Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My beetle trap really works! Take a look!

Hi all,
    I have put a web page together for you, showing in detail how to make what I think is the best beetle trap.

http://web.aanet.com.au/~Bees/beetletrap.html

If the page helps someone, then it is all good.

Take a look, and let me know what you think.

If you have any other ideas lets hear them!

Mike
    Last edited by Mike121; 11-09-2008 at 07:30 AM.

In my opinion, it functionally looks similar to the West Beetle trap.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I like it! The fact that the trap can be emptied from the side is a great idea. I have the West Hive Beetle Trap as well and the problem I have with them is two-fold #1 They break very easily, top and bottom pieces, #2 They fill with water which I think may lead to more chalk-brood. But they do work! I am considering something along the same lines except using a screened bottom board with a metal or plastic tray. But Good Job Mike!
    An empty wagon rattles the loudest.

The link is not working for me.

Just checked it, and it seems to work fine. Give it another try.

Great bit of ingenuity, very slick, good job!!
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

All my bottom boards are cut out like this, but I permanently fix a piece of #8 hardware cloth as a screen. Any shallow tray can be slipped in the slot underneath the screen to trap the beetles. It has been my experience that they go through the hardware cloth just as easily as the slots, so it removes the step of slotting the piece of aluminum. I also use Safer brand DE (diatomaceous earth) in the tray instead of oil, its a lot easier to handle and seems to be just as lethal to the beetles.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

I much prefer the DE also. The only drawback is you have to change it in rainey weather as it clumps up and becomes less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by longrangedog View Post
    I much prefer the DE also. The only drawback is you have to change it in rainey weather as it clumps up and becomes less effective.
    We get a lot of rain here, but it does not bother me much as I usually only use the traps intermittently. I like to leave the SBB open during the moist weather to provide more ventilation, so its normal to dump it then. When the weather dries out, if the SHB numbers are back up, I put them back in, otherwise if the bees are doing well without the traps, I don't use them.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

I tried DE and lime, but went for oil in the end. Both DE and lime don't seem to work as well once they go clumpy. We get humid weather here, so oil seems the go.

If anyone has any other ideas for traps, could you put a few photos on the web for us all.

Personally I am very happy with my trap. I put all of the oil from the traps through a sive yesterday. Out of six hives, there were an amazing number of dead beetles.

If anyone else makes one, could you let us know how you went.

Mike

Very cool,
    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

I like the idea,I think I already have some galv. plates in the barn made simular to that. However I just ordered this week from Dadant's some AJ's beetle eaters for $4 each. I going to check those plates in the barn for future use.I try to make every thing i can to save a buck.At my age my time ain't worth much.

Default shb trap

I seen my first shb this fall. I make full #8 hardware cloth bottomboards and my hive stands are made with treated 2 by 6s.I put a 3/4in.rail on the bottom outside of my sbb,this leaves a 3/4in lip on both sides of my hive stand after I set the sbb on them.I then slide a pan under the sbb that sits on this lip(slides in and out from the back) filled with veg.oil.With this setup and a migratory lid the shb doesn!t have a place to hide and will end up in the oil.This is my plan of attack,what are your thoughts,or improvememts on this? Jack
    P.S. My hive stands set on 8in.concret blocks.

Default Feed back on the SHB trap....

This email makes sharing of information, and the bit of work I did putting up a little web page seem so worth while. This is an extract from an email I received today........

"Hi Mike,

A bit of info you might be interested in.

At first I had water with detergent in it as the trap until I found out what oil to put in it and caught a heap of beetle with it. As I had just extracted and put the super and frames back onto the hive there was a fair bit of loose wax cappings coming through the trap. Yesterday I put oil in as you suggested and had a catch of maybe 50 shb overnight. This afternoon I checked again and there were some more beetle in the trap but what was most inveresting was that the bees were cleaning out the hive and were disgarding the beetle larva into the trap also. There was a heap of immature larva and some mature larva in the oil so the bees have obviously worked out that the trap is there and that it is a great dumping ground for unwanted articles such as beetle and larva.. Good on them.

I have now only the one hive as the beetle got into my other one and destroyed it. I was totally unaware of the problem until I opened it the other day. Now I have to hope to find a swarm or split my good hive once it rebuilds after the robbing. I made a 4 frame nuc box today in case I hear of a swarm around the place. Will be putting a trap on that also.

Many thanks for your assistance with your web site. It was really useful.

Cheers""

good deal!

How does it compare to a screened in bottom board?
    When your ship comes in, make sure you are willing to unload it.

This looks like a great trap but, we run around 1200 hives that are all palletized so that makes this impracticle. Does anyone have any ideas for a practicle trap that can be used on this many colonies?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by beekeeper_sd View Post
    This looks like a great trap but, we run around 1200 hives that are all palletized so that makes this impracticle. Does anyone have any ideas for a practicle trap that can be used on this many colonies?
    Well if you placed the cleats for tray in the front near the entrance , that might work

Was it the oil that attracted the mites from afar? Did the trap relieve your bettle problem, or attract more into your hive?

Looks good, just a few questions,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by suprstakr View Post
    Well if you placed the cleats for tray in the front near the entrance , that might work
    Thought about that and that may be what, if anything, we do but we worried about constantly hitting the cleats with the forklift and tearing them off. I guess we'll just have to try and see what works.

Default Re: My beetle trap really works! Take a look!

Hi Mike,

the link seems to be removed?

We are having a bad time with the SHB and I'm trying all sorts of traps.
    Thanks for your input

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast