Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

After the lawyer gets paid.

Seems like the beekeepers are actually proxy's for the big packers (Sue,Dutch,etc) stomping down the competition for all that imported honey $$$.
    Kick them when they are down to make sure they stay down.

"Kick them when they are down to make sure they stay down." Yes they should pay dearly for what they have cost the industry, the fines were a slap on the wrist compared to the profits made......heard that Grobe paid good prices for the American honey and Canadian that he did buy . The industry will be alot better off without them .

I believe I read that Groeb and Honey Solutions must also(besides the fine), pay back the avoided tariffs of 40 and 20 million?
    Correct me anyone if I am wrong.

Is it possible the Feds will try to keep them in business just to insure that they get the tariffs paid?

Crazy Roland

I do not recall reading the avoided tariffs would have to be paid, (something to the tune of 180 Million dollars) would you be so kind as point me to where you read this
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 04-30-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Thumbs Up Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Packer calling to lock in honey for 2013 crop at $2.25. This only tells me they are short and/or price of honey is on its way up.

Or both?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

This past week has been an active one for some honey buyers. Bids of $2.25 for white and more surprisingly $2.20 for ELA.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

http://www.law360.com/internationalt...-honey-imports

Law360, New York (June 27, 2013, 4:31 PM ET) -- The U.S. Department of Commerce has set the preliminary anti-dumping duty rate on honey imports from China at $2.63 per kilogram, according to an agency notice released Thursday.

I've had calls the past week from NC TN and TX looking for bulk honey. Had to turn them down as we are not taking new customers at the present time. Currant price is ex white clover 2.95 in barbell. Water white locust/bush honeysuckle.3.95. Could have sold it all last week. Folks we have a mess I got a call from been friend in MI bees falling apart. Snotty. Brood no high mite levels. I'm talking 1400 hives. Hearing same thing from mud west and north west. Bees already going downhill. Remember neonnicginoids stay in ground and increase yearly. The bees came up from FL and made a box. Two to three weeks later they started to go downhill. Then they brought last load up...two weeks later and they looked good...after being in MI they start to collapse. Corn all around. My opinion...nictinoids in Henbit and other vegitatio. In and around fields. Looks like a disaster for a crop. Hearing SD looks bad and lits corn where sweet clover/alfalfa use to be...how high will price go and how much adulteration will we see?

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    ..after being in MI they start to collapse. Corn all around.
    Rick, what kind of honey is made up in MI this time of year ?
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

$2.95, $3.95? News to me and I get a lot of calls as well. I have only heard positive reports up to this point from our area. This isnt really the place for this discussion but snot brood, not EFB? Looking at this logically if the bees were recently brought north and werent on location during corn planting and given the fact that the corn has yet to tassel. Where is the exposure? I am not saying there arent hives with problems, certainly those are disturbing reports, just questioning the certainty with which you are stating the cause.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    I've had calls the past week from NC TN and TX looking for bulk honey. Had to turn them down as we are not taking new customers at the present time. Currant price is ex white clover 2.95 in barbell. Water white locust/bush honeysuckle.3.95. Could have sold it all last week.
    At that price I would have to take on new customers.

Kieth... bass wood, clover and star thistle. Rick....I'm surrounded by seed corn here in michigan and we not seeing a problem. Have had similar problems before. What seems to have helped is pollen patty feeding

Lightbulb Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Quote Originally Posted by sjvbee View Post
    What seems to have helped is pollen patty feeding
    Thanks SJVBEE, and pollen sub..... really.

Lots of clover blooming in the alfalfa fields within days of cutting around here. 7-10 days after alfalfa cutting many farmers are spraying it(alfalfa and blooming clover) with Cyhalothrin! Major loss of field bees and queen losses. All the pollen sub in the world isn't going to stop that. Still planting corn here also. That's 2 months of drift contamination!
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    alfalfa cutting many farmers are spraying it(alfalfa and blooming clover) with Cyhalothrin! Major loss of field bees and queen losses. That's 2 months of drift contamination!
    Shannon, does many keepers up your way stay in contact with the growers and land owners around the bee yards
    to prevent such losses or do they drop the bees and hope for the best?

Most of the farmers are aware of the bees in the area. They apparently don't care. One in particular can see my hives from the field he sprayed. He told me he THOUGHT the bees were far enough away.....300 yards is awfully close to be spraying a product that clearly has a warning about honeybees. Also they are applying to vegetation in bloom WHILE THE BEES ARE FORAGING. This is not the property owner where the bee are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    Most of the farmers are aware of the bees in the area. They apparently don't care. .
    Well... there you go, there's your answer, It's up to the keeper to make sure that the bees are in safe forage area not anyone else. At the end of the day we as keepers are the ones that pay for it, the farmers are trying to farm, we on the other hand are merrily guesses when we cross pathes, other than pollination. Good luck and hope the bees recover.

So when I am out shooting my guns where I have permission it's up to the neighbor to make sure his cattle are out of the way of stray bullets?

Do you see cattle flying over fences..... like bullets & bees ?

You are responsible where the bullets & bees go.

Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast