Default re-placing bees in almonds?

have a contract with a grower whose 80 acre orchard is in the middle of small ghetto country community and complained about the bees and got the call from the ag commission office that they need to be moved at least 200ft from any house. So what damage will be caused if any if I were to move the bees into the orchard (suggested by grower) 10 or so rows so they will be far enough away from homes. Will the bees loss much of the workforce? They are all 6-8 frame average and worried about weakening the colony prior to blossom. Advice and thoughts please.
    Last edited by bees81; 02-05-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Default Re: re-placing bees in almonds?

Do it at night to minimize losses.

Many say that some sort of obstacle (branches or such) in front of the entrance will induce the bees to reorient as they leave.
    Bill

If you have enough other hives switch them out.

They really want to move them to where they aren't as visible, right? People aren't really getting stung, are they?
    Just because something is new to you, doesn't mean it is new, or revolutionary. Mark Berninghausen

How far away from the buds coming out? One that happens, this will be mute, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTexasJohn View Post
    How far away from the buds coming out?
    Doesn't matter. Bees fly to work, they don't walk. As long as the right ratio is there they will get the job done.
    Just because something is new to you, doesn't mean it is new, or revolutionary. Mark Berninghausen

I had a similar problem in regards to having to move hives roughly 200 feet within the same yard last summer. We moved them on a rainy day and had another rainy day to keep the bees inside. A couple days later there was a cluster (think basketball) of bees clustering by the old spot. There were forages throughout the barley field just lingering. It sucked. Really did.

I think in retrospect I would have taken the 24 hives and just moved them to a new yard.

First I would try to talk them out of it, explaining that the bees are already oriented to this spot and would return and perhaps cause more of a problem. If they insisted I would suggest moving all but one hive so that you can at least catch the disoriented bees that return. If you have additional hives not in the area you can do a "double switch" moving additional hives to the new location in the orchard and move the bees in question out of the area entirely and place them back in location number 2.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

If you move all the hives, you will have numerous foragers trying to find the old location. These frustrated bees are very, very aggressive. The people that are complaining will get a double dose of aggression.

You may move the strong hives (which may reduce the people impact) but leave several weak queenright hives behind to "harvest" lost bees. This has the advantage that it will build up the weak hives and avoid the issues with angry bees that have lost their nests. Once the stragglers are "harvested" you may move those hives the usual "two miles". In almond bloom time, the effective distance to move is much less as the foragers will only be working a 2 acre radius --- they won't be flying across the county looking for something, anything to gather nectar from.

My county ordinance has a 200 foot rule from public roadways, ***unless*** the bees are pollinating a commercial crop. Ask to see the ordinance, as it may contain an exception to the house distance rule.

"Yes, of course I will move them. In two weeks." after petal fall.

I'd leave them for the next 3 weeks and pull them at 90 % petal fall if the grower will go for it ot. Any county with almonds is going to have the government folks who deal with bees so overworked you are likely to be pushed to the bottom of the to do list in the next while. Best leave them. Moving them will cause many pissed off queenless bees that will be a bigger issue than the one at hand safety wise.

Read the county ordinance.If your doing commercial pollination, you should be able to set them closer than 200ft to property lines.

80 acres? And y'all chose to put them next to the ghetto community houses? Why not in the orchard?, hindsight,,Time for some ghetto communication & mike & Ike. As pointed out by JwChestnut, moving them may only complicate/increase the complaints, which are what exactly? By the way, what does the country have to do with this?
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat :)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsofnaturalhoney View Post
    By the way, what does the country have to do with this?
    I think what was meant by "small ghetto country community" was a small community of houses in the country which is poor and ethnically different than the person setting the bees in the almond grove. I'm not sure.