Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

I'm on it.... with a little luck,,,, and good weather.(Large leaf Linden is still 10-14 days out)

Crazy Roland

The problem is the good weather. I wish I was on it. Seems like a little trickle but the coll wet weather isnt doing much.

It would be interesting to know the actual buyers,packers of the 63.7 million lbs of imported transhipped honey.Where did it end up in the market ?
    No doubt most of it went into the large industrial market and did not affect the wholesale,supplier price of packaged honey,..... or are my simple assumptions wrong again?

I believe that the US consummes 300 million or so pounds of honey per year. So 63.7 million pounds of transhipped honey gets dropped and the US shores , roughly 20% of the yearly usage and you think it won't affect the market? What do you meanby "supplier price of packaged honey"? Is not all honey whether it be in a pound container destined for a store shelf or in a 60 pound bucket destined for a baker packaged? Seems that the price offered to stores does not go down until the packers have made a few bucks for themselves. This happens when beekeeper prices have dropped for awhile, say somewhere betwenn 6 and 12 months. Then some packer wants a bigger piece of the pie and cuts his price a little bit in hopes to lure new accounts. Then the packers if they wish to stay competitive match prices. It's a little tricky if you are paying $1.50/pound and the neighbour got his for say 80 cents/pound. Makes it hard to compete.

Who's to say where that honey went? Several individuals I would think unless the one firm has very deep pockets. I would think that they then peddle it to other packers. Make a few pennies per pound perhaps even 2 or 3 nickels per pound. Then who knows what each individual packer will do with it? The store packs have gotten a lot darker in the past few years.

Jean-Marc

Look in the store at the price of the honey compared to it's tint. I believe you will find the cheapest honey will be very clear, but with a brown hue, whereas the more expensive honey will have more of a golden hue, and not so transparent. Then buy some of the cheap stuff and tell me it tastes like any honey you know.

Crazy Roland

"supplier price of packaged honey"= prices offered to producers

Prices offered did not drop or did they, when this Chinese honey entered the market

I believe the phrase "Two Tiered honey Prices" indicates that Funny honey and real honey are not priced the same. The buyer calling you is looking for real honey, and will be expecting to pay the higher price. I can not say if the price of real honey fell when funny honey entered the market, but if funny honey was removed from the market, I would imagine that the funny honey buyers would create a greater demand for real honey and drive up the price. Read the ABJ report by Richard Adee, and note at what price the funny honey enters this country.

Crazy Roland

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvmhoney.pdf

Number XXXI - #6 Issued Monthly July 14, 2011

Honey Hot Line 763 658 4193

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    I would say that the reports on NY are spot on. Especially concerning my region. I wonder where they get their info from?

I sure hope things improve here or we will bring the state average down.

Thanks for posting this Irwin.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Bees in wisconsin making a nice crop and also heard from a friend in minnesota who is making a good crop. Michigan has also made some honey but overall looks like a average crop at best after north dakota monsoon unless things change quick. Biggest downward push on price is honey I saw in sams club.....5 pound jar for 11.50 or 2.10 a pound retail IN THE STORE. Labeled as white us grade a honey. (wasnt white) NO mention of country of orgin other than us. three guesses whos label is on the bottle.....You guessed it SUE BEE!!! If I was a sue member I would be raising holly u know what. I was offered 1.90 a pound two weeks ago and turned it down as I am selling honey in July like I usually sell in september. Its a shame a beekeepers cooperative is selling honey that cheap...Ill be willing to bet the farm its got some of that honey from across the water in it or someone is loosing money! Sue Members need to be asking some serious questions!!!! AND NOT BELEIVE ALL THEY ARE TOLD EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick, been selling for $2.05 in the barrel and still can't produce enough. There is those out there that like there funny honey and many that DON'T.

Im at 2.00 in barrell and 2.25 in their bucket... I'm going up about a quarter as im selling honey now like its september, july is always slow for me,,,,never seen anything like this. Maybe good thing big companies keep selling crap the consumer is learning and not stupid.

We are at $140 for a five gallon bucket (our bucket that they return). We were at $125 until late Spring (but we told everyone back in January of this year we were going to $140). That is $2.33 per pound in bulk. However, we mostly try to sell wholesale to store so $2.33 per pound is really cheap.

I sell 5 gallons of honey for $180.00 in Totes. Unstrained buckets, at my house go for $150.00 each. The totes I get back to reuse. The buckets not.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I get $200 for honey in 5 gallons if your buying only a few at a time, wholesale to markets $5 a pound in inverted plastic jars.... But this is good honey, light amber/amber holly honey from acidic soil... its good stuff

The dollar is in a deflationary downward spiral. Congress can not get its act together. Thus precious metals-Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium are spiraling upward in price. Thus ALL commodities are moving upward in price due to parity, Honey included. Everyone out there should pay their bills that were made when the dollar was strong while honey is at an all time inflated price. Sadly the flip side is the goods that are needed to run a bee business are also slowly increasing. Good luck and hope you ALL are having a bumper crop with these high prices. We are not doing badly this year and should fall somewhere around 75 or more pounds per hive for the year. TED

According to the USDA, food prices could, should actually drop this fall, as a big corn harvest is expected

http://www.agweek.com/event/article/id/18678/

I ALSO believe in the tooth fairy

Big corn harvest?????
    What a joke!!!
    Lots & lots of water & bunches of unplanted acres!!!
    This alone will not make for a bumper crop!!!

With the dollar falling down all over the world and while China is seeking for bigger volumes of food, I can not see why food prices would come down. Unless we have a serious recession in the US, I dont think food prices will decrease too much.

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast