Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

I think you should look into what it costs to send Honey to China. The Duties would make you sick.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    The Duties would make you sick.
    Sorry if I wrote that wrong or confused you. It was meant that the importers could maybe
    be exporting instead. But there would be nothing to export since North America can't even
    supply it's own honey demand. If the duties are not the same for importing and exporting
    there's something wrong.

Importing and exporting is the big leagues stuff.

Without flooding the market with cheaper and possibly tainted honey from other countries wouldn't
    you all agree that the local producers would all get premium selling prices? Since the demand would
    outstrip it's own supply. Why should you have to live by health regulations (bee medication, etc.). While
    some ignore it all and are only out to make a quick buck. If I was a big time honey consumer I would
    be worried where my honey came from.
    There's 10 chefs in a kitchen and still not one will tell you how to boil water unless there's something in it for them.

not a big fan of importing honey but it's just the way it is. if prices of honey go to high on the shelves consumers do not buy the product because honey is not a necessity. also companies look for other sweeteners to use that are cheaper. honey prices are the best that they have been in years. i am worried that someday honey will be too high and it will cause a drop in retail sales. not much good being a large honey producer if the packers aren't buying because they can't move their inventory
    Greg Stahlman; Stahlman Apiaries Inc.

Called about price of pepper honey today...one large fl PACKER OFFERED 1.20(NOT GONNA GET IT FOR THAT), another midwest 1.40. florida packer offered can you beleive
    this?? 40 cents for melter. Same packer imports huge amount chinese honey for years. Mid west packer told me that Argentian crop turned out better than thought and that along with no argentine honey going into Eu that all of it was coming here. that is holding price of light honey steady....if not for argentina 1.80 plus.

Posting links is fine, but please include a summary of where the link takes you and what it shows. This allows the reader to chose whether the link is somewhere they want to go or not.
    Thanks,
    Sheri

Cool Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Rick, I had a packer that just ordered $1.75 a lb for melter honey. I've sold all but 14 ton of 2011 crop for over $2 a lb. It cost to much to produce honey to just give it away, I'm just glad that the beekeeper I sell to understand that.

Greg, I thought the same way a few years back. Most packers in the East don't call producer until they see how Argentain crop is going to be. I've had 3 calls from packers and I haven't sold to these packers in years. This years crop in big time short. My crop was down 34% from last years. On top of my expense up 11% for bees and queens. My honey price only increased 10% across the board. I know I don't produce the # of ton you do Greg, and yes the price of honey is at it highest even, but so is evevything else. Just glad to have got out from under the packers thumb.

$1.75 LBS for melter honey is good. I thought I was doing pretty good selling it for $1.00 a lbs to the local cheapos.

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    Mid west packer told me that Argentian crop turned out better than thought and that along with no argentine honey going into Eu that all of it was coming here. that is holding price of light honey steady....if not for argentina 1.80 plus.
    I would say that bargaining ploy is a bit of a reach, Argentine crop news is about 6 months old. The EU GMO thing is a pretty fluid situation though. cleareyes posted an interesting link on that whole situation, hope it gets reposted.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Honey Market Update…by Ron Phipps
    http://buzzinbeeapiaries.com/honey-market-update

Panjiva is an online resource for sourcing executives to gain knowledge about suppliers and manufacturers around the world.

Panjiva hosts a database of information on over 1,000,000 suppliers, including recent shipments, customer lists, credit reports, certification details, and denied parties lists. It claims to be the first and only online information source designed to provide complete transparency into overseas suppliers. According to Jeff Silberman, chair of the department of textile development and marketing at New York's Fashion Institute of Technology "Panjiva is not just innovative, it's revolutionary"[1]
    By collecting market data from suppliers, Panjiva is also able to produce details of trends within sectors. Information published by Panjiva has been used by news websites such as FT.com[2] and CNNMoney.com[3].

http://panjiva.com/trends/040900 On this particular web site we are tracking trading trends in honey,its HST CODE being 040900, you can adjust the time frame( 2y to 1 mnth ) on the right hand side to see how this changes the trend.By poking around this site you might be surprised what you can find , for instance Odem a Canadian honey broker has imported some honey from India, the president of Odem is also vice chairman of True Source Honey, I am not saying that this honey wasn't from India or wasn't traceable but I no longer believe in the tooth fairy
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 11-01-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: corrections

http://www.apinews.com/en/component/k2/item/16463

Using a google translator, it is the writers opinion a Mr Arturo Hatrick , how the EU community has manipulated the price of honey from SA presently and in the past, his graph is very informative
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 11-01-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spellling

http://skamberg.com/honey.htm

The latest honey report from S Kamberg, dated August 2011 seems to show not much has changed since August but Ron Phipps,in his report in august comments"in 2012 we could see rising prices for both white and industrial grades of honey."This all seems to depend on Europe going into a serious buying mode which doesn't seem to be happening to fast

Very poor pepper crop in florida. Price offers by two packed in Florida ranged from 1.18 to 1.23. Pepper is light amber and had a bite but really isn't that bad a honey. Much much better. Than those little packets u get in
    Restaurant. Guess I'm going yo do some creative marketing...o don't give my honey away to greedy packers!

You may need to make a few more calls, I got 1.30 from the larger florida packer, and got a quote of 1.40 from a large east coast packer, and hear 1.50 floating around from the mid west.

Anyone hearing about some Volatility in the honey market, perhaps some downward movement in packer offerings?????
    The Gong show with GMO pollen continues in Europe and is perhaps showing its effect here as well as in Argentina. Maybe ChinIndia honey is partly to blame, and maybe Europe will get all its honey from China, pollen free, ultra filtered after they buy all that European debt

Thanks kokomo. I later called a Midwest packer and got offered 1.40. I think I need to get some labels and sell as all natural wild Christmas berry honey! It isn't as bad a honey. As some believe... much better tasting than store bought and ten times better than portion pack at kfc. Where r u in Polk Co?I told grown and gold sweet I was not selling for under 1.40

GMO issues certainly have some ramifications in the world market. That argentinian honey that should have been destined will probably end up in the US. How this all plays out remains to be seen. It's in everybodies best interest that the EU folks resolve their issues. It has to be pretty messy because all the players have there own agendas which be in direct conflict with the neighbour. Eventually the Europeans will be able to work something out, but until then it could be another rough ride.

I believe Irwin that chinese honey is being traded in the EU and the chinese didn't have to buy the debt either,at least not yet.

Jean-Marc

If I was a betting man, REAL white or varietal honey will soon command a premium, and Phunny Honey will be near worthless. About the First of the year should be the time of change.

Crazy ROland

GMO ISSUES...IF you had a dairy farm in Europe, and you just happen to feed some corn or how about some of that new round up ready alfalfa, the milk produced as I understand it would have to say on the label " may contain GMO".Apparently all corn is GMO contaminated, no one can find corn seed that does not contain GMO, no even in the remote parts of Mexico. If in Europe, they do not soon tidy this up the can of worms will get a lot larger, and it won't be just honey that's effected.Trade barriers seldom work ,this one will come back and eat the people who started it
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 11-17-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: info added

"If I was a betting man, REAL white or varietal honey will soon command a premium, and Phunny Honey will be near worthless. About the First of the year should be the time of change."

I certainly like your bet or opinion, but your basis for this is theory is ?

Short 2011 US crop?,world shortage of white honey and perhaps coloured honey too? An underfed US packing industry with no crop carry over from last year?
    A robust recession for food commodities, honey is reportedly moving off the shelf well despite its price and quality issues.(some foreign honey has some peculiar tastes)
    ALL of the above and more, please feel free to add

Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast