Default Fall varroa treatment

Finding varroa wash samples come in anywhere from 0-7%.
    I'm wondering if three OA treatments, 7 days apart would make sense, I hate having to use Apivar more than once a year(treated in spring).
    Everything I read on OA sounds promising, just not sure if I'm willing to bet everything on it. Tempted to put strips in the yards with higher levels and fog the rest. Any thoughts?
    PS just ordered a JB 700 blower from Heilsyer Tech.

Default Re: Fall varroa treatment

you need a full face mask/respirator if using oav on a large fast paced scale. From what I understand many beeks in EU who have been using oav for a long time have developed kidney stones which have wrecked their kidneys. Oav should work... treatment right now should be three treatments spaced about 5-7 days apart. Tough to pull the trigger though... using anything new takes some getting used to. Even if everyone here has success with OAV may be other issues that pop up with the use of new equipment
    Tanner Christianson - Woodside Honey LLC

I have started using the lega vaporizer this year and treated in spring right after getting them as first year hives.

I just did it again at the start of August. The bees look great and a recent sugar shake showed 0 mites after a regimen of treatment.

Treat each hive once every 7 days for 3 weeks. That's the accepted vaporizing treatment. It works for me using my lega heat gun! I'm enjoying actual beekeeping instead of biting my nails trying to figure out what's wrong with my hives.

Btw, im sure the jb700 has its place for someone, but i bet if you are a commercial operator, your going to hate it. Takes too much time.

What about apigaurd that is one of the few things that I have found that works well. Not sure if you can get it in Canada?

I use Apiguard during late summer or dearth then OA vaporization during Nov/Dec time frame when hives are broodless.

Other opinions will chime in, but it's whatever works for you and your bees

Quote Originally Posted by Maybee Apiaries View Post
    I'm wondering if three OA treatments, 7 days apart would make sense, I hate having to use Apivar more than once a year(treated in spring).
    Everything I read on OA sounds promising, just not sure if I'm willing to bet everything on it. Tempted to put strips in the yards with higher levels and fog the rest. Any thoughts?
    What do you contribute to your high mite loads? Do you only treat with apivar?

For those of you that use Apiguard:
    Do you notice more robbing tendency than normal?
    I was just wondering if the strong odor has the same effect that feeding Honey Bee Snake Oil on robbing?
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Usually Apivar in spring, Formic in fall. We've been having a cool summer so I'm not counting on warm enough conditions for fall Formic treatment.
    Varroa levels were checked after apivar treatment in early spring, and again in late June. Both showed 0%. I've never seen levels rise so quickly, not sure exactly why.

I noticed rapid mite increase when somone dumps bees close to mine.

Harry I have used Apiguard for years and have not seen any robbing issues associated with it. Nucs and production hives.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybee Apiaries View Post
    OAV has been used by some in Alberta for 10-15 years. Think OAV has been used in Europe for around 20 years. It is very effective to control mites. Three treatments 7 days apart is the minimum. You may have to do more than 3 treatments.

My understanding is Medhat Nasr recommends Apivar for spring treatment and OAV for fall treatment. Need 1 strip of Apivar per five deep frames of bees so likely need less strips in spring and hence lower cost when done in spring. Rotating between Apivar and OAV will help mitigate resistance build up.

Just saw an email this week from Medhat stating that no resistance to Apivar has been found in lab tests in samples they have submitted from Alberta.

How many hives are you running? Maybe you need the vm Vaporizer? There is an active thread and you can google it.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    Just saw an email this week from Medhat stating that no resistance to Apivar has been found in lab tests in samples they have submitted from Alberta.
    Big difference between in lab susceptibility tests and in field results. Just sayin.