Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Deflation , then inflation and currently a whole bunch of de-leaverageing going on in this crazy economy, which I hear from the majority with crystal balls, that is only going to get worse as a recession or a depression .
    Heard some packers had dropped their offering prices......... hadn't noticed any downward pricing going on the store shelf's,to the contrary , prices were actually going up there.
    A Canadian honey broker recently had a offer out for 1.50 Canadian,picked up in your yard, drums lost , for 10 loads, alot of phone calls later the order was filled and she is working on another order for the same price,I hear. Canadian dollar was trading around 1.25 US. That may be GOOD PRICE at present market conditions........ but I doubt it.I don't think supply and demand have entered the big picture yet.Other Current Canadian offers were 1.40. UK honey is selling at up to 2.30 per pound in BULK- source Bee -L.
    Maybe that supply and demand won't enter the pic if the packers get there way.

I must remind myself that honey is not one of those necessity foods like bread and milk and that I don't need to be quite as greedy as some of those wall street folks
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 02-26-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    Heard some packers had dropped their offering prices......... hadn't noticed any downward pricing going on the store shelf's,to the contrary , prices were actually going up there.
    A packer friend of mine will tell you it takes several months for the prices to work themselves through the system. It makes him crazy to put honey on the shelves at a cheaper price than what it costs him, or not be able to lower prices in a timely manner, but that is the nature of stocking those shelves.

A Canadian honey broker recently had a offer out for 1.50 Canadian,picked up in your yard, drums lost , for 10 loads, alot of phone calls later the order was filled and she is working on another order for the same price,I hear. Canadian dollar was trading around 1.25 US. That may be GOOD PRICE at present market conditions........ but I doubt it.I don't think supply and demand have entered the big picture yet.Other Current Canadian offers were 1.40. UK honey is selling at up to 2.30 per pound in BULK- source Bee -L.
    Maybe that supply and demand won't enter the pic if the packers get there way.
    We try to hold our honey until at least Jan-March of the next year, hoping the glut of harvest is run through and the price recovers a bit. Doesn't always work but selling when everyone else is usually isn't the best plan.

I must remind myself that honey is not one of those necessity foods like bread and milk and that I don't need to be quite as greedy as some of those wall street folks
    We raised our retail prices by 50+ percent (that is basically what wholesale went up also) and it didn't seem to make any difference at all. I think so far, those few who might be turned away by price are being more than offset by those coming in for honey's perceived health benefits. Not sure if this will hold or not, time will tell, I guess.
    Sheri

So what are the current bulk prices for honey in the U.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    So what are the current bulk prices for honey in the U.S.?
    I'd be curious to know also. Last I heard was about a month/6 weeks ago. Mark from Sioux said the price had softened to $1.40ish. We haven't had time to think about selling any honey yet.
    Sheri

Around here it's $1.55 though light is going for 1.75. Retail is another story...I am seeing local guys get anywhere from $5 lb to $16 lb and selling most of what they can bottle. Fairly good demand for local honey around here...which is nice.

Wow, $1.75? Is this in semi load quantity? If so I will have to put moving some honey at the top of the list!
    Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by alpha6 View Post
    Around here it's $1.55 though light is going for 1.75. Retail is another story...I am seeing local guys get anywhere from $5 lb to $16 lb and selling most of what they can bottle. Fairly good demand for local honey around here...which is nice.

Default Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Why is the highest paid for "white" honey in U.S.A. for July from Argentina?

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvmhoney.pdf

I dont sell on credit. When I sell to a packer(orange blossom or bakery honey, I bottle some orange and all my other honey)I get paid at delivery or 1/2 at delivery and 1/2 in 14-30 days or they dont get it!

Go down to your nearest coin shop and try to buy a gold coin on 30 day account! No, that is not the way it works with gold. You put up your money and you get the gold.

Gold isn't even medicine, much less food. Honey is all three. It is edible gold.

America must be about the best place in the world right now to buy honey, mostly because no one ever puts up his offering price until after all the eager beavers have sold theirs.

Now you know why the price spiked upwards so high a few years ago. Got us all excited, so we bought new trucks and everything else thinking we were rich. Now we have to sell honey as soon as we get it to make our monthly payments.

Imported honey is much easier to pay more for than local honey. It is a very 'quiet' industry, that importing business. What they pay foreigners is usually kept out of the local bee news. Packers and customers alike will pay what ever they have to, if only beekeepers knew how to value their own product. Then, of course, we have the goody goodies who think it is a crime to ask for profitable prices. Those very pious types usually buy shares in banks. ............. honorable and respected businesses, aye?

Sioux is probably so strapped for liquidity they can hardly pay for what little honey they are getting and no sympathy is likely to come their way from their bankers! So try doing some macro sums on how much money would be lost if one local shop defaults on a few cases of honey and compare that to how much would be lost if a major packer went belly up. People bought shares in Enron because it was so big it couldn't fail. Too many eggs in one basket is not recommended.

Inflate or perish!

Cheers,

JohnS

http://www.honey.com/honeyindustry/s...4countries.htm

average price for May 1.41

average price for june 1.27

price paid for Chinese IN JUNE .98

It was my understanding that the duties, import tax, surcharges on Chinese honey would make it uncompetitive, or well above the current market prices........ so did China drop their prices some more or is this the mislabeled honey called syrup?
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 08-27-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: INFO ADDED

Prices rise in Argentina?

No el nina rains yet

Daily prices payd to the producer, per kilogram per drum, export quality

http://www.apitrack.com/noticias/aaa...el_es_open.htm

Kieth... bass wood, clover and star thistle. Rick....I'm surrounded by seed corn here in michigan and we not seeing a problem. Have had similar problems before. What seems to have helped is pollen patty feeding

Lightbulb Re: Bulk honey prices and market outlook

Quote Originally Posted by sjvbee View Post
    What seems to have helped is pollen patty feeding
    Thanks SJVBEE, and pollen sub..... really.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Lots of clover blooming in the alfalfa fields within days of cutting around here. 7-10 days after alfalfa cutting many farmers are spraying it(alfalfa and blooming clover) with Cyhalothrin! Major loss of field bees and queen losses. All the pollen sub in the world isn't going to stop that. Still planting corn here also. That's 2 months of drift contamination!
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    alfalfa cutting many farmers are spraying it(alfalfa and blooming clover) with Cyhalothrin! Major loss of field bees and queen losses. That's 2 months of drift contamination!
    Shannon, does many keepers up your way stay in contact with the growers and land owners around the bee yards
    to prevent such losses or do they drop the bees and hope for the best?
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Most of the farmers are aware of the bees in the area. They apparently don't care. One in particular can see my hives from the field he sprayed. He told me he THOUGHT the bees were far enough away.....300 yards is awfully close to be spraying a product that clearly has a warning about honeybees. Also they are applying to vegetation in bloom WHILE THE BEES ARE FORAGING. This is not the property owner where the bee are located.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

What is everybody getting paid for honey commercially.

I talked with three today about Pepper honey. All said they were taking it but none would give a price yet. Told me it is too early and one said market is "too volatile right now". Whatever that means.

$2.01 for ELA and $2.10 for white from Kansas.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

I wouldn't call it particularly volatile. Prices always slip a bit when new crop honey starts coming in. Some buyers may hold off a while in hopes of a big crop but my guess is they will be disappointed.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast