Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie intro and a big hello to all

Well I have suddenly taken an interest in beekeeping. I had to run a booth at the local fair this year and spent some time talking to folks at our Counties Bee Booth. I almost got involved last year but I made the decision to do it this time. I talked to a few friends who have been doing it for years, and I am going to my first club meeting next week. I have bought two 8 frame medium hives, and 1 Nuc box with mediums on it. Bought 4 extra medium supers and been busy as a bee putting it all together. Have bought wired wax foundation for the hives and Nuc but not sure what I will use for the supers yet? Got to get the rest of the supplies before spring. I hope that I can learn alot here and this seems like the place to learn. I have bought a couple of books and spent hours on the net reading, then I found this great place. Well have many choices to make yet and hope my choices so far are good? Hope to make alot of friends on here and hope ya'll do not mind dumb newbie questions?
    Thanks
    Rondo

Thumbs Up Welcome

Rondo,

I've been on the board for a little over a year now, and so far, no newbies have been harmed on this board! You'll be having a good time and get lots of advice around here. I think you have a good start on the hives. I'd suggest a smoker, bee suit, some kind of feeder and a couple of hive tools.

Good luck when you get your girls next spring!

BB

HOWDY
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Good to have you on board.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Ask 4 beeks and get 4 opinions. Get a good local mentor, watch, do, learn, try and learn some more. You will find what works for you.

Welcome! Good to have you here. I was in your shoes not too long ago. This my second full year and I wish that I would have found beekeeping 20 years ago. You can learn alot here and don't be afraid to ask anything, no matter how crazy that think that it mite be. Last year, I had my share of them and these guys helped me through it. There are a good deal of people with alot of knowledge and they will share it with you. Good luck and may the force be with you!
    Marc
    life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you are gonna get

Welcome to this forum Rondobee
    Beekeeping is a great hobby, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have and do! Anytime you have any question at all, don't hesitate to ask as the only dumb questions are the ones not asked. How long has it been since you've been stung by a honeybee?

I've found a website run by a person here in the forums that is quite informative... http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm ... give it a checkout and see what you think, I've spent quite sometime there myself.

rhondo sezs:
    Hope to make alot of friends on here and hope ya'll do not mind dumb newbie questions?

tecumeh:
    welcome aboard... the only stupid questions are the ones you should have asked but did not.

Default welcome to your new addiction

welcome to the board. hang around and learn. Be careful watch these guys they will lead you into a life of addiction playing with stinging insects. Keep an eye out for bizzybee dont let him talk you into making a presto we have a fire wax melter. The BS firemarshal will not approve of it There is no such thing as dumb question. But being a redneck I have been known to give a few dumb answers

Your just jealous you still have to wait on yer water to boil rat!!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Default WElcome

Welcome aboard,you will learn alot on this fourm.After a while you will cipher out who has taken to many hits to the head,and who hasn!t

Well Thanks for all the replies....hope I enjoy it as much as everyone also. One question was How long has it been since I was stung? As far as a Honey Bee it was probably 25 years ago? Now yellow jackets, wasps and Fire ants are a different story. I hope I am not allergic? Did not have a problem before, and I have been looking around to find a honey bee just to get stung to see, but thats a problem here, you do not see them anymore? I guess thats the main reason I want get into beek is to help out, cause when I was growing up you did not go bare footed without getting stung, now I go bare footed all the time and never see a bee? Love honey also, and that would be great for a first timer to get lucky enough to get a honey crop the first year, but I am just hoping to keep them alive and well the first year. Also I have a nasty case of Arthur and I may try some stings for treatment to see if it works? Thanks again for the welcomes, and I look forward to learning from all of you.
    Rondo

rhondo writes:
    Also I have a nasty case of Arthur and I may try some stings for treatment to see if it works?

tecumseh:
    if I am any example it most definitely does. mine is mostly in my hands, so sometime I have to decide 'what glove I don't wear today'.

Default Welcome Rondobee

Welcome! This a great group of beeks with an immense amount of information and willingness to help. For me, I am in it for only about five years, beekeeping has some pitfalls: My non-beekeeping friends don't ask me anymore about bees, they get an earful for about an hour......ha, ha
    Part of my fun too is that I also enjoy doing woodwork and much of the equipment I make myself, plus some originals and copies of some new ideas. Hopefully you can find something like that to complement the love of bees. Take care and have fun
    BTW there are some real Gurus on this forum........

Thanks again, and yes I hope it helps my Arthur also.

Would also like to do my own wood work the next hive I do, I always have this desire to build thing things myself. Since I read the post about one or two hives, and someone mentioned 3 would be good to start with, I may consider trying to build my own for the 3rd one before spring. Just need a few tools and some help with plans first.

Hope the meeting next week goes good.

Thanks
    Rondo

Default Plans

Hey Rondo,

Just go to the home page of this site and click on the "plans...build it" button on the left and you will get all the plans you need.

Good luck and have fun this winter. I also started getting ready for my first year last fall. It was painful having to wait until spring, but in hind sight it was way worth the wait as I learned a lot throughout the winter reading books and this forum.

BB

Thanks did not realize the plans were there? I need to learn a little about routers and woodworking and this winter I will have time to do that while I am not reading about bees. This new hobby seems like it will keep me busy, and I like to have things to do. I just have to make some choices on the honey supers, foundation types and how I am going to get the honey?

Does anyone offer a good Online beek course for newbies?

thanks
    Rondo

Default The Late George Imirie

Master Beekeeper George Imirie (1933-2007) of Maryland published scores of helpful essays for beekeepers. All files in Adobe Acrobat format. This link will take you there. Also...welcome to one the most interesting and facinating endeavors in all creation! God bless and good luck...

http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/learning.htm

Fred
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

Thanks Fred, That will keep my printer busy for awhile. I going make a notebook of his articles, looks like great information.
    Rondo

Smile Nice to meet you

Careful of this bunch most have been stung SILLY!
    Some great info and a lot of kidding.
    Hang on they will feed your addiction,Oh you say your not addicted ? You will be!
    bob evans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast