Thread: Hauling bees

Default Hauling bees

I saw a bee truck on I-65 for the first time a few days ago, and another today ( actually recognized what it was hauling today! )
    I am considering options, should I be forced into early retirement, looking hard at "hot shot" trucking, as an option just in case.
    All sorts of niche market services to consider.
    Question ; What does it take to haul bees? ( I am a backyard beekeeper, but that only qualifies me to buy more bees every spring )
    what are "typical " weights? distances? routes? fees? charges? equipment requirements ?
    What would you require before you trusted some new guy to haul your bees?
    Thanks for taking the time to discuss this. CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

Default Re: Hauling bees

Do you own a rig?

Quote Originally Posted by tech.35058 View Post
    I saw a bee truck on I-65 for the first time a few days ago, and another today ( actually recognized what it was hauling today! )
    I am considering options, should I be forced into early retirement, looking hard at "hot shot" trucking, as an option just in case.
    All sorts of niche market services to consider.
    Question ; What does it take to haul bees? ( I am a backyard beekeeper, but that only qualifies me to buy more bees every spring )
    what are "typical " weights? distances? routes? fees? charges? equipment requirements ?
    What would you require before you trusted some new guy to haul your bees?
    Thanks for taking the time to discuss this. CE
    The short answers are yes, there is a market and it pays pretty good but be California legal and be prepared for some strange loading hours and situations.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Thanks for the responses.
    I am almost 62 years old & have spent the last 30 years as a shop mechanic servicing engines used in the mining industry. Coal has been 90% or more of our business. With the president's push toward cleaner power, the writing is on the wall. I am looking for a way to extend my contribution to the retirement system for another 3 to 5 years.
    I own a 3/4 ton diesel pick up, but do not currently hold a commercial drivers license (i would probably have to pay a "driving school" to get one)
    As I understand it, CDL is only required for gross weights over 26000 pounds.
    I could probably get some loads for the bare p/u, but a goose neck style trailer would make sense. Trailers a $5-14000.
    so, would a rig to haul 15000 lbs net be "adequate" ? Are bee specific nets or other equipment required? (How much do they cost, where do you get them? Used?) (Specialized insurance? Permits?)
    While my initial thought was to focus on "Texas & east", and "Ohio & south", pretty much everything is an option.
    Do bee truck drivers really get to ignore "time driving" dot rules? (Of course, if I stay "non-CDL" do I have to keep a log book?)
    Always it all comes to money & return on investment. Should I buy the additional nets & equipment just in case I get the offer to haul bees, or just focus on other "less than a load" flat bed work?
    Probably more info than any one wanted to to know, but how else can you answer the nuanced question?
    Again, thanks for your time & responses. CE
    Last edited by tech.35058; Today at 11:57 AM.

Bees are kinda like a bull hauler. Even with a regular license. A log book is still required. We are exempt from the 30 min.break is all.

If your hauling for hire then you will need everything a normal trucker is req to have. If your hauling your own bees then your exempt from hours of service, med card, alcohol testing program and roadside truck inspections under map21.

Grab your second carbon copy and lets go traveling .