Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

True Source Honey
    Commerce is initiating an anti-circumvention inquiry to determine whether imports of honey-rice syrup blends are circumventing the antidumping duty order on honey from China. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011...2011-31937.htm
    Federal Register, Volume 76 Issue 239 (Tuesday, December 13, 2011)
    www.gpo.gov

Looks like they are running out of loopholes and countries to ship from, ...but they never seem to give up!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/True-S...search&sk=wall

I am hearing 1.80-1.86, if your not a US producer you are not likely to be offered this price.
    Seems the media attack awhile back on foreign circumvented honey, no pollen in honey on store shelves , and the disruption of illegal trade from China, which reportedly said an estimated 50 M lbs had been eliminated from the US market, has caused this.This and a short US honey crop plus a reportedly world shortage of White honey.A drought in South America has added fuel to the fire.All the planets,stars,ducks and rabbits have lined up for a change.
    Canadian price offerings remain well below what U S producers are being offered and there is not much honey left in Canada.Producers in the southern hemisphere are being offered less than last years price compliments of the GMO problem in Europe and lack of competitive buyers for their honey.

I have often though about Ron Phipps remarks on market manipulation and manipulators in this industry and the effects of these.Timng of information released to the media on what kind of honey is on US store shelves coinciding with the elmination of a large illegal,circumvented supply of Chinese honey has done wonders.What had worked in the past by "manipulators" to Keep prices down seems to have been dicarded by the thought that the consumer is a lot smarter than he is being given credit for.The back bone of the US honey industry, the producer,producer packer is maybe no longer going to have to compete price wise with an inferior product...at least I hope we are going in the right direction for once

2012 honey market outlook..............................HOPELESS. Even at 2.00/lb with rising fuel and operating costs, you would be better of at .80/lb in 1985 terms. Add to this the up and comming hobbists and sideliners along with our very own domestic commercial beeks importing honey and labeling as their own, bees are where you can make the money to survive, or sell yoru honey to gypsies. The commercial honey market is doomed.

I am very intrested as to how you have arrived at this conclusion???
    Please explain!

Quote Originally Posted by simplyhoney View Post
    2012 honey market outlook..............................HOPELESS. Even at 2.00/lb with rising fuel and operating costs, you would be better of at .80/lb in 1985 terms. Add to this the up and comming hobbists and sideliners along with our very own domestic commercial beeks importing honey and labeling as their own, bees are where you can make the money to survive, or sell yoru honey to gypsies. The commercial honey market is doomed.
    Could you please cite an example where a hobbyist or sideliner has imported honey and labeled it as their own? Just curious since I've never heard of any of the beeks that I know doing that. In fact they're proud of the fact that the honey they have is their honey and not some imported slop. When it's gone it's gone, which is why it goes for premium pricing. I have people lining up to buy my honey and don't even blink at the price I sell it at. All they hear is "local, no chemicals used, limited supply, raw" == really good stuff.

I think that your statement about the commercial honey market being doomed is pure hyperbole. I don't know how you came to this conclusion.

2012 honey market outlook..............................hopeless. Even at 2.00/lb with rising fuel and operating costs, you would be better of at .80/lb in 1985 terms. Add to this the up and comming hobbists and sideliners along with our very own domestic commercial beeks importing honey and labeling as their own, bees are where you can make the money to survive, or sell yoru honey to gypsies. The commercial honey market is doomed.
    spam, trolling spam
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Simplyhoney's prediction may be true, if we look in the past at record breaking honey prices they are short peaks in waves that go down as well as up.A rising tide that fails to lift all boats is not good.Those packers who lost their supply of cheap funny honey have to buy their honey somewhere.There are as many crooks and thieves in this business as there is on Wall Street and maybe more. The Market is manipulated accordingly to who wants what. Business laws., ethic's seem to fall by the wayside when greed enters the picture.Product of USA may be open to some one's legal interpretation

A certain Canadian broker who was ,is paying 1.65 picked up at producers dock in western Canada, is offering one,two or 10 drums to small Quebec producer packers for 2.25......maybe she should change her name to Rich Source ,like in True Source
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 03-04-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: info added,maybe a vicious rumor,i doubt it

Simplyhoney is only making as a statemnt what Ron Phipps told us as a question. Mr. Phipps alluded to some very big honey packers getting caught in the squeeze, thanks to forward contracts. If you want to live in denial, that's OK by me, but the smart money will accept the 'heads-up' from Mr. Phipps and take action accordingly.

If I had big contracts with big supermarket chains to supply honey, I would be hoping and praying that supermarkets are kind and forgiving entities. Forward contracts are pretty binding! It wasn't a few back yard beekeepers who closed down Enron, Citibank and Bear Sterns.

The best way to sell honey at the moment, is to hand it to someone with a fifty dollar bill in their hand.

In God we Trust. All others should pay cash. If you think gold keeps bankers honest, you are about to see what honey does to societies.

Happy is the man with his tank full!

Cheers,

JohnS

http://skamberg.com/honey.htm
    MARCH
    2012 REPORT

Report seems to be right on the money, except for the prices being offered in Canada, sorta being manipulated , shall I say.Reliable report of honey sold at 1.90, PA, large packer

I'm hearing 1.95+, but I can't sell honey I don't have. Packers are fishing, but there isn't much extra honey out there.

In 1984 ag loan on water white was 61 centss a pound and everyone surrendered the honey because chinee was coming in country in the forty cent range. It wasn't doomed then and not now.

I can't remember $.80 honey in the 80's. Even cutting it loose to the goverment was only in the low $.60's.

From a friend in Chile S.A

http://www.infobae.com/notas/636275-...e-dolares.html

and or

http://www.radionacional.com.ar/engl...ll-honey-.html

I am wondering how much"goodwill" WILL COST MY friends in S.A.
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 03-11-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: cleaned link

Would you believe I was offered. 40 cents/ lb for melter honey!!! Groeb must either think I'm a idiot or they are one! I didn't expect 1.75 but in range of. 80 to 1.25. After all it will blended and sold! Ill use it for feed!

Honey Market Report April 2012 China
    http://www.unicorningredients.com/Ho...April2012.html

Ernie says the market is at 2.00/lb http://www.groebfarms.com/companyvalues/newsletter.aspx

Cool Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Packer called to lock in loads of 2012 crop at over $2. Told them I'll roll the dice since I've been getting $.22 more then offered. These are the same packers that low balled the beekeepers for somany years and some went out of business. Sorry I have to take care of the customers that has kept me in business, and I don't have to wait for my money.
    It's harder for the packers to work the beekeeper over when there isn't any honey in there warehouse.
    Last edited by The Honey Householder; 04-17-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: spelling

if Groeb says its over 2.00 a lb why don't he pay it? most every one is at 1.85-1.90 a lb on orange

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBishop View Post
    Could you please cite an example where a hobbyist or sideliner has imported honey and labeled it as their own? Just curious since I've never heard of any of the beeks that I know doing that. In fact they're proud of the fact that the honey they have is their honey and not some imported slop. When it's gone it's gone, which is why it goes for premium pricing. I have people lining up to buy my honey and don't even blink at the price I sell it at. All they hear is "local, no chemicals used, limited supply, raw" == really good stuff.

I think that your statement about the commercial honey market being doomed is pure hyperbole. I don't know how you came to this conclusion.
    When you say no chemicals does that imply no treatment for mites? I am asked the question when I say no chemicals, but I guess i am using some chemicals for mite treatment. last year I said no chemicals as I did not use any thing to prevent or treat for mites. What do you suggest when I sell my honey if I am using treatment?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swarm_trapper View Post
    if Groeb says its over 2.00 a lb why don't he pay it? most every one is at 1.85-1.90 a lb on orange
    I used to hear this when I sold honey to packers in barrels. "We are paying $X.00 per pound for honey, but we aren't buying any." Then, when they do buy some, they don't pay what they said. Got to know how to play the game and make your best bet.

Like Honey Householder mentioned, having a buyer that pays when you deliver is worth something. Maybe a cpl of cents or more. And a track record of paying is good to have too.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast