Thread: B.T. use ????

Default B.T. use ????

Can I spray B.T. ,(that I got from Gardens Alive), directly on the frames, to prevent wax moth damage, for winter storage of my honey super frames and wax? And if so, how much?

Yes I'm sure you can.
    "Sundance" can help you w/ the particulars like measurements etc. He is an avid Beesource input giver. You can find him by doing a search of his name or even BT. He sells BT in bulk on beesource also.

No, unless Gardens Alive is a member of beesource. Only BT from Sundance or another beesource member can be used.

Yes...you can.

<humor> If you carefully edit your post so that the supplier of your BT isn't mentioned, Iddee might change his answer! </humor>.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Yes, I was joking.
    BT is safe enough to spray a few bees if you are careful and don't drown them.

B.t. is a bacteria which occurs in different strains. Strains are targeted to specific pests. While you may be able to safely apply the Bt that you purchase at your local nursery to the honeycomb, that doesn't mean that it will control wax moths.

also, in TN, you're probably dealing with small hive beetle (SMB). SMB is NOt controlled by Bt.
    WayaCoyote

As stated above, the different strains of BT target specific insects only. If you have the most common sold in garden stores, bacillus thuringiensis "kurstaki", (Dipel). No, it will not work on wax worms (none of it kills the moths, the worms die after ingesting it). If it is bacillus "aizawai" (Xentari BT), it will work mixed at 3-4 tsp per gal. Being a bacteria, it has no storage life after being mixed. It has worked quite well for me, storing comb and on infected weak hives. Also as stated above it does nothing to SHB.