Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bulk honey prices and market outlook

824K views 1K replies 169 participants last post by  The Honey Householder 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Deflation , then inflation and currently a whole bunch of de-leaverageing going on in this crazy economy, which I hear from the majority with crystal balls, that is only going to get worse as a recession or a depression .
Heard some packers had dropped their offering prices......... hadn't noticed any downward pricing going on the store shelf's,to the contrary , prices were actually going up there.
A Canadian honey broker recently had a offer out for 1.50 Canadian,picked up in your yard, drums lost , for 10 loads, alot of phone calls later the order was filled and she is working on another order for the same price,I hear. Canadian dollar was trading around 1.25 US. That may be GOOD PRICE at present market conditions........ but I doubt it.I don't think supply and demand have entered the big picture yet.Other Current Canadian offers were 1.40. UK honey is selling at up to £2.30 per pound in BULK- source Bee -L.
Maybe that supply and demand won't enter the pic if the packers get there way.

I must remind myself that honey is not one of those necessity foods like bread and milk and that I don't need to be quite as greedy as some of those wall street folks

#683 ·
Packer called looking for some loads of honey. He offered $1.65-$1.70 LOL. I asked which is it $1.65 or $1.70. I'm glad I had to tell him I was sold out. Those are the prices I sold two years ago. This is early for packers to be calling the producers. Just tells you there isn't the honey being put out on the market. At those prices you have to hold, or find a better market.

#686 ·
I've always wondered about this supply and demand stuff. It's my opinion that the
big players in any industry try to cripple the little guy with their flooding of the market
with their products. At least, it's always seems that way Then the commercial buyers
say that it's a supply and demand thing. Isn't it the same product?

The best example I can think of is the petroleum industry. Ever notice that the prices
for gasoline at the pumps jumps up at the threat of war, instabilty, etc. While it takes
like forever, if never for the prices to lower at their normal prices when all is ok.

The suppliers will say that they have to now pay higher to get gasoline so you
now have to pay more. But wasn't the gas in the pumps now paid ata lower price.
This price gouging is a sad and everyone buys it.

But the gasoline presently in the pumps was bought at cheaper prices.
Sorry for talking about gas, I'm sure it's easier for you to understand
this example since it affect almost everyone on the planet. Food prices
are sure to be the same.

I'm not kocking the big producers they are out to make money.
It's the big buyers that are the culprits, with their stockhoders.
I just wish the little guy could make equal money for his product
that's all. I know that will probably never happen.

#687 ·
I really dont think your comparisons of the oil business to the honey industry stand up to closer scrutiny. Most of the major players in honey marketing are family owned companies or member owned cooperatives. The honey industry, I presume, is a bit too small for the Krafts, Proctor and Gambles and the like to show much interest in. The great thing about our industry, and what you have missed in your post is that the smaller guy who takes the time and effort to market his or her product as a unique local product can command a far higher price than the larger producers who end up having to sell their honey to the major packers in trailer load quantities.

#688 · (Edited by Moderator)
What a about these guys? Scrutiny this Jim:

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/09/02/11-execs-6-foreign-firms-caught-in-huge-honey-sting/

Here's the full indictment:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/iln/pr/chicago/2010/pr0901_01a.pdf

I learned a new thing in that story. Honey Laundering

I'm sure they ain't alone.

Oh look, some more, Jim:

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/01/the-dark-world-of-honey-laundering/

It ain't over:

http://foodwhistleblower.org/blog/22/211

Quoted from the above link:

Schneider reports that four or five of the 12 major honey packers in the U.S. knowingly
buy this illegal honey so they can sell it cheaper and make more money. According to Richard Adee,
the Washington Legislative Chairman of the American Honey Producers Association, "we know who
they are" and "everyone in the industry knows." But no names were revealed in the article.

Honey importer sentenced to 30 months for conspiring to evade US import duties:

http://www.ice.gov/news/releases/1011/101105chicago.htm

What you missed Jim is that I never mentioned anything against the producers large and small.
They are ok in my books. It's the big business corporate types that are the problem.

You show many any industry today and I'll show you some corruption in it!

#689 ·
Lost Bee: First off I have re-read your post and my reply to try to understand the biting tone of your post. If you are implying that all the major American honey packers are involved in deals like this then I simply say that I dont believe there is a body of evidence to support this contention. I have sold to most of the larger packers and would generally categorize them as shrewd but honest businessmen and yes most of these are privately owned businesses, some of them owned by the same family for generations. These links you have posted (and in this "Google age" I don't really care for link posting wars) are all about a well documented case of criminals who got caught doing a lot of unseemly stuff and no one cheered louder when they were indicted than I. Here is a recent initiative that many of the big players in the American honey packing industry are signed onto (and for brevity I will keep it to just one link). http://truesourcehoney.com/ Do you disagree with my statement that the smaller producer/packer has a distinct advantage in the market place by being able to ask a premium price for a quality locally produced product? I see these products all the time in grocery stores of all sizes (including Wal-Mart) asking premium prices, they wouldnt be on the shelf long if they werent selling.

#690 ·
I never implicated any American honey packers. Actually, I just posted stuff from the Internet for
all to read for themselves, with the links so people would know I ain't making anything up. I also
never mentioned any country for that matter in either posts. What other writers say is, what they
say. I just provided the links that's all. I don't know why your indicating that I'm knocking on
producers cause neither of post say anything against any producers.

Oh well good luck.

#691 ·
"These big packers are still using imported honey of uncertain safety that they know is illegal because they know their chances of getting caught are slim," Adee said.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/...ey-may-be-on-u-s-store-shelves/#ixzz1c2IhkuhT
I would say there is almost a conspiracy among the largest US packers to import cheap Chinese honey, if only to remain competitive in some markets.
As far as True Source honey , i think its sorta of a bad joke on North American producers, all honey produced in the western hemisphere can be traced,its what comes from China is the problem

#696 ·
Must be a nice to grow your packing buisness, selling Cheap foreign honey, lets see plants in Michigan, florida, texas and California, where next, the north west USA, and you get every other large packer who is forced to join in the meelee to hold some market share
208 MILLION LBS OF IMPORTED HONEY in the last 18 months, ( 50 % of one years consumption }45 million from India alone ( Adee says there ain't enough bees in India TO produce that amt)Honey market is hot and according to Ron Phipps its going to get a lot hotter

#699 ·
If you are going to post links then maybe not have them be from 1995. Not sure where anyone got the idea that I would defend illegal importation of unhealthy honey. Wouldnt it be nice if our government was actually vigilant about inspecting the purity of the products that come across our borders, no argument there at all. I only have a problem when you start painting all honey packers with the same broad brush, yeah there are a few bad ones out there no question about it. My understanding of the original intent of Lost Bee's post was that the "little guy dosent have an opportunity to make equal money for his product". I pointed out the fact that it is quite common for a smaller guy to get a higher return than a larger guy and I felt I did so in a non-confrontational way. Now if I might politely excuse myself until things settle down here a bit.

#702 ·
The Duties would make you sick.
Sorry if I wrote that wrong or confused you. It was meant that the importers could maybe
be exporting instead. But there would be nothing to export since North America can't even
supply it's own honey demand. If the duties are not the same for importing and exporting
there's something wrong.

Importing and exporting is the big leagues stuff.

Without flooding the market with cheaper and possibly tainted honey from other countries wouldn't
you all agree that the local producers would all get premium selling prices? Since the demand would
outstrip it's own supply. Why should you have to live by health regulations (bee medication, etc.). While
some ignore it all and are only out to make a quick buck. If I was a big time honey consumer I would
be worried where my honey came from.

#703 ·
not a big fan of importing honey but it's just the way it is. if prices of honey go to high on the shelves consumers do not buy the product because honey is not a necessity. also companies look for other sweeteners to use that are cheaper. honey prices are the best that they have been in years. i am worried that someday honey will be too high and it will cause a drop in retail sales. not much good being a large honey producer if the packers aren't buying because they can't move their inventory

#704 ·
Called about price of pepper honey today...one large fl PACKER OFFERED 1.20(NOT GONNA GET IT FOR THAT), another midwest 1.40. florida packer offered can you beleive
this?? 40 cents for melter. Same packer imports huge amount chinese honey for years. Mid west packer told me that Argentian crop turned out better than thought and that along with no argentine honey going into Eu that all of it was coming here. that is holding price of light honey steady....if not for argentina 1.80 plus.

#708 ·
Mid west packer told me that Argentian crop turned out better than thought and that along with no argentine honey going into Eu that all of it was coming here. that is holding price of light honey steady....if not for argentina 1.80 plus.
I would say that bargaining ploy is a bit of a reach, Argentine crop news is about 6 months old. The EU GMO thing is a pretty fluid situation though. cleareyes posted an interesting link on that whole situation, hope it gets reposted.

#706 ·
Rick, I had a packer that just ordered $1.75 a lb for melter honey. I've sold all but 14 ton of 2011 crop for over $2 a lb. It cost to much to produce honey to just give it away, I'm just glad that the beekeeper I sell to understand that.

Greg, I thought the same way a few years back. Most packers in the East don't call producer until they see how Argentain crop is going to be. I've had 3 calls from packers and I haven't sold to these packers in years. This years crop in big time short. My crop was down 34% from last years. On top of my expense up 11% for bees and queens. My honey price only increased 10% across the board. I know I don't produce the # of ton you do Greg, and yes the price of honey is at it highest even, but so is evevything else. Just glad to have got out from under the packers thumb.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.