Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bulk honey prices and market outlook

824K views 1K replies 169 participants last post by  The Honey Householder 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Deflation , then inflation and currently a whole bunch of de-leaverageing going on in this crazy economy, which I hear from the majority with crystal balls, that is only going to get worse as a recession or a depression .
Heard some packers had dropped their offering prices......... hadn't noticed any downward pricing going on the store shelf's,to the contrary , prices were actually going up there.
A Canadian honey broker recently had a offer out for 1.50 Canadian,picked up in your yard, drums lost , for 10 loads, alot of phone calls later the order was filled and she is working on another order for the same price,I hear. Canadian dollar was trading around 1.25 US. That may be GOOD PRICE at present market conditions........ but I doubt it.I don't think supply and demand have entered the big picture yet.Other Current Canadian offers were 1.40. UK honey is selling at up to £2.30 per pound in BULK- source Bee -L.
Maybe that supply and demand won't enter the pic if the packers get there way.

I must remind myself that honey is not one of those necessity foods like bread and milk and that I don't need to be quite as greedy as some of those wall street folks

#2 ·
Heard some packers had dropped their offering prices......... hadn't noticed any downward pricing going on the store shelf's,to the contrary , prices were actually going up there.
A packer friend of mine will tell you it takes several months for the prices to work themselves through the system. It makes him crazy to put honey on the shelves at a cheaper price than what it costs him, or not be able to lower prices in a timely manner, but that is the nature of stocking those shelves.

A Canadian honey broker recently had a offer out for 1.50 Canadian,picked up in your yard, drums lost , for 10 loads, alot of phone calls later the order was filled and she is working on another order for the same price,I hear. Canadian dollar was trading around 1.25 US. That may be GOOD PRICE at present market conditions........ but I doubt it.I don't think supply and demand have entered the big picture yet.Other Current Canadian offers were 1.40. UK honey is selling at up to £2.30 per pound in BULK- source Bee -L.
Maybe that supply and demand won't enter the pic if the packers get there way.
We try to hold our honey until at least Jan-March of the next year, hoping the glut of harvest is run through and the price recovers a bit. Doesn't always work but selling when everyone else is usually isn't the best plan.

I must remind myself that honey is not one of those necessity foods like bread and milk and that I don't need to be quite as greedy as some of those wall street folks
We raised our retail prices by 50+ percent (that is basically what wholesale went up also) and it didn't seem to make any difference at all. I think so far, those few who might be turned away by price are being more than offset by those coming in for honey's perceived health benefits. Not sure if this will hold or not, time will tell, I guess.
Sheri

#5 ·
Around here it's $1.55 though light is going for 1.75. Retail is another story...I am seeing local guys get anywhere from $5 lb to $16 lb and selling most of what they can bottle. Fairly good demand for local honey around here...which is nice. :thumbsup:

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Movement of honey

With this slowdown of the economy are packers filling up their warehouses? Apparently there is not so much white honey on the market. If they wish to fill the warehouse do they still have lines of credit? Otherwise I imagine packers are on a hand to mouth situation and risk not finding white honey in a few months.

Jean-Marc

#14 ·
reply LSPender

Thanks loggermike, this particular pdf has been a problem for me, but than alot of simple things can be a problem for me, a self taught puter operator who don't know nothing.If anyone knows how to get this pdf to a copy and paste and wants to paste it here ,I can email them the pdf , it cotains some good info- regarding the current honey market in US

#16 ·
brazil honey exports and prices

Disclosure United States was the main destination for Brazilian exports of honey in October
The Brazilian exports of honey for the month of October remained an uptrend has been in September. The growth was 16% in value and 22% by weight, equivalent to an income of $ 5776533.00 and 2.33 tons of honey. This is the second highest monthly value already exported by the sector, exceeded only by income received in April 2004.

The balance of exports from January to October this year is also quite favorable. During this period, the accumulated revenue was $ 35.48 million, growth of nearly 100% in comparison with 2007. The quantities traded reached 14.99 tons, high of 35.8%.

The data are consolidated by the consultant for removal of the Unit of the Sebrae Agribusiness and national coordinator of Sustainable Integrated Beekeeping Network (Network Apis), Reginaldo Resende. The reference is the System Information Analysis of Foreign Trade via Internet (Alice-Web) of the Secretariat of Foreign Trade (Secex) of the Ministry of Development, Industry and Foreign Trade.

In October, the average amount paid by the honey exported was $ 2.47 per kilo, a reduction of 5% compared to September. However, prices received by the states of Santa Catarina and Parana broke the historic barrier of $ 3 per kilo. Santa Catarina registered reaching new record price of U.S. $ 3.35 / kg, and Parana returned U.S. $ 3.02 / kg

Exporters

Sao paulo took the lead in exports in October, with $ 2.4 million, accounting for more than 42% of the total value exported. Rio Grande do Sul appears in the second in the ranking, with $ 1.3 million, followed by Brazil (U.S. $ 696.8 mil), Rio Grande do Norte (U.S. $ 577.7 mil), Nevada (U.S. $ 464.3 mil), Paraná (U.S. $ 117 thousand) and Minas Gerais (U.S. $ 97.9 mil).

The United States was the main destination for Brazilian exports of honey in October. The country accounted for 69% of the total market, with revenues of $ 3.97 million at a price of 2.40 / kg Germany has already bought 24% of honey exported last month, with prices of $ 2.76 / kg

"The export to Europe, which has always paid more for Brazilian honey, it was possible due to be in October, eight warehouses and related authorized by the Ministry of Agriculture to export honey to the European Union", highlights Reginaldo. This result was driven by the Food Insurance Program (SAP) applied to beekeeping, developed by Sebrae and partners. Of the eight warehouses related, three are in Brazil, two in Sao Paulo, two in Michigan and one in Parana.

Service:
Sebrae News Agency of - (61) 3348-7138 / 2107-9362 / www.agenciasebrae.com.br
The texts and pictures carried by the News Agency of Sebrae may be reproduced freely through the service of the agency and credit the photographer. For more information, the journalists should call (61) 3348.7494, at a time of 10h to 19h.

#17 ·
supply and demand in the honey market

and where OR which way will it will it go?
By Nigel Stevenson and Brett Foley

Dec. 5 (Bloomberg) -- The fundamentals of commodities are “unimpaired” and prices will rebound when a lack of new supply leads to shortages, said Jim Rogers, chairman of Rogers Holdings.

“Commodities will be the place to be if and when we come out of” the downturn, Rogers said yesterday in an interview from Miami. “The only thing where fundamentals are unimpaired are commodities. Farmers cannot get loans for fertilizer now. Nobody can get a loan to open a zinc mine. So we are going to have some serious, serious supply problems before too much longer.”

The Reuters/Jefferies CRB Index of 19 commodities has plunged 53 percent from a record in July on concern that a global recession will sap demand for raw materials.

Rogers said crude oil and agricultural commodities were the most likely to have shortages and the outlook for zinc and cotton had “improved.”

Central banks and President-elect Barack Obama should be careful in responding to the global economic slump, Rogers said.

“It is astonishing how bad they’re reacting this time. It is unfathomable to me what they’re doing and you think some of them would have read some history,” he said.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
#23 ·
price of honey continues to climb

.............on the store shelf. see http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/blog/

Worst drought in Argentina in 70 years, see http://apitrack.com/index_en_open.htm, see
article

ARGENTINA- AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION, ASPHYXIATION BY THE DROUGHT

just wondering if that packer in Kansas who is offering 1.25 or less is getting the drift......
..... heard he wasn't getting any honey at that price

#25 ·
honey price

I don't think the packers are getting it yet. I was offered $1.25 two weeks ago. Just check back in today and Michagan packer offered $1.20. They said they can get all the honey they need from Canada for $1.20 delivered. Well is this true, that the Canadain still has a lot of honey and is selling it this cheap??? I only have 30 ton lift but looking to move it sometime this year!!!
Anyone with answers,:lookout:

The Honey Householder

#27 · (Edited)
The Honey Householder

I have seen no reports ( official USDA) (please see dec. American Bee JOURNAL page 22)
Also see http://www.honey.com/honeyindustry/statistics.asp ....click on National Honey Report for dec 2008 report

of Canadian honey being sold for $1.20 delivered.

We maybe dumb Canadians but we ain't stupid

Irwin

Packers never lie but the odd one has been known to misunderestimate the truth

'They misunderestimated me.' George W Bush

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.