Thread: sewing machine

Hybrid View

Default sewing machine

I overheard my wife telling a friend that she had always dreamed of having a good sewing machine so that she could get into....whatever people use sewing machines for... I'm thinking about moving our laundry room to the back porch and making the new space a craft room for her to do...whatever it is that people do in a craft room...
    If I were to attempt to buy a top notch sewing machine, what features should I be looking for? What should I expect to pay and what brands should I be looking for?
    Do they still have foot pedals? She has nueropathy that makes it hard for her to use foot controls of any kind, so I'm especially interested in anything that doesn't require to much dexterity.
    Thanks in advance...I have no idea where to begin.

It depends upon what she wants to do.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

I would guess quilting but it's not much more than a hunch. I've seen her examining others homemade quilts. Is there such a thing as a good all around sewing machine? I don't want to ask her what she wants as I'm trying to suprise her.

Default I've seen her examining others homemade quilts.

I can talk to my neighbor and see what see what she recommends.
    The foot pedel is the control for the speeed of the machine.
    Hint; You might ask, when possible, the persons quilts that she has been examining.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    Hint; You might ask, when possible, the persons quilts that she has been examining.
    Ernie
    That's good thinking Ernie, but I'd probably have less of a chance of her finding out If I flat out told her and waited for her to forget(I'm only half kidding, some of the meds mess with her memory). Those gals can't keep a secret if their lives depended on it.
    I'm especially interested in anything without a pedal as she is now to the point where she has to use hand brakes to drive. Her feet have lost alot of power and the last time she drove my truck to the store without hand controls a "spasm" cost me about three grand.

CP are you thinking that the pedal powers the machine like on the antique ones? Because the electric models have a pedal but like someone said earlier they're just speed controls. I think it takes both hands to sew with a machine plus one foot.

Default Sewing machine

CP My Mom is a quilter & fabric artist she says that Bernina and Necchi are the Cadillacs but last she looked ran 1500-1800 bucks new. Also the new ones have more plastic parts. She had a Singer for many years that was just fine. Her recommendation is to advertise in the newspaper for a gently used one as they are often purchased then not used after a while. Apparently they can also be built in to a table allowing for supporting a large amount of material like a quilt. I can get you some good books on the quilting crafting things too. Let me know if you have more questions!

I would take her shopping and buy what suits her. After all I wouldnt want my wife picking out my bee equipment

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    After all I wouldnt want my wife picking out my bee equipment
    You're a smart sensible man I won't buy DH anything utilitarian. Only fluff stuff and unnecessary luxury items. It creates more harmony.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Well folks, I'm off work for the afternoon to watch kids so that she and my mother and her best friend can go shopping for sewing machines. They even had a meeting last night and researched every store within sixty miles that has ever offered sewing machines...
    I gave her cash to buy lunch and a hand full of trinkets and "borrowed" my credit card back from her for the day to minimize the damages.
    Thanks all for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by cow pollinater View Post
    They even had a meeting last night and researched every store within sixty miles that has ever offered sewing machines...

Well, I hope the damage isn't too bad.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Between Iddee and Summer that's all the info and
    expertise one could want. Summer you have as many
    sewing machines as I do fishing rods!!!!