Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best State to Be a Commercial Beekeeper

What is the best state to become a commercial beekeeper?
    What state (s) has better potential to make potentially more money?

Default Re: Best State to Be a Commercial Beekeeper

Quote Originally Posted by scituatema View Post
    What is the best state to become a commercial beekeeper?
    What state (s) has better potential to make potentially more money?
    I would have to say IMO that there are many answers to your questions. The answers are going to depend SOLEY on what it is that you hope to do with your bees. Being a commercial beekeeper has many streams of revenue to it. You first have to decide what things you plan to do before this can be answered.

For me, I'm in WV. I'm working at becoming a commercial beekeeper. My line of revenue is going to be from NUC production, queen production, and Honey. For me, that keeps me at home and off the roads which is important at this time in my life. So for me WV is best.
    Thomas Bartram - 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

Massachusetts!
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

"Most of my exercise comes from wrestling with pigs and beating dead horses."
    Mark Berninghausen

Thinking of moving scituatema ?
    Mark Berninghausen

Since commercial means money making, your home state is best. Any other state, and the commute will cost you tom much.

As for me, I prefer the state of insanity.

OK, in reality, you must post what your intentions are. Then we can better answer your question.

Crazy Roland

Well, I am kinda sick of cold new england weather.
    I may relocate.
    I would prefer being close to home but not moving 1000 of miles.
    so long as it bears revenue, it can be honey, nuc production, reselling packages, pollination...
    what states have more competitive advantages?
    (I like the weather in California)

Having 20 hives, you have a steep hill to climb. But being 37 you have relative youth on your side. Where is the best State to own and run a restaurant? It could be anywhere, couldn't it. It has more to do with the owner/chef/businessman than the State, doesn't it?

A money making commercial beekeeping operation can be run from just about most States where commercial beekeeping is done, I would say. Many use more than one State. Prosperous commercial beekeeping operations from NY keep bees in NY and in other States.
    Mark Berninghausen

I had my first beehive when I was in 9th grade.
    I would say, for restaurant business, if you are close to universities, hospitals, businesses , which is im close ,
    you have a better opportunity to make money.
    Did you mean neighboring states by other states?

No, beekeepers from NY migrate to numerous States. Among them are MD, LA, FL, SC, VA, an GA. There may be others, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

I think you should become commercial before worrying about other States.
    Mark Berninghausen

Ok so the new England winters have you down, but I bet the summers are pretty nice. Now if you had bees that you were to move to a southern state then you would have the best of both worlds!!

the op wrote:

Well, I am kinda sick of cold new england weather.

Looks like Babybee solved that one.

Realize that much like running a restaurant, it is location, location, location. Finding an open location(s) may be difficult. The last thing you want is to step on the toes of an olddtimer who knows everyone around. Best would be to find someone retiring and work into the outfit.

Crazy Roland

I suspect the state of starting with a couple million bucks.

That way, if you exercise good business sense, and do everything right, you have a very good chance of being a millionaire in a couple years.
    Last edited by Beregondo; 12-23-2014 at 08:37 AM.

If you're from the North you will find it quite uncomfortable working bees during good weather in the South.

Well, since I know it is location, I asked this question.

Is it that difficult to find a good location that has not been taken yet?
    what should I expect if I step on the toe of old timer? )

if I find someone who is retiring, how much capital are we talking about roughly?

Yes, we have beautiful summer here. I like New England, beautiful, good schools etc but tooo long winter.
    I have a kid and second one is due on April. I really would like to be close to my family. I miss them if I do not see them couple days. Non migratory beekeeping or not too far distance is more suitable for me I guess

go to a no income tax state like Florida for your base operations.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Skip Maryland, very short nectar flow. We sometimes have to feed them in august for them to survive.
    Under 1 year into bee keeping, 4 hives in Maryland

Yes, we have beautiful summer here. I like New England, beautiful, good schools etc but tooo long winter.
    I have a kid and second one is due on April. I really would like to be close to my family. I miss them if I do not see them couple days. Non migratory beekeeping or not too far distance is more suitable for me I guess
    Andy Card built a large business here in New England. His base is Massachusetts.
    http://mvabeepunchers.com/about_merr..._apiaries.html

very interesting book written about him:
    http://www.amazon.com/Following-Bloo.../dp/1585422800

Quote Originally Posted by scituatema View Post
    Non migratory beekeeping or not too far distance is more suitable for me I guess
    Then VT is the State for you. No. Seriously. Michael Palmer has just the situation you are dreaming about. Michael is a stationary beekeeper who is making a decent living at keeping bees. He is getting to that stage in life where having someone to eventually take over would be nice. So maybe you should be talking to him.

Here's something else to think about. It may be easier to change your point of view than it would be to change your State of location. Beekeeping on a commercial level can be a life style as much as it is a way to earn a living it is a state of being. Perhaps as much as being a Chef. If you are a Chef that is. I'm not sure.

Isn't being a Chef a 24 hours a day sort of thing? It isn't just what one does, it's who one is? So I guess you may need to decide whether being a beekeeper is who you are before you decide whether being a beekeeper is what you must do. Some of us do what we do because that's who we have become. Some because that's who we have been called to do. Some because they don't know how to do anything else. And our families come along for the ride because they have no choice.

But I can imagine that Boston must be a hard place to be a commercial beekeeper. Right? Boston may be a hard place to realize your dream. But it could also be a good place to start. You have 20 hives. Have your tried growing your business? Not just your hive count, but the business side of beekeeping? Have you tried maximizing the income potential from each hive?
    Mark Berninghausen

The best state is the one where you will have a lifestyle that suits you.

If you only want to go less that 1000 miles, CA is pretty much out. A lot of people from New England move to FL and find they miss the seasons. The come halfway home to NC or VA. We call them half-backs.

If your reason for moving is anything other than the weather, you are probably going to take your problem with you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast