Hybrid View

Default Q about internet service

I have always had grannynet service, mostly because I am in a rural area, and it the simplest and most affordable. Now, in the days of youtube and other clips, I am considering a high-speed connection of some sort. What are the upsides and downsides of differing services? What is required for rural connections etc?
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Most people in rural areas don't have a lot of choices...you have to see whats available where you are. I live in a very rural area and our local telephone co provides dsl and it works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by randydrivesabus View Post
    I live in a very rural area and our local telephone co provides dsl and it works very well.
    So, what exactly is dsl? You're talking to a computer un-expert here.

Digital Subscriber Line. It's just a digital phone line instead of analog. It will allow you to have an internet connection (varying speeds depending on quality of the line and your selection of service) and your normal phone service over the same line. In other words you are always connected to the internet and can talk on your phone at the same time.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Digital Subscriber Line. It's just a digital phone line instead of analog.

In other words you are always connected to the internet and can talk on your phone at the same time.
    Ahh. Thanks. So is always being connected to the internet a good thing? I think I read a couple of years ago that this makes you more susceptible to viruses and such. Is that true?

Thanks everybody for the info. I'm already feeling more literate.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    I think I read a couple of years ago that this makes you more susceptible to viruses and such. Is that true?
    Yes it can, some ISP's provide modems that have routers integrated with the modems, and/or you can provide your own. Once configured correctly the router will prevent inbound unsolicited traffic. Some will provide wireless routers. Some are free, some charge a monthly fee for networkability.

Whether you wind up on DSL, cable or satellite you will be best served by having a router. I haven't used satellite for internet service so I don't know the hardware and capabilities? But I would think that a stand-alone router could be used if wanted? The only real reason you would want to get a router yourself would be if you want to go wireless to your computer. Wireless is good if you want to have your computer somewhere other than where your line comes in, you are prone to moving your machine or you use a laptop.

They are all different and you need to check into them and do some reading to educate yourself about it some. I have all means available to me here so I have the luxury of choices. You have to shop for the best price and service.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    So is always being connected to the internet a good thing? I think I read a couple of years ago that this makes you more susceptible to viruses and such. Is that true?
    Well yes, that can be true. Just remember to take a break every hour. Maybe walk out and check the bees and see what kind of birds are visiting the feeders...
    If you forget to take regular breaks then just be sure to pop a few extra vitamins and drink plenty of fluids, at least some of which should be non-alcoholic... You'll be fine.

We live in a rural area also and made do with dial up for many years. That got unbearable, slow downloads and constant disconnections and finally we bit the bullet and installed satellite internet. It is great! Not as fast as cable but cable isn't usually available in rural areas nor is dsl. Satellite is much faster than dial up and way more reliable. It is a little pricey, $49 a month, but you don't have to have an additional phone line so that is an offset. Installation can be high, they install a dish on your roof and a receiver by your 'puter. We paid $300, and this was on sale, but it might have come down since we bought it, a couple/few years ago.
    Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    It is a little pricey, $49 a month, but you don't have to have an additional phone line so that is an offset.
    Who in the heck does satellite for $49 a month!! Everyone
    I checked on a year or so ago was like $100 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    Who in the heck does satellite for $49 a month!! Everyone I checked on a year or so ago was like $100 a month.
    The service is Wildblue http://wildblue.com/
    We actually have the fastest pricier service (1.5mbps)at $79.95 a month, but the entry price is $49.95 (512kbps).
    I see installation is free, equipment is $99.00 now too, what a deal.
    They also have a service where you can get back up dial up for $5.95 a month, in case the dish goes out. I paid that for a year and found it was totally unnecessary. It rarely goes out and when it does you probably shouldn't have the puter hooked up anyway.
    Sheri