Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best label printer for the buck

All you commercial guys that run your own packing houses, what is the best label printer out there? We are getting quotes from companies but they all want to know what it costs us now, which tells me they want to put it right to me the best they can so im leaning towards DIY labels.

Default Re: Best label printer for the buck

Take a look at Primera Technologies.
    I think ours is the 800 or 900.
    And forget the quote routine.
    Buy the best printer you can afford, not the cheapest piece of junk.
    Also we use BOP labels.
    They don't wrinkle with moisture.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Thanks Harry. If you dont mind me asking, what does it cost per label? I have heard in the past to get a thermal printer but i see this ismamlaser printer. Have you ever used a thermal printer?

Are you talking bottle labels, Or shipping labels?

I recommend that you factor in more than one printer line unless you will be keeping a label inventory. Something will eventually stop working when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Are you talking bottle labels, Or shipping labels?
    bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by bdouglas View Post
    I recommend that you factor in more than one printer line unless you will be keeping a label inventory. Something will eventually stop working when you need it.
    yes a point we have also been considering

What is your goal with the labels? If you want to design your own with color, that Primera printer looks top notch. You can also go with a thermal printer if you just want straight black and white, or if you're buying pre-designed labels and just need to add text or barcodes, but you might be better off forking out the extra $1k for that Primera.

We have a thermal printer for creating our barcodes. Im looking for a quality printer that is going to print quality labels. We also already have our labels. We are currently using a crappy printer to make those labels. We are looking to step it up.

There are thermal printers that do color printing. It just seems they are very limited to printing text only or printing in layers.

We have a Xerox Phaser series colour laser that I bought at the recommendation of online labels.com that we have been happy with. Apparently they use a wax based toner that adheres better to labels than other toners.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I am totally confused. Do you have a label applicator? If so, there are many places that will print quality labels on a roll for you. If you are hand applying, they will still work on the roll. How many different labels? What volume of each are you talking?

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    We have a thermal printer for creating our barcodes. Im looking for a quality printer that is going to print quality labels. We also already have our labels. We are currently using a crappy printer to make those labels. We are looking to step it up.

There are thermal printers that do color printing. It just seems they are very limited to printing text only or printing in layers.
    Have you talked to a local Print Shop in your area? The one I deal with doesn't actually print the labels I buy from them. They have a catalog that they order labels from.

The 4 per page labels that go on my 5lb jars cost me 54 cents per page, or about 14 cents per label.

Labels for my 2lb jars and others run about 10 cents each.
    "Most of my exercise comes from wrestling with pigs and beating dead horses."
    Mark Berninghausen

Roland i do not have a label applicator. We are looking at 3,000 labels a month now with possible growth to around 5,000 a month in the next 6 months. We have 3 main labels we use but label up to 12 different products. Like i stated before we have been talking with local print shops, but i dont want to pay 54 cents a label. Our barcodes cost us approx 2 cents per barcode.

Brian,
    Dang Son, you are really growing. That new building is too small already.

I have a front label and a bar code label on the back. Were I designing a new label I would make the bar code part of the front label and save some money. Think about it.

You have 3 labels that you use on 12 different products? How does that work?

Is your bar code a UPC registered bar code number and pattern?
    Mark Berninghausen

If I where you, I would look at a Label-aire 2138. You could buy GOOD color printed labels on a roll, and imprint on a blank field the variable, ie. weight and honey type.

You are in the middle, too many to do by hand, and not enough to justify a labeler. How do you fill and cap?

Crazy Roland

My wife manages the bottling and labeling. We have a part time 24 hour per week employee and considering bringing that employee on full time at this point. The 3 main labels all look the same but are all 3 different sizes. We considered having the background printed and just thermal printing the variables. Ultimately we are just looking for the best approach to an age old problem.
    Mark,
    I have considered adding the upc to the front label, however we really like the current art work and dont want to monkey it up. When i stated we have 3 main labels and 12 products what i mean is the high volume is 3 staple products sold. We also sell actually more than 12 different products so we need probably 20 different labels.

Going back to the variables, yes that makes sense unfortunately we have 4 different sized labels.

Roland what should i expect to pay for a label aire 2138?

Also i didnt mention our fill line. Our fill line is a 42 gallon jacketed bottling tank and a 24 gallon bottling tank all done manually.

I had no idea that you were doing that volume of business marketing honey.
    Mark Berninghausen

We are small but trying to grow and i think we are heading into the correct direction.

Please allow me to do some homework so that I may respond with a degree of accuracy.

Crazy Roland