Thread: lazy bees

Default lazy bees

Ok for short new hive this year. We are in a major drought the local lake is down 21 feet this year. I just started beekeeping this year with one hive. Feed them for longest time finally built up two deeps. Then took feed away then they started eating up their stores. Refeed them they went back up to two two full deeps. Goldenrod came in unbelieveable around the house this year despite the drought took the feed away and put on a honey super. Waited two months and took the hony super off last week not even any comb built in it and once again all thier stores are gone for the winter. So I have feed on them again. What should I do about these bees? Is it just a bad year or should I just let them go and get new bees next year? I am already hoping to get a couple of more hives next year but with pulling no honey at all off of these this year my wife is getting to the point that she is ready for me to get rid of the bees. Thanks for any advice.

I woldnt give up yet especially on the bees you have. In times of drought you might not get a flow. even if blooms are present. If the drought breaks and you have a good year at the location next year you are set to go. If it the drought breaks and you find yourself in the same situation as this year. I would look for a differnet location to place the hive. It takes a large area of blooms to produce honey.

Default lazy bees

This makes twice today I agree with riverrat.Golden rod in my area is not something to get excited about,the only time I get any honey from it is when we have alot of rain when it!s in bloom.That may be your problem.If your wife complains to much you might have her read riverrats bylaw at the bottom of his post.(or maybe not)

Thanks for the advice. Should I continue to feed them all winter with the hive top feeder?

they wont use a hive-top when it gets below 50 deg. the baggie feeder and can feders directly on the frames stay a little warmer and are used longer. you might consider the dry sugar on newspaper directly on the top frames as the will use that when too cold for any other feed. we are having a major drought here also- the ground is absolutely dusty and my bees are starving with no stores at all. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin