Default Looking for bee's in the Minneapolis, MN area

Hello, I have always been interested in bee's and have decided 2009 is the year for me. I found plenty of places to get the equipment from but am having trouble finding the bee's to move in.

Ideally, I would like to pick them up but I can't seem to find anything around the Minneapolis area. By area I mean within an hour drive.

Would anyone have some contacts that wouldn't mind a call?

I know some of the bee clubs do orders for the spring. You could also try Minnesota Package Bees (612) 338-7272. Their listed address is downtown Minneapolis.

You should take the spring short course at the U of M St. Paul campus. The course is well worth it. No hands-on since its in early March, but it is very informative. Here is the link: http://www.extension.umn.edu/honeybe...hortcourse.htm

Good advice to take the course.

Also good advice to wait until spring.

Minnesota winters can be rather harsh. (I grew up there, in Mpls) There is nothing to be gained for a new beekeeper to learn how to overwinter by failing to overwinter. Better to start with a package or swarm next spring and work up from there. Get them strong and established next summer and you're in a much better position to overwinter them next year.
    Troy

I'll be taking the course next spring if schedule allows. Didn't make it this year but a buddy of mine did and got a lot out of it. There is a place in Stillwater that sells packages in the spring. He also had some nucs from Tx this yr. Good Luck.
    Nuke

Sorry, forgot to say I found him online and didn't remember who he was to post it for you.

Here is a link to the guy in Stillwater MN. http://naturesnectar.blogspot.com/ Randy

I recommend getting involved with a local beekeeping club. Clubs are a great place to find mentors and get connected with nearby beeks. Club members can direct you to local suppliers and make recommendations specific to beekeeping in your area.
    http://www.mnbeekeepers.com/index.html

Default bee farm in houston

Hello-
    There is a place called B&B honey farm in houston MN that sells packages and Nucs. They have MN hygenics that come from Texas, so not really sure how they winter. That is probably like 21/2 hours from Minn, I think? Good Luck!