Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default paraffin wax dipping hives

could someone who is dipping hives please tell me more about like where to get wax reasnable and how much each hive body will use up how much rosin and how much wax i will need for a 2 by 2 ft square tank

pm me with contact info if you would be willing to talk to me on this subject )

Default Re: paraffin wax dipping hives

Where is the best place to buy the rosin?? Anybody have experience with salvaged paraffin?
    AKA BEEMAN800

I imagine any kind of paraffin will work if you add the rosin. Otherwise you need the micro-crystalline. I bought a bunch of paraffin at the craft store (Michael's, I think) when it was on sale, but then I used beeswax instead. I bought my rosin from Mann Lake, who doesn't seem to stock it anymore, and I still have some of that, but many people have bought it from Pacific Coast Chemicals: http://www.pcchem.com/chemical-listing.html Some have bought from Diamond Forest products: http://www.diamondgforestproducts.com/
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF

I am also interested in how much wax it takes to dip a new hive. I assume it takes more wax to dip older equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by yotebuster1200 View Post
    I am also interested in how much wax it takes to dip a new hive. .
    It really depends on how hot your wax is, the hotter it is the less wax is used.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

I Just PM you

It's been yrs but like Keith said. The hotter u do it the less wax. Just don't let it get too hot. I always tried for 375 deg.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

I dug around on ebay a few years ago and found a guy 50 miles from here who had 7000 pounds of paraffin for sale in 10 pound blocks. Do some checking, you might find something similar.
    DarJones - NW Alabama, 46 years, 24 colonies, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Fwiw I was recently informed that beeswax isn't water permeable but other waxes are. I don't think this matters when dipping/boiling???

I'm currently looking for a wax supplier near Jacksonville, Florida.
    Was wondering if anyone knew someone that sold bulk Paraffin and micro crystalline wax near.
    I've been looking I can't find anyone local, trying to shave the $280 shipping cost from candlewic.com.

Thanks.

Will someone please, inform me, of the benefit of this ? Seems building a tank, getting the proper pellet mixture, fire hazard, etc. kinda makes me wonder.

Sorry, to op, to hop on your thread and try to answer my ?'s.

I could see the no painting or warping, etc. in all the videos I've seen, don't mention much more than that.

Plz, inform me. Not a negative response. Jw, pm is fine so OP is derailed.
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Chadf View Post
    Will someone please, inform me, of the benefit of this ? Seems building a tank, getting the proper pellet mixture, fire hazard, etc. kinda makes me wonder.

Sorry, to op, to hop on your thread and try to answer my ?'s.

I could see the no painting or warping, etc. in all the videos I've seen, don't mention much more than that.

Plz, inform me. Not a negative response. Jw, pm is fine so OP is derailed.
    Thx
    We dip with 60:40 paraffin : microcrystalline wax,
    The wax temp runs at about 160 degrees C, the boxes are dipped for a minimum of 6 minutes.
    The boxes boil like potato chips, this is the moisture being cooked out of the timber (dry timber doesn't rot easy)
    We then take the boxes out and let them drain for a minute or so but most of the wax is sucked into the wood by the cooling air in the wood.
    While still hot a coat of paving paint (solvent based) is applied, wait a minute or two and apply the second coat as the first will be touch dry due to the heat.
    We process a box every 10 minutes.
    For all the effort to be able to preserve and apply 2 coats of paint to a box in 10 min is very efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadf View Post
    Looks to me like they are gaining something of a stabilization effect. A lot of wood that is used in small but highly decorative pieces is also very bad structurally. burl punky woods and simply fancy grains also to be weak crumbly wood. It can be made solid with the process of Stabilization, where resins are soaked into the wood via heat, pressure and Vacuum. It is pretty expensive. last I looked into it it cost about $12.00 per pound (finished weight) to have wood stabilized. Once it is, the cells within the wood are actually filled with Resin and the wood looses most of it's properties as wood. little to no expansion contraction etc. Does not absorb moisture. no warping and such. For things like Writing pens I will no longer make a pen out of wood unless it is stabilized. expensive but money well spent. not sure how well it works for hive boxes and exposure to the elements. It does seem to me that soaking boxes in wax may be a similar situation. it is expensive but quite possibly well worth it in preservation of equipment.
    Significant Minority vs Insignificant Majority, 20% of causes produce 80% of the effects.

Where'd you find the best price on Rosin? How much did you buy to get that price.

I've gotten it from Diamond G...good product

Chemicalstore.com - 2 X 55 lb. bags delivered to me for 495.00$ total Rosin was cheap - shipping is expensive

Why did you go with chemical store.com?

Diamond is cheaper?

till ya add the shipping - I just relooked - diamond has free shipping - shoot - well I'll need more I'm sure

Where did u buy your paraffin???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast