Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Anyone know the reasons for the softing, lowering of the price?

What softening?

Jean-Marc

Perhaps I was miss reading some prices, I thought prices had dropped off a bit.Canadian buyers are at 1.60 plus?
    Price has dropped in Argentina, this may be a temporary buyer ploy as the bulk of the honey comes on the market
    http://www.apinews.com/es/contenido/...cio-de-la-miel

Cool Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Crops in South America are much better than expected. Combined, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay may have produced 35,000 tons or even 40,000 more than last year. Also, when summer approaches in the Nothern Hemisphere packers tend to concentrate on the domestic crops in USA, Canada, Europe, etc. Prices are softening indeed and sales are very slow for June/July shipments. Most buyers are now looking for 4th quarter deliveries.

That may well be true John but interest is still pretty high among packers and inventories are getting pretty low. Crop prospects in much of the prime white honey production area of the US isnt looking that great. While moisture is pretty good cool temps have really delayed any main flow. Additionally it looks to be a real down year for clover bloom in much of the Dakotas and alfalfa and pastures are rapidly disappearing because of the record grain prices. Additionally it dosent appear that California (too wet), Texas (too dry) or Florida are reporting any bumper crops. Personally I will be pretty surprised if there is enough additonal production in the southern hemisphere to really make much of a difference in the overall world honey price.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I know this is small potatoes, but, back in March I sold 40 buckets of honey for $150.00 each. the same guy wanted 10 more a cpl weeks ago. Gotta hold it for my own outlets, until the next crop comes in.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Price isn't soften here. Was selling 2 gal. buckets for $75 until I sold out a few weeks back. Crop is going to be short or late this year, because of the last 2 months of rain.

Honey is the latest grocery item to go up in price. The National Honey Board reports a pound of the sweet, sticky liquid now costs $5.22, and a supply shortage is partly to blame. from http://www.apinews.com/

Not sure how it is where you are Irwin but here in Southeast Sask there is not going to be much honey. We are lucky if the bees get to fly two days in seven. On top,of that there is not going to be any of those yellow fields. Nobody could get on the land to seed.

I think the whole mid US and the prairies are awash with too much moisture,We here at Souris,MB , have had over 12" of rain in a period of 4 weeks.Less than 50% of all acreage is seeded, volunteer canola, last years seed, is blooming where not sprayed but no bee weather to get it,cloudy, windy ,rainy, no heat not much sunshine.But one must never give up, if conditions change and they often do, a good crop may be had.This weather has been a disaster for most farmers and with the water table being so high, they are already worried about next year

Sold all the honey we could make in 5 gal buckets for $150 each. Wish we could make more honey in these parts, but the price does not appear to be softening.

During the period of March 1-June 5, 2011 62.7 million pounds of honey were shipped from India to the United States. The previous highest average 3-month quantity from China was 19 million pounds. Such an unimpeded colossal flow of honey from India portends catastrophic consequences to American beekeepers and in the final analysis to American Agriculture, which depends for one-third of its food supply on pollination by the bees.

from ABJ Extra - Newsletter June 22, 2011 #2-- Tsunami of Indian (Chinese) Honey Arriving on U.S. Shores

Perhaps this has held the price of white honey down,No doubt this will effect new crop offerings?

Demand continues to outweigh supply for honey in the world market. Prices remain very strong for all the available honey.

http://skamberg.com/honey.htm

Souix is hurting for honey. The midwest is awash in water. So the overall crop in the USA may be the worst ever. Supply and demand will keep prices up. But, there is the parity factor to consider....Along time ago, when the Chicago mercantile exchange--Commodity markets---were formed. Commodities were pegged to the cost of an ounce of gold. So many bushels of wheat or corn equals to an ounce of gold. Well, while honey is not traded in the pits as a commodity. It is pegged to the cost of an ounce of gold...Gold trades for around 1500 dollars an ounce and honey depending on color and flora 1100 to 1400 dollars a drum. Part of the high price is due to parity and a deflated dollar. But as long as gold stays up, honey will do the same. TED

And then there is the Trans-shipped Chinese Honey coming from India.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

How long that will last Mark, is anybody's guess. China is having problems with weather also. So their crop will be down too. TED

Ted - I do not think bad weather will effect China's ability to make "honey". Funny how no matter what country (India, Turkey, Vietnam, Indonesia....) it usually is in green drums and tastes about the same?(Yuck!!!)

Crazy Roland

The American Honey Producers Association and Richard Adee are fighting hard to end this transshipment and duty avoidance activity. Please support the AHPA.

If anyone is using the twetter, I m listed as @johnlaurino and would appreciate exchange market info there too/

Roland, I want some good honey, not yuck chinese honey to eat. When will those basswood sections be ready for me to order?? We produce good quality honey here in Alabama for Souix but I always like to try someone elses with different floral sources from around the USA. TED

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast