Default Angry bees when dusting w/sugar?

I tried dusting with powdered sugar(about half a cup) and all the bees flew out of the hive. They were all white. Is this normal for them to leave the hive and fall down around it? They later went back in.

Short answer yes......... i had tons of bee ghosts flying around as i dusted. Kinda cute actually, but other than the fact they were just trying to avoid the powder, they weren't particualrly annoyed. Kinda looked like flying mimi marshmallows.
    A beekeeper is not what I am, it's what I aspire to become.

That is why I use a screen to apply it. It keeps them in till I put the lid on. It also decreases the amount of chaos to adjoining hives.

Place the screen on top of the brood area, sift, place the screen on the next box, brush the remaining sugar from top bars, place next box on, with screen on it, repeat.

Smoke 'em a just a we bit to move them off the top or bottom and you should have a fairly smooth and quick experience. I am on all mediums right now and dust each box.
    Richard
    Carriage House Farm, North Bend, Ohio

I use a little pesticide-type duster to puff the frames. Yes, it tends to tick them off but you'll get used to it.