Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

From Mid US Honey hot line 763 658 4193 report of SEPT 20 One load sold at 1.46, seller described his crop as fair .Speaker comments on the mid US crop.....not sounding like a good crop

Every one seems to know that except the packers. Then the conversation goes "I heard such and such area had a great crop, lots of honey out there, blah blah blah... some good Argentina, plenty of honey from China or blends or adulterated honey on the market so I can offer you this price", which is usually disappointing from the beekeeper's point of view. It would be kinda nice if they had another tune to their repertoire. I mean it's getting kinda boring hearing the same old song and dance.

Jean-Marc

Wink Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post

Heard the hottest market right now is Asia-Japan paying well above current US prices
    Japan is a very good market right now.....

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    So what is today price? Who's offering what?

Jean-Marc
    The annual question. I don't really have an answer. But the question always makes me think of the year that I called a Northeast Packer about their price. They said that they were paying something kinda high, but they weren't buying any at that time. So what's the point of saying that I'll pay you $X.XX for your honey, but I don't want any at this time?

How much can you sell your honey for Jean-Marc? I'm offering $1.30/lb.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I sold a load $1.60 Canadian, sorta had too, it was sitting outside under tarps in a not so secure place. I was not desperate for the money but I wasn't looking for work that would have been required to get an extra shipping container, move bees to make room for it. Then move the honey wait a whole bunch of time and maybe get an extra 10 cents or perhaps 25 cents. I'm sure the market is going upwards but how high and when will it move upwards? $1.60 sounded fairly reasonable at the time.

Jean-Marc

A good marketing plan has to involve selling "some" honey
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

mark
    wixons paying 1.45

Quote Originally Posted by themrbee View Post
    mark
    wixons paying 1.45
    if wixons is paying 1.45 then the other packers should be checked as he is usually the lowest around

mike

Quote Originally Posted by themrbee View Post
    mark
    wixons paying 1.45
    Jerry has more capital than I do.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    if wixons is paying 1.45 then the other packers should be checked as he is usually the lowest around

mike
    Not so much so since Roscoe died. From what I have heard. I think Jerry's prices are pretty competitive w/ Dutfch Gold and it's subsidiary McLures, in NH.

HONEY MARKET FOR THE MONTH OF September, 2009,issued oct 15 2009

http://www.honey.com/honeyindustry/statistics.asp

see USDA Price Reports, click on National honey report

Maybe the honey "bubble" has burst and prices will be trending downward.Maybe demand has fallen off and the so called shortage will become a oversupply

Using the inflation calculator at http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
    and using some past historic honey prices, bulk honey sold for .50/lb in 1973= 2.40/lb in 2008
    Prices varied over the following years, influenced by large crops, imports, from a record high of $0.61 per pound in 1981 to $0.54 in 1993.

.61/lb in 1981=1.43/lb in 2008 .54/lb in1993 =.79/lb in 2008
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 10-15-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: mistake fixed

Irwin, I just scanned quickly over the NHB report. I'm not sure why you speculate that the honey bubble has burst or why demand is decreasing? I didn't see that there but I wasn't paying attention too closely.

Jean-Marc

Just seems to me that looking at the prices reportedly being paid in sept,in USA, are not reflecting a world shortage of white honey.Plus we have a short US and Canadian crop.No doubt packers are waiting for the official report on these crops
    Current Canadian prices are higher than US,compliments of our strong rising loonie.
    The US prices I think have something to do with the present economic conditions in the US where some commodities are still in the deflation mode.If we look at the last 3 years of prices ,honey has come along way, doubling in price from 2006, and personally I think it has along ways to go, but I could be wrong

I think you are right, Irwin.

I think the big boys are trying to sell the idea that prices will ease because that is what they want to see happen.

No problem. I am doing the same just in reverse. I want to see prices increase, so I talk them up. One simply has to consider the source to decode the message. Buyers used to call any such talk about rising prices “Beekeeper Talk.” So I consider the “Buyer Talk” to be just as tainted.

I’m reading a new book about the healing power of honey now. Surely I am not the only person in the world doing that. (Healing Honey by Dr. Lynne Chepulis http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Honey-.../dp/1599424851)

I see no way but up for world honey prices, even if only as a result of inflation. But with honey being grossly undervalued for what seems like a century, I can’t imagine the price falling substantially. On the contrary, if the trend towards natural sweetness continues, which I feel certain it will, the relative price of honey should keep climbing too.

By relative price, I mean despite the inflation component, honey’s value relative to glucose, oil and toothpaste: honey will be VALUED more, regardless of what it is compared to. Just a rise in price due to failing values in currency does not guarantee honey is keeping pace with inflation. If we lose too much more ground from inflation, we are off the map.

With honey having only about 1 % of the sweeteners market, we sure don’t need many more mouths to embrace it and the demand will have doubled. We don’t need the entire 6 billion people on earth on board. All we really need is a simple test the consumer can do at home to test whether the product is real honey or has been cut with some manufactured syrup.

Cheers.
    JohnS

I have a copy of an old bee magazine from the late 1800s (US) and it has a 17 year diary of a beekeeper whose records showed all of his expenses, sales and pounds produced each year. I will have to find it and post his data soon.

However, based on his experience with honey production, cost and sales (from over 125 years ago) my thoughts are that the price of honey was pretty well stable in the last one hundred years. My opinion is based on the fact that I used his prices and plugged them into an inflation chart from the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank and came up with an inflation adjusted price of slightly over $1 per pound.

The bad news is that I don't know whether this gentleman sold his honey at a wholesale or retail price (which makes a difference). Honey prices appear to have remained constant to the US Dollar and inflation rates. This makes perfect sense whilst we were on a gold standard (until 1971).

Now, I believe that the most important factor in determining what prices we could get for honey at the wholesale (bulk) level is how much our dollar appreciates or depreciates to a basket of other major currencies.

The US Dollar has decreased by 44% since the beginning of 2000 against the EURO (ending May, 2009). This would mean a price increase of honey to maintain the status quo of about 79% since the year 2000.

What was the price of honey in the year 2000? I'm not 100% certain, but was it around $0.80 per pound? If so, then the price of $1.50 US Dollar is just keeping up with the US Dolllar's depreciation against our major trading partners.

The question that I would be asking myself is how much higher or lower is the US Dollar going to go in the next 5 to 10 years? The answer to that question will shape the focus of my bee operation. I believe that the US government has no choice but to deflate the US dollar to pay back all of our nation's debt.

Looking back to the year 2000 how the US Dollar has declined against our major trading partners as a base year and projecting a similar decline in the next ten years, then honey prices should be well over $2.25 per pound at the wholesale level IMHO. On the other hand, we could see $2.25 per pound during 2010 or 2011...

P. S. I am not an economist, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Lightbulb Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

I went back over my books to see what the 2000 crop paid. I had two semi loads that sold for $.62 a pound for wht. honey.
    The US is in a big honey shortage right now. If you are a producer in the US, you are the one setting the prices. I only produced 49 ton this year, which is a short corp for me. The 2009 crop is a thing of the past for me. The packers didn't like my prices but they paid them. I had to hear how they couldn't make anything this year because of the high price of honey. They was just trying to keep there customers. And I'm just one selling my crop to stay in business each year. It's OK that the producer make out some years too. If it wasn't for the producer producing honey, the packers wouldn't have anything to pack. And if it was for you packer packing and selling our honey we would need to produce it.
    I can't wait to see what 2010 crop is going bring. I just hope 2009 wasn't the peek year.

I can't see any reason why the 2010 crop should fetch any thing less than the 2009 one is fetching.

Those poor packers (oh dear, I'm out of tissues to wipe my eyes with) would do better to stop crying about not making any money and start selling honey at prices they too can benefit from. If they can't do that, they might as well go broke as far as I am concerned. They are not good for the industry, nor for me. Anyone who can't sell honey in today's marketplace is not a salesman, he is a supplier only.

My prediction is though, that by the time 2010 is over, everyone will be wishing they had held over the 2009 crop, or part thereof anyway.

The Eastern States of Australia are experiencing drought like you wouldn't believe. Honey flows are just not happening, well, maybe one day per week, but my bees are living day to day, week to week. We get an hour or two of spring every day as the weather goes from frost to fierce dry wind and piercing hot sun. In the evening, we may get another little touch of spring, but there are less bees alive then.

Meanwhile, the retail market's awareness of honey continues to expand. It is only the people within the industry who refuse to change their rhetoric! Bad Luck for them!

Cheers,

JohnS

Just checking on the honey price. I've had packers call me in the past two days looking for honey. I know when the packers start calling the price is getting ready to go up. I only wish I still had a load of honey to sell. The load quotes was above $1.50+. Which for me I sold everything sofar this year early for $1.65 an up, to the smaller guys. I think the shorage is starting to show.

Had a call today....two large packers offering 1.60 for ex la.

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast