Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Knap weed honey is GOOD honey. I produce a good crop if I am pollinating Cranberries and stay through the summer in Wisconsin. Have not done that in awhile. Roland, Rick, Come on guys, give Sioux a break. The real problem people for bringing in adulterated chinese honey is the Groeb group. Go outside one of their packing plants and that is all you will see is semi after semi of Chinese "honey" drums. Their "Chinese Language skills" are really very good!! TED

Ted I agree with your above post, I have seen all those chinese barrells. I just amazes me that the FDA lets this go on and then will give us seven kinds of you know what over a nit picky thing. While I have no evidence, I have had many too many people tell me who I would say are in a position to know that Sue si not always honest with their members. I know you like Sue and even if you are totally right and I'm wrong I thnk they could be run better witha much better result for their members

You can also see those drums on Google with street view.....last time I looked they were all green

Billy BEE , according to a reliable source is currently offering the vast sum of 1.47/lb.... doubt if they get a drop of honey at this price, they also had out future contracts ,early part of this year at 1.60...... so one can see how this game of of pricing is being played by this packer

This is never a very good time to sell honey. I don't think it's real unusual for packers to lower their prices a bit when new crop honey first starts to come into the market. No doubt there are always a few producers who are anxious to "cash in" even though the price is a bit lower.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Cool Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Jim, At $2.05 in the barrel. I'm selling everything. I sell to the beekeepers that knows what it take to produce the good stuff. I'm a member of the NO PACKERS ALLOW CLUB!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I don't think it's real unusual for packers to lower their prices a bit when new crop honey first starts to come into the market.
    What determines what a packer/buyer will pay? Availability. Right? So, of course, when more new crop is available the price will go down some. Where there is competition in finding buyers, buyers can set lower prices. When there is buyer demand, producers can set higher prices. No one makes anyone sell or buy, but the market.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Sorry if I stated the obvious Mark and if someone is suggesting that producers are being forced to sell at a lower price guess I missed that, just trying to make the point that the fact a certain buyer has lowered their offering price isn't necessarily a new market trend just a seasonal fluctuation. Unless, of course, you are a Sue member in that case......ooops better not go there. Glad to hear your market is still strong HH I am a bit envious but I am also betting that those same buyers arent going to pay that kind of money with the freight required to get it shipped from the Dakotas.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    Billy BEE , according to a reliable source is currently offering the vast sum of 1.47/lb.... doubt if they get a drop of honey at this price,
    Because of the drought I produced no honey this year and instead am making splits and building colonies by feeding sugar syrup. However, a neighbor customer of mine [because I had no honey] bought Billy Bee honey from Walmart at get this, you heard me right, $1.00 for a 1 pound platic container. Both he and I agreed it wasn't anywhere near as good as mine [I get $6.00 for a 1 pound container, for local treatment free honey]; but nonetheless, when he went back this large display was sold out. I know they carried it for several more weeks because he told me they did.

Kindest Regards
    Danny
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

I was simply trying to make the point that the new fall price from Billy bee , 1.47 certainly made there spring offering of 1.60 ( future contract on 2011 honey) look real good, last year they were at 1.55 ,late fall and I think they moved up later in the new year, but were still not as good as some US prices in late spring
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 08-25-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: info added

Well Drur sounds like you had an opportunity to buy all of Billy Bee's honey at $1.99/lb and sell it back to them at $1.47 a pound. Of course you would of have to open 40 000 bears or a bit more to make a load for them.

Jeran-Marc

Billy BEE , according to a reliable source is currently offering the vast sum of 1.47/lb.... doubt if they get a drop of honey at this price, they also had out future contracts ,early part of this year at 1.60...... so one can see how this game of of pricing is being played by this packer
    I think part of the reason the honey price has dropped is our strong Canadian Dollar. Dollar goes up, commodities go down. Rarely does a high or climbing dollar mean our commodity prices go up or stay the same.

... so one can see how this game of of pricing is being played by this packer
    Yes, we can. How would you play the game, were you a honey packer? It's business. And it is the nature of business to do what is good for the business. It is in a Honey Packers Nature, their best interest, not necassarily yours, to try to get what they need at as low a price as they can. Just as it is in your Nature to try to get as high a price as you can. Any surprises here?

It seems like what is being "discussed" is the same old same old, talk about us and them and we aren't the bad guys. Maybe I am reading too much into the current discussion on this Thread.

Anybody have a list of who is paying what for different grades of honey? Gamber, Sue Bee, and the like?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

The major packers were bidding about 1.75 for white a month ago, wouldnt be surprised if that has softened some with new crop honey coming into the market but I don't personally have any evidence of that. Domestic production is probably going to be a bit under last year. I'm no expert on this but if there are any factors in the world market situation that would dramatically push prices lower I havent heard about it.

Crucial date for international market will be Sep 6th when the European Court will decide if honeys with presence of certain contents of GMO pollen will have to have a specific label warning or not. Market expects a "no" as the decision. German importers are holding any deals until this decision is taken. Acutally they used this to reneg/cancell some contracts... This, combined to the bigger than expected argentine production this year and the current domestic crops in the northern hemisphere is contributing to the softening markets. Situation may change in September when german buyers will come back to the pot with big needs in hands. There will be also APIMONDIA in Buenos Aires, from 20th to 25th of September, when most traders will define the purchases plans for the next 3-4 months . I dont see any economic evidence that could support a bear honey market in the last quarter. I think we may see a "rally" in sarting in few weeks time.

from
    http://www.apinews.com/en/component/k2/item/15787
    SA- THE COUNTRY IS THE LARGEST PURCHASER OF HONEY FROM ARGENTINA

Sunday, 28 August 2011 03:00 Written by Administrator

Journalists Federico Petrera (s) and Guillermo Ledwitch comment on honey exports from Argentina,
    and its most important destinations: USA - 46% and Germany with almost 25% of 44.739 tons exported from January to July.

A beekeeper friend from Chile tells me the price quoted on this site is from one buyer and the actual market price is a little higher from other buyers

talked to a packer yesterday sounds like the price is dropping due to the European union not allowing GMO honey in the country. So where will Europe get all there honey now?

Guess I am not shocked at hearing that, taking Germany off the list of worlds honey customers is bound to have some ramifications, though it may be a bargaining ploy as much as anything. I'm guessing this story has a few more chapters yet to be written. Intrestingly, though, the packers I have talked to recently have been pretty consistent on pricing at around 1.60 white since new crop started coming in later in the summer. I have also had several calls from packers just "checking in". They don't ususally do that when they are awash in honey.

I have gotten an offer to sell some buckwheat honey for $2 / lbs @ my loading dock. But it does have alot of alfalfa honey mixed in it so the real Buckwheat premium isnt there
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast