Default WHat size slots work best with SHB?

Hi,
    Does anyone know what size slots work best with SHB.

In my area, there are three main traps being used:
    CD cases.
    The Beetle eater.
    Slots cut in the floor with a tray of lime underneath.

I am going to try something else. I am thinking of putting an aluminium plate on the floor that is covered in slots. Below that will be a void filled with lime.

What size slot has everyone has the best success with.

Mike

Ok,
    I have done quite a bit of experimenting with bottom board traps, and think I have come up with a really good solution.

The trap that I have made is really quite simple, but in one of my hives it has caught well over 100 SHB in under a week.

What I have done is cut a section about 6 inches by 6 inches out of the middle of the bottom board. Make sure it is right in front of the door, so any beetle coming in have to walk over the trap.

I got a sheet of aluminum and covered it in slots. I tried a stack of sizes, but the one that works best is actual the width of a thin blade in my drop saw.

I put this under the hive, so there is a step down in the hive to it. SHB seem to like this, as it gives them a corner to hide in - but as the bees chase them along this corner they come across the slot. The slot is just not quite big enough for the bees. That seems to be the trick. The bees can stick half a head through, so the SHB drops. It seems to take about 2 inches for the SHB to orientate itself. I have worked this out because under the slotted plate is a baking tray with oil in it. I tried lime, but it is humid here in Queensland, so after a few days the lime started going hard, which would be less effective in the beetle. Oil seems to be the best, as it will last for months!
    Shallow strays seem to catch more SHB than deep trays. This is why I think it takes about 2 inches for a beetle to start to fly.
    The oil has to be at least half an inch deep so they drown quick.
    The tray is held in place with two pieces of wood with groves cut in them.

I have six hives in my backyard. All have an AJ trap in them.
    In the past week that I have had the traps worked out, my bottom board traps have caught over 400 SHB. !!!!! I didn't think there were that many SHB in my hives! I have no idea where they are coming from. I am just glad to catch them.

In the same time the total number of beetles caught in the AJ traps is 12.

If you want any photos of the trap, or dimensions of the saw blade, just let me know.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike121; 11-08-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
    If you want any photos of the trap, or dimensions of the saw blade, just let me know.

Mike
    You bet we do! We'd love to see a picture or two!
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Hi,
    I took a stack of photos for you, which show how to make the trap.
    You are welcome to make the trap, just don't patent it! It is for everyone.
    It cost me $3 for the tray, and 50c for the aluminum.

I can not work out how to post photos here, so I made a web page for you.

Its address is:
    http://web.aanet.com.au/~Bees/beetletrap.html

Let me know how you get on.

Just as a tip, if you use a drop saw like mine, the cut it makes is a little bigger that the blade - see my photos.

Make one slotted piece, and measure the results. Hope you have as much success as me.

Mike

Cool!

Very Nice! Thanks Mike
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir