Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Cool Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Had a packer call me last week $1.60 for Wht/ELA. Way to low on price, and wanted 90 day credit. Come on they want my honey for nothing and want me to fund it too. I didn't sell anything for that low last year. Why would I loan honey out when the banks won't loan me MONEY.

Default Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Prices being offered are still going up.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

What are they? The prices offered that are going up?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Prices in Western Canada are still at $1.50 Cdn/lb. Our currencies are pretty close to being at par. 3 years of short crops of white honey on the world market and the prices haven't really moved up in 30 months or so. Weird.

Jean-Marc

Does that tell you anything about the value of honey of differing colors? Maybe honey is honey.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Honey is western canada is white. A friend sold some brood nest honey (much darker) at$1.35/lb. Won't sell the white honey at $1.50. I sold mine at that price.

Jean-Marc

Interesting it looks like about a 4% increase. If my rudimentary calculations are correct it translates to around $1.15 per lb. The most recent honey report shows Argentine white coming into the US in the $1.48 to $1.58 range, seems like a big margin for shipping and other costs. Maybe someone who understands this better can either correct my math or explain whats going on.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvmhoney.pdf
    And as long as we are trying to make sense of stuff check out the Indonesian white honey imports, looks like it is coming in at about .90 per lb. whaddup?
    Last edited by jim lyon; 11-18-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: additional info

No white honey produced in Indonesia. That´s what you all call Chinese transhipped/relabelled honey.
    The argentinian brokers have always made a very nice margin of profit for their efforts. Some also finance the beekeepers by loaning them operating money. Again they seem to reward themselves generously for their efforts.

Jean-Marc

Gosh Jean Marc thats not what the report reads 14 million lbs. of white honey @.87 0 lbs. of ELA and only 3 million lbs. of la @.83 (again excuse my rudimentary math). Must have been islands full of sweet clover over there last year. Wait a minute Indonesia isnt that the same country that suffered the devastating tsunami a few years back and spent the better part of a week deciding whether they should allow western nations to bring in humanitarian aid? Oooops sorry

THE Chinese route of transshipped honey

http://www.downtoearth.org.in/node/1953

I really wonder if True Source Honey is going to solve anything or help us get rid of this plague, kinda like having the inmates running the jail

Some interesting stats , info at http://panjiva.com/trends/honey

Checking out the suppliers, every kind of honey,blend, syrup and combination of, and suppliers of honey melons here, exported to USA and Canada,more info available for a price, probably well worth the investment.The paper trail of imported honey and syrup is quite easily followed .... until after it clears customs then its lost.The original importer is not necessarily the final customer
    Noticed some shipments are of "not marked " drums,could this be so the final buyer ,packer wouldn't be suspicious of the products actual origin and if it passed the buyers stringent tests it would be marketed

Interesting sites lots of good info. I have talked to a couple of the packers that are involved in True Source and I am convinced that they are sincere. I think, in fairness, we have to look at it from their perspective. It would have to be really frustrating to compete for shelf space or major bulk accounts with the unethical buyers of some of this "honey". Without something like this its not exactly a level playing field if you are trying to offer a quality product.

I would like to agree with you Jim that the packers involved in True Source are sincere and would like to get this " honey" out of the market and not have to compete with it, on the shelf or in the bulk industrial market .However I have some thoughts about this From the packers perspective.
    Seems once the "honey" is confirmed adulterated or contaminated, which usually occurs in the perspective buyers lab ,honey is being held but not paid for , it is returned to the seller, broker and hence moved to the next buyer,ultimately ending up in the market.
    In my opinion the eventual buyer gets a real cheap "inferior " product which he can blend out.Now he can market this product slightly below the competitions price.Nothing like good competition to keep the prices low
    Until we have a clear definition of honey from the US gov't , I see no end to the schemes from the suppliers of an inferior product , those who sell it and those who pass it to the next guy.Just because you didn't pack it doesn't mean you haven't been successful.Large supply usually means low price
    The are many ways of manipulating a market,or holding the price down,allowing this "honey" to enter the market is one I'd say.
    I personally think the majority of this "honey" ends up in the huge industrial market, this I believe forms a base price on all honey shelf or bakery
    A packer I know packs a lot of industrial honey, it is all his own honey and it is white honey.He had a hard time at first convincing his customers it was honey, His sales have grown every year,he gets as much and usually more money for his product in this market
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 11-21-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: correction

Guess we will just have to agree to respectfully disagree on this one. I dont think its fair to lump them all together as being part of a larger conspiracy to drive prices down. If you are in that business you are essentially faced with two options.
    A Compete in this race to the bottom or
    B Stand up and say enough already, I want a level playing field and I want my customers to get real honey.
    Maybe I am just naive but I really want to believe that not everybody is in group A or if they are they want out.

2 WI packers presently only offering $1.45 for LA. One stated he just bought a load of WH out of the Dakotas for $1.50.

Talk of small lot sales of 1-5 drums for $1.75-$2.00
    Last edited by Beeslave; 12-07-2010 at 08:13 AM.

we have had offers for 1.55. from 3 different packers.

What color and moisture content is that $1.55 for?

white. our honey is granulated now but i think they would take anything under 17 %.

Thumbs Up Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

I'm getting to the bottom of my barrels. I have less then 30 left. Been selling for $1.75. Just bumped to $1.80, because of spring package prices. Is there many loads still out there. Hear of a midwest packer looking for honey outside of the midwest area. Sounds to me the price is to high in the midwest or there isn't much left.

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast