Default Will the queen stay?

Tomorrow or the next day, I am going to remove a feral hive from an old military box. I am assuming that the combs all run straight down from the upper lid. I am wondering if there is something I should do to make certain that the queen does not just buzz off. Would her mother instinct cause her to stay with the brood as I slice each layer from the top lid and attach them to frames.

Yea, she'll stay. The queen won't leave her brood. Just be careful cutting it out, as I know you will of course, trying to keep the combs all in one piece without breaking or folding on itself. Have fun with your cutout!
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Thank you, Ray. That was exctly what I wanted to read....Yes, I am looking forward to it, and it ought to be a great experience. Have a great week, sir...I tip my hat to you.

Assuming a standard bottom board setup and that you block any notch or other holes, a queen excluder on the bottom board will block the queen leaving.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I think I can handle that...Thank you, Michael. ....The good part is that the man insists on paying me to take the hive...Ha Ha..I love it!

ltl willie writes:
    The good part is that the man insists on paying me to take the hive

tecumseh:
    good... you are eliminating a problem for the gentleman and he thinks you need to be rewarded for your effort. I do some of the same stuff here since the bee lab quite often refers my name to local folks with problems. I have never stated a price for removing bees (I do have the bee lab check all of these for africanization) but now commonly ask for any donation to defray the cost of fuel and (it is always good to use a sympathy line to soften the more hard cases up and you need to say this with a slight quiver in your voice) 'helllp me feed my poor starving bees'.

on more than one occasion I have had folks stuff my pockets with much more cash than I would have ever charged if I was doing removals as a business. here the local pest control folks charge about $200 for eliminating these kinds of problems... so most can pay quite a bit and still be getting quite a deal.

Tecumseh.....You ARE a scoundrel....I do hope you realize that....I was gonna use " my grandbaby can have that operation" myself...Hahahahahah..You slay me!

ltlwillie writes:
    I was gonna use " my grandbaby can have that operation" myself.

tecumseh:
    dang... wished I would have though of that.