Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default syrup making and delivery

I currently have a 350 gallon horizontal tank hooked up to a Honda trash pump that recycles the syrup back through the tank while attempting to mix and then its used to pump the syrup through a 150 foot hose. The system is pretty good but the problem is that a whole lot of sugar doesn't get mixed. My first thought is to try and warm the water with asubmersible heater. I currently do not have a large compressor to "liven" up the mix process. does anyone have a similar system that could advise me on getting a more thorough mix? Thank you.

Default Re: syrup making and delivery

My first thought is whether or not your suction side is a sump style or at least at the lowest point as possible while your recirculate is at the top to dump back in.

What temperature is your water?

Crazy Roland

I would think at this time of year, you could leave the tank out in the hot sun to sufficiently warm the water to dissolve the sugar.
    Can't help you in cool temperatures, except to say that you could maybe use your home hot water tank to assist....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

That's correct, the suction side is at one end as close to the bottom as possible and the return is in fact dumping back into the top. I try to let the tank sit in direct sun for a day or so. Our little ole rinky dink home water heater isn't much help. I was thinking of a submersible heater or three. I just thought I would ask around before I took off down the rabbit hole on this one. it would be nice to have one of those outdoor wood-fired water heaters to just tap off of. Lots of goot-n-hot water.

I fill the tank from a garden hose and allow it to sit in the sun. I have also tried adding a couple stock pots of boiling water. This was an exercise in futility.

what are folks using to mix and distribute sugar water when there is a couple hundred gallons to be dispensed?
    is hfcs the better option? It sure seems much easier from my window right now

We find that if the water is not hot enough to cause pain to a frequent welder, it takes way too long to mix.

As for using HFCS, with the equipment we have, it took longer to mix than using dry sucrose because the HFCS pumped so slow untill it was slightly thinned.

Crazy Roland

We find that if the water is not hot enough to cause pain to a frequent welder, it takes way too long to mix.

As for using HFCS, with the equipment we have, it took longer to mix than using dry sucrose because the HFCS pumped so slow untill it was slightly thinned.

Crazy Roland

Roland, what is your mixing and delivery system for sucrose? Are there threads on the forum already pertaining to this topic? I searched around but wasn't able to locate any. im interested in seeing how others have solved this problem.

Maybe look into another form of getting some agitation in there.

Sounds like you have some areas where there isn't enough turbulence. What kind of mixing vessel is this that your using?

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel bee View Post
    the problem is that a whole lot of sugar doesn't get mixed.
    Doesn't get mixed as in it sits in clumps in the corners, or doesn't get mixed as in it's suspended but not dissolving?

With mine I have to physically hold the return hose and point it at corners etc to blast any clumps of sugar into suspension. If the issue is the sugar is suspended but not dissolving you need to increase temperature. A submersable heater can be used provided it's gentle enough not to locally overheat and burn or produce HMF (or whatever it's called)

My first setup was a square tote with a trash pump to pull from the bottom and dump into the top. The pump also runs to fill feeders in the bee yards and the sugar was usually dissolved on day 2. I changed my tank to a 200 gallon tank that is like an oblong cylinder laying on its side shape. I pull from the bottom at one end and pump into the other bottom end. I fill the tank with water from the garden hose, turn on the trash pump and dump the sugar into the top. I run it for 15 minutes after all sugar is dumped. Some may settle to the bottom but after the first bee yard and the pump is running long enough to feed it will be perfectly clear.
    It's much easier using my square tanks for hfcs.

You cannot return it to the top, has to go to the bottom and like mmiller said the other end. That will solve all issues assuming you have a serious hose like a 2 " return not a simple garden hose return line.

Jean-Marc

3" suction and 2" return is whats on it right now. mmiller:are you mixing straight out of the garden hose and letting it mix for 15- 20 minutes and letting it sit overnight, then briefly agitating before feeding? Thank you for the replies. I apologize for not being quicker as I dont have a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post

Crazy Roland
    We fill our totes with 40 gals of water before the syrup is delivered. When the trucker pumps the syrup in, it thins the HFCS. I prefer the sucrose/HFCS blend but HFCS works well in the fall.

Honda pump with a 1" bronze gear pumps works best.

RAK, is that sucrose/HFCS purchased already blended or is that something you do? Whats the source?

I have an old 300 gallon diary tank with an agitator. I put 100 gallons of water in the tank and stick in 2 immersion heaters I bought from Mann Lake a few years ago. If I stick the heaters in last thing in the day, I have almost scalding water the next morning. I turn on the agitator and dump in 1600 lbs or 800 lbs of sugar for a 2:1 or 1:1 mix. I add about a quarter of the sugar, let it mix for about a half hour, then another quarter etc. so I don't overload the agitator motor. Works slick. I lift the tank with the forklift and gravity flow it to a tote for hauling to the beeyards on the back of my truck. I let the agitator spin till the syrup is cool enough to pump in the hive feeders

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel bee View Post
    RAK, is that sucrose/HFCS purchased already blended or is that something you do? Whats the source?
    I get it from mann lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast