Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bulk honey prices and market outlook

824K views 1K replies 169 participants last post by  The Honey Householder 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Deflation , then inflation and currently a whole bunch of de-leaverageing going on in this crazy economy, which I hear from the majority with crystal balls, that is only going to get worse as a recession or a depression .
Heard some packers had dropped their offering prices......... hadn't noticed any downward pricing going on the store shelf's,to the contrary , prices were actually going up there.
A Canadian honey broker recently had a offer out for 1.50 Canadian,picked up in your yard, drums lost , for 10 loads, alot of phone calls later the order was filled and she is working on another order for the same price,I hear. Canadian dollar was trading around 1.25 US. That may be GOOD PRICE at present market conditions........ but I doubt it.I don't think supply and demand have entered the big picture yet.Other Current Canadian offers were 1.40. UK honey is selling at up to £2.30 per pound in BULK- source Bee -L.
Maybe that supply and demand won't enter the pic if the packers get there way.

I must remind myself that honey is not one of those necessity foods like bread and milk and that I don't need to be quite as greedy as some of those wall street folks

#961 ·
The Imperial Gallon = 4.546L. The US Gallon = 3.79L. And the little used US Dry Gallon = 4.40L. So, BFB, not only are there two different sizes of gallons, there are three. Many of the folks on this Thread are Canadian. They use The Imperial Gallon.

#1,257 ·
Never saw the response till now: you're right in a manner of speaking with that comment. I was referring to the volume of a gallon. You would be surprised at how many people can't related that a gallon of water is equal to a gallon of anything else in volume (given that both are speaking the same system) The other characteristics change. As the previous poster clarified he was speaking of an imperial gallon, which led to the confusion. Similarly that's why it is annotated with "imperial" or "dry" to differentiate between the systems being used. A gallon is a gallon a pound is a pound ect ect.

As Mr. Lyon pointed out commercial sales are driven by weight and moisture content. And color grade as well. A prime example of why honey is sold on a large scale that way. A gallon from producer A may be 15% moisture level while a gallon from producer B may be 18% ect ect...both gallons are the same volumetrically. 55 units of A or B will fill a 55 gallon container but are different in physical properties.

#964 ·
Yes, weight, in conjunction with moisture content, is the only true measure of honey. A 1 point variance in moisture content will make a roughly 1% difference in net weight.

#963 ·
I suspect that the use of weight has more to do with ancient times when volume was not consistent. Than of course you had false weights as well. But when honey was being stored in hand made clay pots unit of volume could not be used.

#966 ·
The Wikipedia entry for gallon is quite interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

Included is a table summarizing the trio of modern gallon standards Mark mentioned, plus a dozen older standards. Keep in mind that if you are collecting taxes (perhaps on alcohol) based on a given volume, there will be intense interest in having a standard that tax collectors and taxpayers alike can reference!

For instance, there is a 4.35 liter gallon described as "Exchequer (Henry VII, 1497, with rim)". Note the 1497 date. FYI, the Exchequer is a government department of the United Kingdom responsible for the management and collection of taxation and other government revenues.

#967 ·
wiki was where I got those measurements from.

It makes sense to me that if you are going to tax commodities then standard sizes of containers would be a good way to go about doing that.

A ferkin of beer maybe a different volume from a firkin of some other thing.

Did y'all know that a skep was a unit of measure too? A skep of coal for instance.

#968 ·
Honey Update: from S Kamberg http://www.skamberg.com/

October 2013

Every year, the U.S. honey crop sets the tone for the world raw honey market. As the lions share of the 2013 U.S. honey is still coming in, early projections of a better crop than last year are fading away. Although some hot weather at the end of August into September helped add to the honey production pot, the total crop appears to be less than last years crop. The demand for this honey is very high,. Early price projections of 7% to 8% higher than last year for U.S. raw honey are now looking to be more like 10% to 12% higher.

Subsequent honey crops in the world market will follow the price trend set by U.S honey. The industry is still in a situation of exhausting each world market honey crop as it enters the market. This leaves no carry over honey to fall back on as demand strengthens. Any remnants of honey in the world market are held for higher pricing, usually until the next crop year. As long as demand remains strong, prices will remain firm.

The issues that plague the honey market seem to be world wide: Extreme weather conditions, Colony Collapse Disorder resulting in fewer bee colonies, and reduced forage area for bees to gather nectar for honey. This has resulted in reduced honey crops, and heavy demand for this honey has increased prices.

The 2013 Argentina honey crop is sold with the exception of some remnants that are being held for very high prices. The 2014 Argentina honey crop should enter the market in February 2014. This honey will be in high demand by U.S. and European packers. It is too early for price projections for this honey.

Brazil is producing more and more organic honey which is reducing the volume of the regular crop honey. Organic honey sells at a higher price than the regular honey. Prices for regular Brazilian honey will probably be slightly lower than Argentina honey, but the demand for this honey will be high which could increase prices as we move toward 2014.

The 2013 Vietnam Light Amber honey crop proved to be better than last years crop in both supply and quality. Europe has entered the Vietnamese honey market increasing the demand for this honey. Prices for this honey remained fairly level early on, but with Europe competing for this honey, prices have increased and less Vietnam honey will enter the U.S. market.

The 2013 India honey crop is in, and the crop ended up being about average. Demand for this honey is high. Most of the white honey is already sold. The extra light amber and light amber honey is selling quickly, and the prices for this honey have risen.

Most of the Chinese honey crop was being sold to Europe for the past several years with little legal Chinese honey entering the U.S. market. Europe is now experiencing the pains of purchasing Chinese honey that the U.S felt. Adulteration, substandard quality, and circumvention are rampant. Europe is now shying away from Chinese honey and again focusing on South America for much of their imported honey.

The demand for honey in the U.S continues to grow with some consumption projections exceeding 450 million lbs. The U.S. imported over 300 million lbs. of raw honey last year. With the average production of U. S. honey dropping from 200 million lbs. in 2002 down to about 160 million lbs. today, and demand increasing, continued price pressure for both U.S. and imported honey will continue.

#971 ·
That late August/early September heat yielded very little out this way. Overall, some of the lightest fall hives I have ever seen. I would guess that over 90% of our production came in about a 3 week period in July. If I had a "way back machine" I would just strip and treat my bees starting the first of August.

#975 · (Edited)
jim this year i did just that. and i couldnt be more pleased with how my hives look now. heavy as heck and jam packed in a double. fed them 3 gallons sucrose and 5lbs sub. got my early treatment on first week of august. and did the ox dribble last week. hope im set for winter. things sure look and feel a million times better this fall then last. thanks to all the good advice from the "pros"!!!

also i agree the honey came in fast and short\ mostly basswood. sold 38 drums for 2.15 a lb. no complaints here. i guess ill be around for another year!!

#972 ·
If you ever develop that "way back machine" , Ill be the first to order!
Our honey crop sounds like it was exact opposite to your Jim. We had very little honey collected all July, and got blasted with honey production in August. Nice moderate honey flow in September to help pack the hives with stores

#984 ·
Don't want to leave the impression that the honey crop was a disaster....just a bit disappointing at the end. A good beekeeper must super optimistically, yet realistically, some years it pays off, some years it dosent.

#989 ·
This may or may not be news, to some, seems to be fishy, age old problem of transhipped honey, wonder where it could be from?

http://www.apinews.com/en/component/k2/item/24077
VIETNAM - THE COUNTRY PRODUCES SIXTEEN THOUSAND TONS OF HONEY PER YEAR
Featured Wednesday, 11 December 2013 07:55 Written by Analia Manriquez

Be the first to comment!
VIETNAM - THE COUNTRY PRODUCES SIXTEEN THOUSAND TONS OF HONEY PER YEAR
The company DakHoney in the Central Highlands province of Dak Lak, reported that US $ 20 million entered by honey exports after their last shipment to the United States.

In 2013, production of the company reached eight thousand tons, representing half of the national performance of this item.

In the period from January to September 2013 Vietnam has sent the United States a total of 24,048 tons of honey or almost 50% more of the annual production of the country.

#990 ·
Groeb Farms transformed into Natural American Foods ,headquartered in Onsted, Mich. and Smokey the Bear is our USA-made Grade A Honey. In partnership with the USDA Forest Service, we launched the Smokey the Bear branded-retail product in 2013. Smokey supports American bee-keepers by sourcing honey directly from US hives. And even more importantly, a portion of the proceeds from every sale of Smokey The Bear honey go to support the educational efforts of wildfire prevention. Being a good corporate citizen is important to us, and we believe that Smokey is one of the many ways we show it.

Many players with lawsuits and a new player in this game.I hope the dealer is still The American Beekeeper.Its going to be interesting how and when this all plays out, ....maybe it already has

#992 ·
Wholesale pricing is for larger quantities, often trailer load (40,000 + lbs). Current offerings are around $2.10 for white. $1.90 ELA. Assuming you choose to deal with buyers that pay on time with checks that clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.