Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Got my lapband Thursday

I just got my lapband put in this Thursday. I must say it was an easy proceedure. Who else on this board has had it done and how much weight have you lost?
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Anxious hear from your experience MM..... How long
    were you in the hospital??

I was in overnight. Checked in Thursday at 8:00 and checked out Friday at 8 am. They say the band's tightness on top of the stomach will fool the brain into thinking the stomach is full. So the first 30 days are the easy ones to lose the weight. After that the band works by throttling the amount you can eat.

My goal is to get down to 190 pounds from 285.
    Last edited by magnet-man; 11-01-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Ive had mine for over a year. I have lost right at 46 pounds. I am over due for a fill to get the weight loss going again. I was taking niacin for cholesterol and it messed with my stomach and had to have the band loosened a bit. So far I am quite pleased with the results.

JoeMcc
    "Slow Down and Taste the Vanilla" - My Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMcc View Post
    had to have the band loosened a bit.
    JoeMcc
    What do they do, leave some sort of access for future adjustments? How invasive is this surgery? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'll trade my hip replacement info (9/08) for your lap band info. :0)

George

There is an needle accesible port located just under the skin that they inject saline into. Mine is just below the rib cage above and to the left of the belly button.

My surgery only took 20 min. The nice thing it can be removed at any time. Its not like bypass....once commited...you in for the duration.

JoeMcc
    "Slow Down and Taste the Vanilla" - My Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by mattoleriver

I'll trade my hip replacement info (9/08) for your lap band info. :0)

George
    Deal

The lap band takes about 30 minutes to do and it is all done through oscopic surgery. There are between 4 and 5 incisions. All but one is 1/2 inch long. The longer one is about 1 and 3/4 inch. They insert a ring around the esophagus right next to the stomach and is held in place by two stitches. The band has an inflatable ring on the inside. A plastic tube runs from the ring to a round disk that is called the port. The port is place just under the skin. To adjust the tightness of the ring a needle is inserted through the skin and into the port. Saline is added to adjust the band.

Here is a neat you tube video of the procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds_nwlgQztE

here is the adjusting procedure which is done about 6 weeks after surgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeqBAlpWmHU

So I take it that you guys haven't had the kind of problems taunted in the other video's there? I noticed they are all created by the one doctor which performs the min-gastric bypass. And the only complications of that procedure are minor but again videos by the same doctor. I don't put much faith in what is said coming from someone that has nothing to gain from lap banding and everything to gain from their own procedure.

Guess that leaves me wondering what the real story is?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Default unburnt fuel

Bizzybee, I know the video that you are talking about. In the seminars that I attended by doctors that do both, they recommend selecting one or the other based on the type of eating behavior you have.

Gastric Bypass: You eat all the time and eat very high calorie foods.

Lap Band: If you eat big meals and don't consume a lot of high calorie liquid foods like ice cream and milk shakes. Those just go right past the constriction that the band makes.

The lap band is like throttling an engine and the bypass is making the engine less efficient at burning fuel. I know of two people who have had their lap band removed. One because she didn't like being limited on how much she could eat. She had it taken out 2 months after she had it put in. The other one started eating solids too soon and had the band slip.

I decided on the lap band because I do like big meals so I fit there. The other reason is a less efficient engine at burning fuel means a lot more unburt fuel comes out the back end of the tailpipe and I wanted my exhaust to be clean.

Default Lap Band

Just a good question.
    Has anyone changed their diets or activity level before, durring and after the lap Band?
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    Just a good question.
    Has anyone changed their diets or activity level before, during and after the lap Band?
    Ernie
    I have a heart condition so I could not really increase my activity level. I did go through a phase about a year and a half ago where I become really obsessive about eating nothing but oat meal and the low cal sandwiches with no condiments other than muster from Subway. I lost about 20 pounds then, but then old eating habits kicked back in. I have a stressful job and stress will trigger my eating.

With a lap band you have to lose 5% of your weight before they will do the surgery. This is to give them more inside of the body cavity. The week before the surgery you go on a liquid diet of soups and protein drinks like Slim Fast.

During the first week of post surgery you can have "Clear Liquids". Clear broth, coffee, tea, fruit juice (no pulp), lemonade, Popsicles, Gatorade. No milk in your coffee. No carbonated drinks I did Gatorade and coffee.

Week two and three is all of the above and Slim-Fast type products, creamed soups or strained vegetable and meat soups, milk and drinkable yogurt. You can not use a blender to liquefy food. They recommend doing at least some drinkable yogurt to start up the bacterial colonies in your gut. The antibiotic they use kill them all.

For six months no carbonated drinks, only flat beer.

From then on you can have solid foods. You have to chew, chew and chew your food from then on, because it has to be small enough to go through the band. Watch out for sticky food or food that will ball up when chewed. White bread and sticky rice. Jambalaya has sticky rice so my wife may have to modify the recipe. Try to drink your liquids before the meal or an hour after. You want to avoid washing food past the band. Stop all liquid food drinks like Slim-Fast. Those go right through the band and don't give you the act of eating and a feeling of being full.

There you have it, at least what I have read and been instructed to do. Yes it does force you to change your eating habits but that is what it is designed to do.

Default For six months no carbonated drinks, only flat beer.

Thank you for the detailed information.
    I hope that your stress level goes down down and down.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Default Could I have just changed my eating habits?

I need to be careful here because this can go into tailgater.

Yes, I could have just changed my eating habit but it is a a behavior that is very hard to change. There are all sorts of triggers that stimulate eating in people. Some are psychological and some are physical. Believe it or not there is truly a hormone that kicks in during stress that stimulates appetite.

While over eating has a large psychological component, your will is challenged at every meal time. if you compare it to smoking which is physiological and psychological, you don't have to smoke but you do have to eat to live.

The other problem is food advertisements are everywhere on TV, radio and billboards. Now that is what I call constant temptation. Smoker's are not hit by that sort of barrage.

While I have never smoked, I know it is a very hard habit to break. My father was an Oncologist and smoked. He dealt with lung cancer patients all the time. He could never break the habit and died of lung cancer.

Is the lap band a crutch? Sure, but it is one I am happy to use if it will improve my life.

If anyone is thinking of getting a gastric by pass or a lap band, go for it. if your insurance won't pay for it, go down to Mexico. My lap band was only $8,450. That includes the hotel, transportation and surgery. The only out of pocket was my plane ticket to San Diego. My sister a tenured PhD in psychology at Yale was horrified at first. After researching my doctor, she found he actually trained the doctors at Harvard and Yale medical centers. Even if you don't use my doctor, there are a lot of centers down there that do nothing but gastric bypass and lap bands. They do a lot of them and know what they are doing.

Will I recoup my $8,450 investment? I have no doubt, I will be able to do away with some of my prescriptions. My food bill will also dropped. I have a lot more get up and go now!

http://www.obesitycontrolcenter.com/
    Last edited by magnet-man; 11-11-2008 at 07:26 PM.

Congrats MagMan and thanks for sharing. Abstainance
    isn't an option with overeaters. I have quit a lot of
    nasty habits over the years but eating to much is
    probably the toughest one to do.

magnet-man,
    I will assume that there must be some routine check-ups/adjustments to the band as you progress toward your goal. Do you have to return to Mexico each time the band has to be checked/adjusted?
    Is the band typically considered to be a lifetime commitment or is it something that is supposed to be removed when some particular goal is reached?

George

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I struggle with the same problem....

Sounds like you lose most of the weight getting ready and then in the 3 weeks afterwards....

Quote Originally Posted by mattoleriver View Post
    Do you have to return to Mexico each time the band has to be checked/adjusted?
    Is the band typically considered to be a lifetime commitment or is it something that is supposed to be removed when some particular goal is reached?

George
    No, I can get the band adjusted here in the US by a doctor that does the lap band proceedure. A number of major cities have what is called "fill stations". They are sites that do nothing but adjustments of lap bands.

Most people plan to leave them in for life but some have them taken out.

For the two of you here that had them done, what was and is your BMI?

Quote Originally Posted by nursebee View Post
    For the two of you here that had them done, what was and is your BMI?
    I don't remember my BMI. I am 5' 10 1/2" and weighed 285 on October 1st. I was 273 on 10/30 when I had the proceedure. On 11/09 I was 260. I am still not hungry.

What type of nurse are you?

I work on the GOP floor, minimal lap band exposure. Nurses with more years than me (and some surgeons) remember problems with prior lap band systems. They are doing more of them now. Great marketing programs on TV ought to have more folks searching them out. Link is for BMI calcs. Yours was just above 40 prior to OR.
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.htm