Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Goldenrod honey smells like crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    In fact, it's rather a welcome smell that says "we've got food for the winter."
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Not crap. Old gym socks.
    It sure does taste good, though!

Sorry 'bout reviving a old thread...
    Last edited by BeeThere; 10-10-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: correct repost

If it makes you Northern Hemisphere guys feel better, we too have a light coloured honey that tastes like horse urine!

The yellow wax talked about in this thread comes from the pollen which usually has a higher fat content. We have a false dandelion that gives yellow wax and the pollen has 10% fat content.

I have 6-8 medium frames of golden rod honey still on my two hives that I am looking forward to pulling off. Plenty of stores in the deeps. I've caught a wiff of the stuff and while it is pungent It's not bad. I've heard it has a butterscotch kinda flavor and I am hoping so. This is my first year with two hives and I really didn't expect any honey so I am still trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to extract the honey. I'd prefer to keep the combs so I'd rather not crush and strain.

Any one have ideas for bulding a cheap 1-2 frame homemade extractor? I have several food safe plastic buckets that I might be able fabricate something from. Next year I'll invest in building something better.

I wonder if there is any correlation between the people that don't like the smell of golden rod honey curing and the people whose urine smells immediately after eatting asparagus???

Quote Originally Posted by frankthomas View Post
    Any one have ideas for bulding a cheap 1-2 frame homemade extractor? I have several food safe plastic buckets that I might be able fabricate something from. Next year I'll invest in building something better.
    http://s697.photobucket.com/user/ace...2bcc4.mp4.html

Can"t get any cheaper.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Kidbeeyoz View Post
    If it makes you Northern Hemisphere guys feel better, we too have a light coloured honey that tastes like horse urine!
    I'm almost afraid to ask how you know what horse urine tastes like?!?

-------------

> building a cheap 1-2 frame homemade extractor?

Plans for two different extractors largely made from wood are in the Build-It-Yourself section, this is the smaller one:
    http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...y-extractor-2/

And there are multiple threads about Beesource members designs. I like this one, and it has photos:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ight=extractor

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-10-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: add links
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Ace bird thanks for the pics but I'm not sure what all I am looking at. What did you use form the main container? What is the base? Any more info on it?

My first years as a beekeeper, I had two hives and was lucky enough to get a little surplus honey for myself. I was worried about the smell of the honey. Even in the comb (I cut it from the shallow super frames since I did not have an extractor yet) it just didn't smell right. I took it to an experienced beekeeper, and he told me it was from goldenrod. Luckily it tasted nothing like it smelled. I like goldenrod honey just fine. We have a lot of goldenrod growing around here, and I consider it a blessing to help give the bees a late season boost before winter.
    Last edited by homesteader824; 10-10-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by GaryMinckler View Post
    I don't find the aroma of goldenrod honey offensive at all...and mine came out real light.
    Same here. And when I had bought a bucket (3kg) of goldenrod honey from a neighbor, tasted rather good, similar to dandelion if you ask me.

Southern goldenrod has bad aromas, I guess?

There are a bunch of golden rod's I guess they all have different aromas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldenrod. When I walk the dogs they eat the leaves as if having a salad.
    I’m really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Same here. And when I had bought a bucket (3kg) of goldenrod honey from a neighbor, tasted rather good, similar to dandelion if you ask me.

Southern goldenrod has bad aromas, I guess?
    I don't think it is offensive smelling honey at all. Down South it is darker honey and does have a stronger taste. Many people prefer this honey over the lighter milder clover or privet types. I like it all! It does smell up the bee yard when they are packing the pollen and nectar in though...

I have 6-8 medium frames of golden rod honey still on my two hives that I am looking forward to pulling off. Plenty of stores in the deeps. I've caught a wiff of the stuff and while it is pungent It's not bad. I've heard it has a butterscotch kinda flavor and I am hoping so. This is my first year with two hives and I really didn't expect any honey so I am still trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to extract the honey. I'd prefer to keep the combs so I'd rather not crush and strain.
    I've had a real problem getting my bees to make extra comb so it is pretty precious down here. I would not crush any of my comb as it does take time and energy for those bees to make it. Most BK'ers down here extract on their own or with a club member who has the equipment, let the bees clean it up and then reuse it when needed (protect from the moths) in the spring. Doing this allows they to concentrate on filling rather than building, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by homesteader824 View Post
    My first years as a beekeeper, I had two hives and was lucky enough to get a little surplus honey for myself. I was worried about the smell of the honey. Even in the comb (I cut it from the shallow super frames since I did not have an extractor yet) it just didn't smell right. I took it to an experienced beekeeper, and he told me it was from goldenrod. Luckily it tasted nothing like it smelled. I like goldenrod honey just fine. We have a lot of goldenrod growing around here, and I consider it a blessing to help give the bees a late season boost before winter.
    This year it looks like I may get enough Goldenrod honey to keep them in winter feed and still get some for myself. I am looking forward to this!

Quote Originally Posted by pgmrdan View Post
    Does goldenrod make a really dark honey?

I'm in south central Iowa and I'm trying to figure out what kind of nectar is making the dark honey I just harvested. Another guy about a mile away harvested the same type of honey too so it's not something in my immediate vicinity.

Thanks,
    Dan
    I drove through Iowa in September and saw a lot of black eyed susans blooming the ditches.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenThumb View Post
    Least that is what my wife and children say...
    The correct reply to them is, "More for me!"

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

Ace bird thanks for the pics but I'm not sure what all I am looking at. What did you use form the main container? What is the base? Any more info on it?
    More information on this extractor is in this thread Ace posted:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...=extractor+fan

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft