Default Adding fondant filled frame feeders.

The top boxes of my two hives are still not "packed" with stores.

Would it be helpful if some of the empty frames were replaced with frame feeders filled with fondant?

Or is it just as well to give them sugar and fondant on the inner covers?

I have had some serious, undiagnosed robbing going on and I'm now trying to get my bees ready for the cold.

I have reduced the entrances down to 3 bee widths and stapled a piece of screen across the front to form a sort of tunnel the the bees most navigate.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Default Feeding fondant

This is the second time I!ve heard of people feeding fondant in frames.It might work?Feeding fondant has always been an emergency type feeding for me,usally in march or april when the hives are building up brood and run short of stores and not much coming in.The best way I found to feed fondant, is to place it above the cluster on top of the frames,the heat from the cluster will soften the fondant so the bees can utilize it.I build a 3/4in. shim to place under the intercover To have room for the chunks of fondant.I have not tried feeding straight sugar yet, so I can!t help you there,maybe someone else can.Good luck.

Default Fondant in division board feeder

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    This is the second time I!ve heard of people feeding fondant in frames.It might work?Feeding fondant has always been an emergency type feeding for me,usally in march or april when the hives are building up brood and run short of stores and not much coming in.The best way I found to feed fondant, is to place it above the cluster on top of the frames,the heat from the cluster will soften the fondant so the bees can utilize it.I build a 3/4in. shim to place under the intercover To have room for the chunks of fondant.I have not tried feeding straight sugar yet, so I can!t help you there,maybe someone else can.Good luck.

What I thought of doing is to put division board feeders (filled with fondant) in place of some of the empty frames. I wasn't talking about filling frames with candy.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I have tried filling frames with candy and found that the moisture to soften the candy was not there and the bees starved but other hives that had candy boards in place of the inner cover did feed the bees and they survived
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964