Thread: First Blizzard

Thumbs down First Blizzard

Well the first blizard of the season is upon us here!

Not a fan at all! 35mph winds with 8" of snow expected.
    Down to 12F this Sunday. Nothing above freezing for
    nearly a week.

I was wondering about you. Better bundle up well and throw another log on the fire!

I suppose it will get to us next.
    We will be heading out to CA in a week/10 days and were hoping the weather held off on the northern route long enough for us to go that way but it looks like we'll be going the southern route again. Owell, I can't wait to get into warm weather again.
    Sheri

Wanna trade? It's lower 70's here today... Wearing shirt sleeves and shorts.
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

Got 5" of snow yesterday and it was 6 F this morning...guess winter is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    Wanna trade? It's lower 70's here today... Wearing shirt sleeves and shorts.
    I'd trade you for Jan Feb but you can keep your June, July,
    Aug!

At least you've got some consistancy. There's light frost when I leave for work and seventies when I come home. I don't get to wear anything with long sleeves and I'm outside all morning. Cold is always misserable but that forty degree swing to get back up to warm is a killer.

Default it looks like we'll be going the southern route again.

What are the highways that you use to get into California?
    Thank you,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Default Temperature swings

Howdy Cow Pollinator!
    Do you call those light morning frosts to warmer temperatures an Indian Summer? Or, has the Indian Summer become history.
    We got enough rain down here to germinate the fall weeds and honey plants. But, we will need much more rain to prevent them from drying out with the north east winds that are frequent in our area.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I just call it November in California. We got enough rain to start us off to and I've heard a few rumors about an el nino year in the makings. I hit my first patch of fog while going eighty the other day. If we can get fog we don't need the rain as consistently.
    As far as honey plants, I see some filaree started in some places.

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    What are the highways that you use to get into California?
    Thank you,
    Ernie
    40, coming in at Needles. We can change our mind in Des Moines and go either way, but I hate winter driving, if there is a chance of bad roads I wanna go south. I have been dead in the water too many times in Wyoming, Utah or Donner.
    Sheri

9 inches of snow here, expecting another 1 - 2 inches; winds gradually dying off after 50mph gusts yesterday. I'm already sick of shoveling!
    Gregg Stewart

Default big storm, or system of storms

got a skiff of snow here with freezin rain on top of it, and lots of wind, makes for interesting driving ,lots of accidents

Over 80 today, thanks to the Santa Anas. I'm sure that'll be a nice change for you, John K, when you make the drive.

Oh, and I'd avoid Donner. Call it superstition...

Our Tucson Winter has finally arrived, 70's in the daytime and 40's at night. But we haven't had any rain since mid-Summer. Some hives are still bringing in a fair amount of pollen, but many are spending way too much time trying to rob their neighbors. Those of you with the much colder weather, at least get a break from robbing.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by walking bird View Post
    Over 80 today, thanks to the Santa Anas. I'm sure that'll be a nice change for you, John K, when you make the drive.

Oh, and I'd avoid Donner. Call it superstition...
    Yeah, if we head south right out of WI we will be in warm within a day or two. The only reason we want to take the northern route is for the change of scenery and if it's all covered in snow anyway.....I can do without that kind of scenery. I used to live in northern CA and still have relatives up there so I know all about those roads between here and there. They can turn bad in hours. There's been more than a couple times I've made a sudden change of route to avoid weather.
    We only got a couple inches of the white stuff from this latest but that is too much for me. I love the first trip out to CA in Nov it is usually pretty nice, it is the Jan trip that is pretty dreary, still, a lot warmer than WI.
    We postponed sending the bees out as it was so warm out there, hoping it cools down a bit before they get there. First truck left Thursday morning, three leaving today and tomorrow, depending on when they limp in, and the fifth some time next week, (hopefully early) then we hit the road too.
    California or bust.
    OH, and it's Sheri here