Thread: Feeder Pigs

Hybrid View

Default Feeder Pigs

What are feeder pigs?
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Little pigs you feed and then eat. Usually 35-100 pounds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennyjeep View Post
    Little pigs you feed and then eat. Usually 35-100 pounds or so.
    That is what I thought. What is a good weight to slaughter for roast young suckling pig?

Suckling pig are very, very young. And only
    about 10 to 20 pounds or so. Mmmmmmmmmmmm
    tasty with a nice sage stuffing.

Most people wean piglets in two to four weeks to get the sow turned around faster as she won't breed back with pigs still suckling. If you can find someone willing to leave them on the sow, you can have suckling pig at forty or fifty lbs.

hmmmmmm to feed really big snakes
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Feeder pigs make up about a fourth of the hog market in the U.S. The pigs are raised in a feeder pig facility, and then sent to auction or otherwise sold for finishing to market size. They are usually about 35-40 lbs at eight weeks of age. Feeder pigs raising is a primarily specialized type of operation, because commingling of various ages of hogs can increase the risk of disease. Young pigs are very prone to disease, so they are raised with strict aseptic control and proper diet.

Pigs weighing from 40-125 pounds are referred as "growing pigs", and from 125 to about 230 pounds (market weight) are called "finishing pigs."

MM

That's one mighty fine setup Ruben!!! Did you build it??

Yea, I built it last winter. It took me six months to complete. 1000's of hours of designing and fabricating. Turned out pretty good considering I had zero experience welding and working with metal. I have a friend with a body shop and he let me use a plasma cutter and when I was done he painted it with 1300 degree paint and then baked it on in his baking booth.

It is 16ft long, 3500lb dextar axle w/brakes, 4 1/2ft cook chamber with 18 sq ft of cook space, two slide out meat racks. It is 24" dia 3/8 thick wall. Firebox is 2ft x 24" dia. with a warming rack on top. There is one hi pressure 180,000 btu gas burner and one 60,000 btu low pressure burner mounted on the front deck with the sink in front of that. 22 gallon water storage tank and pump mounted under the deck. On the back side is a 21"w x 4' l x 18"d wood storage box that doubles as a 1000 sq inch grill. To finish it off I added a 20ft telescoping flag pole so when I'm bbq'n I can fly old glory! Took her to the KCBS Va State BBQ Championships and lucked out winning a 10th place award in pulled pork in our first competition. Here is a link to all the pic's start to finish http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/Ruben111/BBQ/

That is some rig. Makes me hungry just looking at it.