Default mineral supplements for bees

file:///C:/Users/irwin/Downloads/The effect of vitamin B12, cobalt and one water-soluble mineral and vitamin concoction on the development of bee families. - CAB Direct.ht

“Artificial feeding of honeybee colonies (Apis mellifera L.)”
    By
    Prof. Dr. Moustafa H. Hussein
    Plant Protection Department, Faculty of Agriculture, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt.

Incorporation of manganese at 0.2% level in the syrup which added to honeybee colonies six times at Spring reflects on increment of brood rearing by 31%, and surplus sealed honey areas by 28.8% (4).
    Early spring feeding with 0.6% vitamin C and its combination with 0.0015% cobalt or 0.00075% cobalt alone, six time at 6 days interval considerably affects the amount of brood reared and the quantity of honey and wax produced by 1st hybrid of Carniolan honeybee colonies (4,5).

Just wondering if Mr Blue boxes throws a little cobalt ,manganese, etc into that special patty mix.These are very small amounts per serving

Default Re: mineral supplements for bees

Maybe there is some Mn in this: http://latshawapiaries.com/index.php...haw-supplement I couldn't find the ingredients on Joes' website.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    Just wondering if Mr Blue boxes throws a little cobalt ,manganese, etc into that special patty mix
    There are reasons why our lipids, minerals, vitamins, sterols & fats add up to more than 10% of our sub..... there's a lot more to life than just protein, although it's important one.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Keith,you getting any patties into Canada? REPEAT ORDERS?

well of course......what kind of silly question is that.
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 04-05-2014 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Irwin,

I can't say we see an increase in production along the lines of the study you cite. I see about 5-6% increase in the consumption rate of patties with our supplement when compared with a patty without our vitamin and mineral supplement. A colony functions as a single entity and when properly fed, bees as well as other animals normally carry a reserve of essential vitamins and minerals for about four weeks. If colonies must live on an artificial diet alone then balancing out the nutrients is more critical, especially the longer they are on the diet. There is a long term benefit from feeding a properly balanced diet, although short term shortages do add up over time.

I have not seen difference in diets with or without Vit. C. Most organisms, including bees can synthesize Vit. C. However, there are a few exceptions where dietary Vit. C is essential as they are unable to synthesize it.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Joe,

Thank you for the comments, as you know what works in one study, instance, may or may not work in another, re the Egyptian study.I was just wondering if any studies had been done on extra mineral supplements in bee feed.I did notice one spring my bees were aggressively gathering soil where used oil had been spread on a driveway for a number of years.Used OIL CONTAINS RAW MINERALS, but on the other hand, bees in the spring are so short of protein and with no flowers available yet, just about anything with a odor,smell attracts them.