Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Mite counting.

5K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Tom G. Laury 
#1 ·
Is there a manufacturer of the mite sticky boards for migratory pallets where the slider tray can be inserted and removed from the side.
Or, I can make them by modifying the "old design" that is sold by Mann Lake.
Eneything that i see on-line are using a tray that is on the back side of the hive.

Thank you,
Ernie

#2 ·
Testers

Hi Ernie
I make myself inserts from 3/16 slats that I can slide in the front. Covered on top with 1/8 hardware cloth and underneath shelf paper ( sticky side up duh ) The sides are say 18" by 4"-5" wide. Not full size but I just extrapolate from the count. Put them under main brood area. Does that make sense?

#4 ·
Mite counting

Thanks Tom!

My problems are:
There is only a 7" gap for the bees to enter the hive and the hive sits on a 3/8" bee way space.
I will try to make up a prototype according to your suggestions.
The recent rains have germinated the fall flora. But, the north east winds will dry out the small plants.
Ernie

#5 ·
Inserts

I usually lift up the hive a little to make it easier to insert, plus after the back of the rectangle is past entrance they have ez access to frames. Let me know if you don't have a good pic in your mind. Slats are 3/4" x 3/16' thick x desired dimensions of testing area plus length for handles.

#7 ·
Southern California

Tom,
You are so right!
The sage has been burned off, grass fires, brush fires, houses, low rain fall, and those Argentine ants.
Some bee keepers do not have a clue what the Argentine ants can do to a bee yard.
I am thinking about moving some of my mating nucs into an area up north with at least 20" average precipitation.
How are you doing with your almond contracts?
Ernie

#8 ·
Hey dude

Funny you should ask I almost started a thread...hang on tight...bees are being offered at 120&130 but growers are waiting for further reductions...don't know where it will end up...There are going to be and are already mucho bees looking for a home...the party is starting early...coming up to my place for food & fun?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.