Bulk honey prices and market outlook - Page 68
Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1362

Default Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

I'd be happy to give you a ring. Everyone around me gets tired of talking about bees...PM me a phone number when you get a chance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Buddy of mine in Manitoba apparently sold 2 loads of Canadian honey to a U.S. packer on a trial basis... more later if it all works out. Honey went for $1.60 U.S. prompt payment, prompt pickup FOB somewhere in Manitoba. My sense of things is that there is far less honey out there than some packers/brokers would like us to believe.

Jean-Marc

Buddy of mine in Manitoba apparently sold 2 loads of Canadian honey to a U.S. packer on a trial basis... more later if it all works out. Honey went for $1.60 U.S. prompt payment, prompt pickup FOB somewhere in Manitoba. My sense of things is that there is far less honey out there than some packers/brokers would like us to believe.

Argentina's honey should be coming pretty soon. Somehow they always seem to be below projection. I think we are poised to see an increase in prices paid to Canadian beekeepers. We are due, it is not greed motivated.

Jean-Marc

How could we possibly know how much is out there? My sense is there's quite a bit actually.

I know a few western guys sitting on many a drum. I don't know how this compares to what's normal though.

If there's adulterated honey entering the USA, then the market can not be expected to behave like a normal market.

Called and talked to a packer the other day because one of my dealers was saying packers selling pallets of buckets for $79 a bucket. All imported Pure Honey and yes $79 a bucket. They was tell me I wasn't the only beekeeper call about there bucket deal.

At half of the going price here, it's only a matter of time before the beekeepers that bottle for the farm market will be bottling and label it LOCAL HONEY. We have been at $160 a bucket by the pallet for a while, but I'm hearing it from my dealers. How are we going to compete with that? Think about it. If you can buy at $1.35 pack and label at $2.15 a lb. as a smaller guy. You can compete with Walmart with the same product they are selling and still be about to price it higher.

duplicate
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 11-27-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: duplicate post - removed

I was told Odem is now offering $1.60/lb. I guess guys have been hanging on to their honey and I also suspect that Odem is aware that the early crop of sunflower, citrus and forest honey has failed in Argentina.

The main flow in Argentina is apparently promising, but some areas are still under water on account of flooding due to excessive rains. I am told it is still to early to tell what the crop will be, seeing as how nobody has started extracting.

A lot of Canadians are still hanging on to their honey and it may look impressive but my sense is still slightly below average crop in Canada. Time will tell.

For sure adulterated honey skews the market. We have been watching it and feeling the consequences of those actions for what seems like forever, but the msot damaging has been the last 3 crops.

Jean-Marc

Canadian honey is like Canadian oil, held in a captivate market,US imports are way up, but a large US packer states they must carefully watch their inventory

I don't understand. How is it that Canadian Honey is a captive (I think you mean) market? We have a monopoly on something? I think the honey market for beekeepers is the exact opposite of a captive market actually. Unless I'm not understanding what you mean.

I think I see the problem. In the spirit of the dog eat dog world of capitalist business, the packer has a certain ideal minimum inventory he needs. As his stock approaches that level, he calculates what is the minimum price he thinks someone might sell to him for. Then he throws an offer out, to see if someone is desperate enough to take it. Then there's a waiting game. After a while if his inventory is not restocked, he'll up the offer a bit to see if it gets filled now.

After all, the packer is in business to make money, and the more money, the better. And where he gets his money, is the difference between what he pays, and what he sells for. The bigger that margin, the better he does.

So the beekeeper is held hostage, and sales go to the most desperate. In my view, a whole change of marketing ideas is needed on behalf of the beekeepers.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

I rarely sell honey in the late summer or fall immediately after harvest. I figure at that time I’m competing against producers who either need immediate cash or migratory types that simply want to clear out their inventory before they leave to a new destination. I’ve found buyers start getting interested in the spring and early summer before the bulk of the new crop honey comes onto the market. I do hate to sit on it more than a couple of years, though, as the color does degrade some in storage.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

That's good thinking. I find the phone rings at that time of year too.

I wish it solved the cheap import issue though. I don't think a marketing board regionally is the right answer, but I think along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I think I see the problem. In the spirit of the dog eat dog world of capitalist business, the packer has a certain ideal minimum inventory he needs. As his stock approaches that level, he calculates what is the minimum price he thinks someone might sell to him for. Then he throws an offer out, to see if someone is desperate enough to take it. Then there's a waiting game. After a while if his inventory is not restocked, he'll up the offer a bit to see if it gets filled now.

After all, the packer is in business to make money, and the more money, the better. And where he gets his money, is the difference between what he pays, and what he sells for. The bigger that margin, the better he does.

So the beekeeper is held hostage, and sales go to the most desperate. In my view, a whole change of marketing ideas is needed on behalf of the beekeepers.

How about a co-operative, where beekeepers pool their honey together, own the packing plant and hire someone to get the best price on the open market for finished packed product.? The profits all go to the member beekeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybee Apiaries View Post
    How about a co-operative, where beekeepers pool their honey together, own the packing plant and hire someone to get the best price on the open market for finished packed product.? The profits all go to the member beekeepers.
    Sounds great ... and such an co-op already exists in Canada.

Its called BeeMaid ....
    In the early 1950’s a few Western Canadian beekeepers had a dream – a vision to form an organization, owned by Canadian beekeepers, that would have the capability to sell their quality Canadian honey throughout the world. Bee Maid Honey commenced operation in 1954 when the Manitoba and Saskatchewan Honey Co-Operatives agreed to market all their honey jointly. In 1961, the Alberta Honey Co-op participated with the Manitoba and Saskatchewan Co-Ops through Bee Maid Honey in developing the export market, and in 1962 began full participation in both the domestic and export markets.

Read the rest here:
    http://www.beemaid.com/about-bee-maid
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Sounds great ... and such an co-op already exists in Canada.

Its called BeeMaid ....
    I was being a bit of a smart ass. I'm a proud member, forgot to mention they also make plastic bottles in house.
    It's a great model, unfortunately greedy independent packers still get in the way of profits for beekeepers. Drag the market down with lowball offers and imported honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybee Apiaries View Post
    That's essentially what some beekeepers in my country have done. They also had to create a public perception that certain honeys are unique, you gotta do that also. As a result the price of honeys produced over here have been leveraged way up.

Not everyone has manuka.
    NW Alabama, 47 years, 22 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

That's the perception. Manuka is just a perception.

When I started in bees it wasn't worth diddly. It tastes bad, you could maybe sell it to a biscuit making factory.

Then some guys re imaged it.

Quote Originally Posted by B&E View Post
    That's good thinking. I find the phone rings at that time of year too.

I wish it solved the cheap import issue though. I don't think a marketing board regionally is the right answer, but I think along those lines.
    Of course. Many conversations I have with buyers begin with them telling me the price that they can currently buy white honey for out of Canada or Argentina. BTW Sue Honey is a coop as well and claims to be the worlds largest marketing organization. The root cause of low honey prices begins and ends with the “funny honey” that pops up all over the world and all beekeepers are the victims.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I agree Jim, transshipped Chinese crap is the reason for low honey prices, they even have the Japanese fooled, it meets every spec when the Japs send out a order, they always seem to be one step ahead of the adulteration tests.Here in Canada we seem to have one export buyer and 2 large honey packers, the newest one is big into spices, bought its way in , with a 75M purchase of BRONCO BEE, and had to build a packing plant , probably a 5M dollar investment in Mississauga Ontario,Appears they found out the mark up in honey is not like selling spices, so they are low balling on prices O Dam the honey exporter has been and , is busy,, rumors of 3 large US warehouses being used in spring last year to store large quantities of Canadian honey.Warehouses had no windows and birds flew in and out according to truck drivers delivering. The rumor or story goes that over 6 months this honey got US citizenship and increased in value All that being said , its not highly a true story as all imports are documented and would be hard to pull off , but its a good story.Canadian honey like Canadian oil is a captive market

Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast