Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

>>Cool to be asked though...

Darn right thats cool!
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Thumbs Up Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Better yet you didn't need to accept that price. Thats the best.

Chinese honey ordered off the shelves in Britain

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-shelves.html#

The honey wars are heating up

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/en/busi...ief-12-12.html

The customs agencies have also busted a business in the central city of Da Nang, and one in the southern province of Tay Ninh, for declaring their honey exports to be made-in-Vietnam.

Upon checking the exports, the officials found that hundreds of tons of honey were actually produced in China with the counterfeit Vietnamese origin labels.

Dinh Quyet Tam, chairman of the Vietnam Beekeepers Association, said Chinese honey has been repeatedly disguised as originating in Vietnam for export, seriously hurting the domestic beekeeping industry.

The fraudulent practice stems from the fact that Chinese honey is not favorable in some countries, since there are concerns regarding its quality and safety, Tam said.

Tam added that Chinese honey attracts a 221 percent tax in the US, including import, value-added, and anti-dumping tariffs, while its Vietnamese counterpart is taxed only 16 percent.

“Chinese exporters have to pay around US$6,000 in tax for a ton of honey, while the figure for Vietnamese exporters is only $450 a ton,” Tam said.

Huynh Thanh Binh, deputy head of the Dong Nai Customs Agency, also said the fake made-in-Vietnam labels help Chinese exports enjoy the preferential taxes granted to Vietnamese products under agreements reached when the country joined the World Trade Organization.

Chinese honey recall in Britain a hoax

The UK honey recall report turns out to be a bogus report. It remains a mystery where it came from. Some think that the internet reprinted an old report from 2002. On Friday we were told about it, and it appeared on Monday on the DailyMailco.UK website as a current news story.

There is a new report that aired this morning on National Public Radio:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...with-suspicion

This segment was prepared prior to the indictments in Florida for fraudulently entering Chinese honey through false categories such as rice syrups.

Ron

CPNA International, Ltd.

List of firms at FDA and their products ( HONEY ,syrup) subject to Detention without Physical Examination (DWPE) under this Import Alert

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia...alert_111.html

Real simple, buy American honey at a premium. Give the commercial guys what they deserve. After all, third world countries dont have the inspections/laws/rules that we here in the US do, they practically get away with murder.

Just the same as a guy offering local honey that he bought in large quantities from other states. Crooked.

If I run out of honey this winter (probably will) I will buy from a local Beek that I know, and I will NEVER touch honey on a supermarket shelf again, especially if it says Product of Mexico or Product of China. Dont need to. I know enough local beeks to get honey from, and I am not talking resale, im talking for personal use only.

Support American Beekeepers!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

There isn't enuf honey produced in the USA to cover the demand. So, honey must be imported to meet the demand.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

At 14:35 inside story on honey market in China...

http://www.bon.tv/20/104/7207-bee-hi...e-dec-12.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    There isn't enuf honey produced in the USA to cover the demand. So, honey must be imported to meet the demand.
    From a commercial beekeepers point of view, could you say that if the price was extremely proffitable, that the large beekeepers would be able to expand their operations and sideliners could expand to commercial size, could the US possibly cover the demand for honey??

How much money per pound of honey would it take to get someone like you to expand and concentrate on honey production?? Just curious is all.

I know that if I had enough flatland (permanant bee yard) secured to even reach sideliner status, I would set that as a goal. I dont have enough time to even think about commercial status. But being in California and less than an hour from almonds, I could easily pollinate and then go for honey!!

If you would like to PM me some info on what it would take to produce enough honey from right here in the USA, I would like to hear your thoughts!!

Merry Christmas!!................Jason
    Coyote Creek Bees

Possible? Lets just say it would be highly unlikely. Nationwide honey crops have decreased in the past 20 years from routinely over 200 million pounds annually down to maybe 140 to 150 million pounds on an average year. Meanwhile consumption in the same time period has increased from 200 million pounds to nearly 400 million pounds. That is just too big a gap to bridge even with much higher honey prices. The simple fact is there just arent enough strong healthy hives or enough good bee pasture to make it work.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 12-23-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: UNQ
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Wow, those are staggering numbers Jim!! Thanks for your insight!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Were there enuf beehives to produce enuf honey to satisfy US consumption needs, I predict that the price would drop. There is no way to keep the price artificially high enuf to make beekeeping attractive enuf for Americans to become beekeepers.

It may come down to why someone is a Commercial Beekeeper in the first place.

Were the price extremely profitible so many people would get into beekeeping that the price would go down, making for a less profitible price.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quite true, the supply and demand thing. But what is stopping the buyers from buying the cheaper "out of country" honey before buying the higher priced Made in USA honey? Not that I want that to happen, and as long as every US beekeeper is sold out of honey, then bring on the reserves.

And No, not everyone can be as hard working as a commercial/sideliner beekeeper. And to be quite frank, most people can start up a business of some sort, but not everyone wants to work with bee's!!

I hope prices stay high, after reading some old threads of when honey was like .50 a pound compared to 1.55 or so a pound now!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Try .15/lb, back in the 1960s.

Jim Lyon wrote:
    The simple fact is there just arent enough strong healthy hives or enough good bee pasture to make it work.

The first can be solved with money, the second can not, so the limiting factor is pasturage. Just like real estate, only so much of it. Treat you landowners well, they may be more important than you think. We could be in for fun times when the funny honey gets shut down.

Crazy Roland

Skamberg has a close association with Sue Bee ,so his market analysis maybe has a packer side bias.Sue started buying early last fall on the open market and is still buying. Canadian offerings increased in late January but still below US prices so next to no volume moving at those offerings White honey should command the same premium price on either side of the border, currently it does not

http://skamberg.com/honey.htm

http://www.abfnet.org/displaycommon....articlenbr=177

Source: U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

posted February 2012

ABJ Extra-News Feb 22, 2012 - International Honey Market Update

Below is a new Honey Market Report and attached is a stunning 4-page followup to the Jacksonville indictment. The amount of honey (entered through non-honey categories) seized for fraudulent entry is staggering. If that scheme was not stopped last year, there would have been 50 million pounds or more entering through that one scheme. But no one presumes that is the only scheme at play. The industry must presume that the authorities continue to seek to arrest those smuggling honey to circumvent U.S. antidumping orders.

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...b&e=5229dfa01a

[PDF] the court case -chinese smuggled honey
    Case 3:11-cr-00286-MMH-TEM Document 59 Filed 01/18/12 Page 1 ...
    http://www.truesourcehoney.com/newsr...indictment.pdf

Current market prices are reflective of all the above and a very bad drought in South America

Its just this simple. If people know your a local producer and the work / personal pride you put into your product, they will purchase your product at twice the price. Price is never been a factor in my limited experience.

However, in Beef, the more educated the consumer, the more demand for my beef.

Phil
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

Irwin: Thanks for the Skamberg update. No doubt honey inventories in the US are dwindling. The phone is ringing and offerings for even ELA is around 1.80, white a nickel or so higher. Heady times for sure for those with something to sell.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Thanks, Indeed, Irwin, for the two market reports.

Thanks, Indeed, New KY Beekeeper, for this witness. Indeed, "Quality will be remembered long after price has been forgotten."

There is far more significance in Ron Phipps reports than just what meets the eye. The more you know and understand the more his reports reveal. It pays to read them repeatedly and really try to tease out just what is going on behind some of his statement AND his questions.

Thank you, Mr. Phipps. The more I learn about you the better I like you. Can't say that about everyone I meet.

Cheers,

JohnS

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast