Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe's News

Thumbs Up Joe's News

The latest news letter from Joe T. but no prices.
    [
    url]http://www.beesource.com/pov/traynor/agnewsoct1008.htm[/url]

Jim

Here is the link again...so it should work. Interesting article.

http://www.beesource.com/pov/traynor/agnewsoct1008.htm

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Jim View Post
    but no prices Jim
    Aw, just a small detail there Jimmy, shoot, just sick your secretary on him for us and find out the bottom line.

Lol.:

Default Hate to say it

I wouldn't get too pushy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    I wouldn't get too pushy
    I hate to say it..... That was a joke to Jimmy.

We really don't care what Joe does, what ever Joe does good for him,as it has nothing to do what we do.

Default I know

I was talking prices...I wouldn't push it much.

Some of what Joe does is good for all of us

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    I was talking prices...I wouldn't push it much.:
    Ya, I agree there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Jim View Post
    The latest news Jim
    Maybe we should drive down to Modesto today and catch the almond meeting? Then we would have the latest news.

I suspect there will be a shortage of hives this year for two reasons. Cost of fuel for trucking will give the east coasters some hard numbers to crunch. I heard that last year a couple of shipments from FL got sent back at the CA border. Something about vegetation on the pallets. I heard a couple got someone to clean some of the shipments up, but both the loads sent back and the ones who had cleaning done lost on the year. Second I have seen a reduction in the number of hives being run by commercial beeks. Not in all cases, but I know a couple who have retired and others who are cutting back.

Not sure how this will play into pricing, but the growers are going to have to evaluate pollination, water shares cost, increased shipping costs and I am sure increased processing costs.

Are you commercial beeks getting a fair increase in hive rental due to fuel costs?
    I know here the farmers and ranchers have raised land rents considerably lately.

Default hive rental rates and fuel

No direct connection in hive rental rates and fuel. Just one of the factors beekeepers have to take into account when they decide to ship hives long distance. It does of course indirectly make a difference if a large number decide to stay home. Just got quoted 2.85 a loaded mile for the SD to Cal haul. Seems a bit high since we were paying 2.50 last year at this time and fuel is around the same price now and prices seem almost certain to fall a lot more. Trouble with delaying is the gamble you take with winter storms and bad weather on the road between here and there.
    Jim

Last night at a bee meeting, I heard Joe say that minimum 8 frame plus hives would rent to the grower for $180.00 paying $174.00 to the beekeeper. Other brokers there indicated lesser prices, but also with lesser frame allowance.

The man from the almond growers indicated that the almond growers are facing a pinch and would be resistant to higher pollination prices - many orchards being removed due to
    the water situation, and the price of nuts being less than desireable.

Laurence
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

Default R U sure?

Hi Lawrence thank you for posting from the meeting!

Did the Almond Guy actually say that lots of orchards were being pulled?
    Did he say where? I would like to see it. Thanks again Tom

Tom, I think that the orchards being pulled were primarily on the westside and due to their big water problem. He quoted acres that he knew about, but I didn't note due to the fact, I think, that there are still a lot more coming into production than going out.

Laurence

I dont see orchards being pulled. I know of 5 almond orchards that got put in this year alone. And I wish I had 60 hives because I have a guy with a first year needing bees for his almonds wanting pollination. I have to ask a friend that has 100+ what he plans on this year. Where is this meeting you guys are talking about. I have been trying to find a beekeeping meeting. Or just somewhere to get with other keepers. I am in Hanford near Laurence and not far from Tom. LIke I said I have not seen any being ripped out at least not almonds. Nectorenes yes as the prices dropped so much one farmer I know who has ranches all over fresno and kings counties wound up letting there orchards rot on the trees. Great for us as we got a ton of fruit but bad as most of them are pulling up there tree fruit due to the bad pricing. I have some of my bees on there farm in Tranqulity. They have bees from Hanford that pollinate there and they get a good rate for allowing the beekeeper to keep his bees on there land as holding yards. In fact they have been about 1 mile from where my bees are. I know from a few almond growers that I have talked to so far they know of even more Almond groves being put in. Price was 2.00lb less 25% brokerage fee to the farmer. Dont sound like to good of price to me but according to the guy that runs it he says thats avg. He said he would take avg over low anyday. BUt they had very very good pollination this year and had bumper crops even though bloom was 2 to 3 weeks late. This is just my observation and with talking with farmers in my walks. And Laurence and Tom where are theses meetings?

Angi
    Angi of HHH Farms Hanford Ca
    Organic Farm & heritage, rare breed poultry, ducks, quail

Angie, I'll P.M. you.

Default meeting

What kind of meeting was it? Who held it and where? Sounds like it was informative and interesting.

Default Water Ways: California water bond

Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast