow

Default crossbow

Does anyone hunt with a crossbow? This is the first year that we have been allowed use them and I bought one. While I was sitting out at the deer stand tonight I was thinking on the deer stand. The crossbow states does fire without an arrow but when the hunt is over and you havent shot a deer how are you suppose to decock the bow without dry firing it???? Probably a stupid question but didn't see any deer.

Tension should be removed. But never by dry firing.
    Most have a lever for cocking and de tensioniing.

How many pounds??

it is 150lbs a horton summit but havent seen a detensioner or a lever for cocking

I am out of my league with the new compounds.

With wheels I would imagine just do the reverse of
    cocking.

If the manufacturer says you can dry fire, then go
    for it. It just makes me queezy. I used to have a
    small archery shop in the late 70's and dry firing
    any equipment was a no no. Hard on the limbs if
    they are unloaded.

To cock it you pull the string back. To uncock it you have to pull the trigger but it hold the string and pull the trigger to slowly let the tension o would be way to dangerous. Hmm dont know oh well I will keep thinking about this.

Smile uncocking a crossbow?

I have a bolt to use for that purpose, it is missing a fletching, i fire the bolt into the ground --now the crossbow is unloaded.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

PN........... excellent solution...... That would load
    the limbs and reduce stress.

I could send you some cats you can tie them to a tree and if no deer show up you can target practice!! Oh yeah we have cats to give away. I have a bunny too. That way you could at least eat that night!!!!
    My father in law hunts w/ one I'll call him in the mornin' and ask him(he lives down the road from Iddee so he's crashed for the day).
    I did go out scouting again today. Got the 4 wheeler stuck real good.i found some Missouuri quicksand and bogeged her down real good!
    Saw all sorts of scrapes and rubs and 5-6 bucks, 28 or 29 does/fawns. Hardly any sign 8 days ago. Looks to be perfect start I hope. Snow predicted friday for the Sat morning opener.
    Good luck on the crossbow issue. I'll try and get you an answer tomorrow

Last season was my first year hunting with a x-bow. I live 10 minutes from the Parker Bow Headquarters and manufacturing plant. The first season I killed a doe @33 yards, a 6 pointer @ 47 yards and a turkey @ 20 yards. They are very deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben View Post
    Last season was my first year hunting with a x-bow. I live 10 minutes from the Parker Bow Headquarters and manufacturing plant. The first season I killed a doe @33 yards, a 6 pointer @ 47 yards and a turkey @ 20 yards. They are very deadly.
    Congrats!!! What kind of drop do you get at near 50 yards???
    I see their fps rates are no better than most high end bows.

I have the red dot scope that has 20, 30, 40 yard dots. This buck came in on me quick right at dark and I did not have time to range it before the shot but I new it was more than 40 so I aimed about 2" below the top of his back with the 40 yard dot and squeezed the trigger and I heard paaawww/bwauuuuuhhhh and he ran 25 yards and stopped, then staggered 5 yards to the right and hit the ground. The shot was dead center double lung. I ranged it after the shot and got the true yardage. From 20 to 30 there is about 2-3 " difference but further out it drops much quicker.