Default question: proportion of US Beekeepers who.....

Question: of the approximate 115,000 beekeepers in this country (according to the NHB) approximately what percentage are providing commercial pollination services and approximately how many are commercial honey producers? (NASS does not have this data - i called them already). thanks if you've got any leads on this.

Default Re: question: proportion of US Beekeepers who.....

I'm worried that any official number won't be counting 'unofficial' beekeepers. I think there may be some who just keep a hive out back and don't want to register, sorta like how not every dog is licensed.

If you could hack the databases of all the supply companies I bet their numbers would show the true number to be double..........

I do?
    Let America Be America Again http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/Hugh...-Again1938.htm
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by jklopchin View Post
    approximately what percentage are providing commercial pollination services and approximately how many are commercial honey producers?
    You will never get an answer to this question on beesource.com. This is a question you might get an idea of from the Apiary Inspectors of America, Apiary Inspectors from each of the States that have them. Anything anyone here contributes will only be a partial/incomplete answer.

That said, I don't know any commercial/migratory operation who does only pollination and no honey production at all. Those stationery nonmigratory commercial beekeepers that I know don't pollinate. But that's a small sample set.
    Let America Be America Again http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/Hugh...-Again1938.htm
    Mark Berninghausen

SQKCRK is right, unlike 60 years ago, most commercial beekeepers do pollination. There are very few stubborn Germans that focus on honey only.

Crazy (and stubborn) Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    SQKCRK is right, unlike 60 years ago, most commercial beekeepers do pollination. There are very few stubborn Germans that focus on honey only.

Crazy (and stubborn) Roland
    I'm German, I'm stubborn, I don't pollinate, and I focus on honey (and stock). I'm not the only one, nice.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC