Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Deer jerky, meat grinders, recipes

Newly successful hunter here looking for tips and recipes that are tried and true. I am really interested in making some jerky. I also hope for product reviews on what electric grinders you might like or dislike. Lots of money could be spent on this. Thanks.

Best jerky

1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup worcestershire sauce
    4 tablespoon catchup
    4 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon ground red pepper, or to taste
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion salt
    2 teaspoon salt

Marinate 24 hours in frig.
    Dry at 135 to 145 F. until consistency desired is obtained. Limber should be stored in frig. Totally dry will keep on shelf or in hunting coat pocket.

Best grinder

Waring Pro is the best I have found

Default deer meat

Buy the book Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas
    Get your self a good smoker. I have a propane one but electric will also work. As for grinders they come in sizes of #8 being the smallest to #32 being the largest. Cabelas sells them all. Get a electric one. Hand cranking gets old really fast. Get a sausage stuffer. They come in 5, 10, 15 20, 25 lb capasity. I have used a 5#er for many years. order the free catologe from the sausage maker at http://www.sausagemaker.com/ It has everything you'll need. Yearly I make polish, italian, jerky, terriocki sticks and corned venison.
    Last edited by danno; 10-24-2008 at 02:00 PM.

I have the meat grinder marketed and sold by Bass Pro Shops, and it's adequate, but if I had known more about them before I bought it, I would have gotten a higher hp motor. For just single family home use, it will do, but if and when it breaks, I will definitely buy something with a little more power. It's heavy and made of steel, but not as "hefty" on the power end as I thought I was getting.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

If you have an equipment rental business around you may be able to rent a monster grinder for cheap.

I rent a big one for 1/2 a day ($25) and grind pretty much all of 2 of my deer. And it doesn't take very long at all. Much longer to clean it before and after. (I sanitize with hot water and a capful of bleach)
    JohnF INTP

Default One Stop Jerky Shop

Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

So far, I have gotten a whole deer, then 2 hams, then 2 hams and 2 shoulders, then last night another whole deer. Gun season is still 3 weeks away. Renting won't do the job here.
    My Waring Pro grinder has the horsepower to work well even with the grissel and tendons, and will grind as large a piece as I can stuff down the chute.

The above recipe is one I modified to my own taste and haven't found anyone yet that didn't like it.

PS. I slice the loins to make my jerky.
    Fillet mignon jerky, no less.

We have gradually stepped up w/ the Cabellas meat grinders and really like the 1 hp. Its heavy to move around but wont slow down on the biggest pcs of meat(be careful!!!). Believe me pushing meat into a slow grinder gets old real fast!!!!I grew up w/ a hand grinder modified to a motor and we would grind up 3-10 elk and also some deer a season w/ it. It worked good but took an extra person to help w/ the grinder plus you'd have to cut the pcs smaller. We also stuff our own sausages that are the greatest. We use a small amt of porkfat from a pig we butcher earlier, and beefat for the summer sausage. Once I get the house I can fwd a great outfit that sells grinder assy and spices etc.
    We use the type of stuffer that attaches to the grinder plate. The newly improved Cabellas wormdrive stuffer works great. I bought a stuffer horn that you hand push that I didnt like. I really would like an upright stuffer(hint hint, Christmas is right around the corner folks!!!) my buddy uses an electric one he really like$ but they cost alot of cash. Now I ALWAYS cook a little and taste the saugage recipe before I package it up!!!! I've messed up a few of so so attempts. Nows the time to add a pinch of this and that.
    Look around yard sales out in the country for stuff like grinders, stuffers, smokers etc., also look for a butcher paper roll holder and butcher tape dispenser. They help alot when wrapping the meat. Its a fun project that I grew up doing. It gets the whole family involved, from Dads cutting up the meat, moms wrapping it up(add talking ALOT!) and kids writing the cuts of meat and dates on the packages and taking the meat in a wagon to the freezer. Good wholesome family stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by iddee View Post
    Best jerky

1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup worcestershire sauce
    4 tablespoon catchup
    4 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon ground red pepper, or to taste
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion salt
    2 teaspoon salt

Marinate 24 hours in frig.
    Dry at 135 to 145 F. until consistency desired is obtained. Limber should be stored in frig. Totally dry will keep on shelf or in hunting coat pocket.

Best grinder

Waring Pro is the best I have found

I'm gonna have to double check the rules, but I'm pretty sure that if you post a recipe here that you first have to send some samples to a couple of moderators and some unbiased members. It's a thing we do to ensure the safety of our members. Honest. So if you'll just get that package in the mail in the morning I'll start digging that rule out and post it. Tomorrow. Or pretty soon.

Barry, would it be all right if I send it after it has been ran through the grandkids?

It just don't last long enough to do it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by iddee View Post
    Barry, would it be all right if I send it after it has been ran through the grandkids?

It just don't last long enough to do it any other way.

Uh, I'm thinking that if the grandkids are healthy and rambunctious I probably won't be needing a sample.

Cool

My recipe is close to Iddee's with a few exceptions, mainly the addition of fresh chopped green pepper and onions for both taste and color. The Worcestershire sauce can be exchanged with teriyaki for a nice change of pace. The vinegar is to help the sauce permeate into the meat.

This recipe is not for beef, for some reason it's really sucky when used with beef.

For four pounds of meat;
    1 T salt
    1 T coarse ground black pepper
    3 T garlic powder
    3 T onion powder
    1 T szechuan pepper (when using teriyaki)

Sift all dry ingredients into bowl and add;
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup honey

Mix and add;
    1 cup Worcestershire sauce (or teriyaki)
    1 cup soy sauce
    1 T liquid smoke
    2 T red hot sauce
    3 T vinegar

mix, and add;

1 cup jalapeno pepper finely minced
    1 cup fresh chopped green pepper (1/2 red for best color)
    1 cup fresh chopped onion

Pour mix over four pounds of meat and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours, stir meat occasionally. Before drying, pat grounds from marinade onto meat.

A nice alternative is to grind the meat and mix the marinate into the meat, set in fridge overnight and form into bars on the dryer racks.

The ground meat is much easier to chew and none of the spices are lost from pouring the marinade off.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Try this site for game recipes and other stuff:

http://www.talkhunting.com/index.php

Kinda want to try a recipe for Deer heart???
    sc-bee

I go to the local bucher shop:

no need to hunt anylonger.
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

Thumbs Up

I forgot to mention that I call my jerky 'meat candy'.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Quote Originally Posted by Zane View Post
    We have gradually stepped up w/ the Cabellas meat grinders and really like the 1 hp. Its heavy to move around but wont slow down on the biggest pcs of meat(be careful!!!).
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll know what to look for when mine breaks (or I give it away as a good excuse to buy another one.)

"(or I give it away as a good excuse to buy another one.)"

You can do that. My wife would frown.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Just finished slicing two back straps, "loins" and put them soaking in the marinade. Will start drying tomorrow morning. 12 to 14 hour drying time. You can bet both grandkids will be pulling pieces out before time.

I can't keep them out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by peggjam View Post
    "(or I give it away as a good excuse to buy another one.)"

You can do that. My wife would frown.
    Well, I don't know if you can, but I can.
    I figure it's a win-win thing. It makes someone else happy and me happy at the same time.

Check Northern Tool out for a grinder. They have a good one for around $100 bucks. Think I heard it is on sale now?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill