Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Should I start with one colony or two ?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  tecumseh 
#1 ·
I'd like to purchase a startup colony of the Russian comrades (purple) and (blue) varieties. Is this wise and will the colonies get mixed up ?

#4 ·
I started with two and it paid off well. One of my packages didn't take, for whatever reason. The other one did fine. I kept learning from the one that did well and ordered another package 6 weeks later. This time that package took. Had I had only one hive and it failed my confidence would have been shaken and I wouldn't know what to expect from a successful colony. Because I had two I didn't skip a beat.

Also, once the hives are established if you somehow loose a queen in one hive you can always steal a frame of eggs from the other hive for them to try to make a queen from. I can't recommend enough starting with two hives. Once you've got bees you're going to want at least two hives anyway.

#5 ·
2 or more colonies

I started w/ one nuc. I later captured some swarms and then I could compare the hives w/ ea other. I had a few different things happen to different hives and the others helped by using some brood etc.
I think 2 or more(if you can afford them?) would be helpful in learning and growing. But 1 hive will work as long as there is beesource to ask folks questions!!!!

#10 ·
I am certain there must be some cross alignment in the universe since I (and likely for the last time this century) agree with what jpk said....

go with three... with three you can expect one boomer, one average and one dud. three gives you a much broader platform to compare one with the other. if you need boost one it is much better to take one frame from a boomer than to take one frame from an average performing hive.

my father years ago when I first acquired bees (and he knew absolutely nothing about bees) absolutely insisted that I start with three hives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.