Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Goldenrod honey smells like crap...

Least that is what my wife and children say...

Not crap. Old gym socks.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I'm sure its an olfactory flaw of mine but I really don't think it smells bad. It is distinctive and powerful. Surely not like any of my dirty socks.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I dunno, Dan, it's never bothered me, either, and I can detect odors that no one else in the house can. In fact, it's rather a welcome smell that says "we've got food for the winter."

Now, you want unpleasant, dirty-sock smell, step into my teenage step-son's room... I'll take goldenrod honey over that ANY day.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    In fact, it's rather a welcome smell that says "we've got food for the winter."
    I knew a fellow once who had chicken houses. He claimed that he liked the odor. He said it smelled like money.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

If I think someone has been urinating on my hives as I pull up to a yard I know the bloom source.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    ISurely not like any of my dirty socks.
    Just use them to strain the stuff and it will all even out.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Find someone who makes mead, it is supposed to be excellent for mead.

the first time i smelled goldenrod honey ripening in my hives i freaked out and thought i had foul brood. I tore them apart loking for signs of foul brood and found none. Now the goldenrod bloom is mostly over in central iowa and the aster flow is in progress.

Dan

Does goldenrod make a really dark honey?

I'm in south central Iowa and I'm trying to figure out what kind of nectar is making the dark honey I just harvested. Another guy about a mile away harvested the same type of honey too so it's not something in my immediate vicinity.

Thanks,
    Dan

Default Dark honey

Up in BC in early fall we get a dark honey that smells and tastes like Buckwheat. It comes from an invasive bamboo like plant called Japanese Knotweed. this honey definitely smells bad and not pleasant tasting but is very popular to select customers that actually will pay a premium for it. This particular honey is coffee black in color

Our goldenrod honey is light and the wax they produce during the flow is lemon yellow. Oddly, it doesn't smell as bad this year as it has in the past. The smell goes away eventually and if the bees don't eat it all during the winter, I help. It's delicious but crystalizes quickly.

With all this talk about winter, I have to tell you about coastal North Carolina. "Winter" starts sometime around Christmas. Occasionally we get frost, hardly ever snow. They will close the schools if there is any chance. The bees fly almost every day, and something seems to be blooming most of the time. Spring starts with the maple buds...March. We are transplants from northeast Ohio...Mr. Greenthumb's territory. That's a whole different ballgame up there. Man!!, I love it here!!

After the goldenrod is done and the Asters are still blooming, I still get a whiff of old socks occasionally, so I think they contribute their share of the stench as well.

But I like it now!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by doitcode3 View Post
    Up in BC in early fall we get a dark honey that smells and tastes like Buckwheat. It comes from an invasive bamboo like plant called Japanese Knotweed. this honey definitely smells bad and not pleasant tasting but is very popular to select customers that actually will pay a premium for it. This particular honey is coffee black in color
    Got any to trade? I love that dark honey! My spring honey this year is medium amber, locust and something else.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Default dark

Quote Originally Posted by doitcode3 View Post
    I have some that is so dark it will stain your hands!
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I don't find the aroma of goldenrod honey offensive at all...and mine came out real light.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenThumb View Post
    Least that is what my wife and children say...
    Must be your variety. In PA it smells like caramel and milk is mixed into the honey.

I agree that it also stains the wax lemon yelllow.

Golden rod here is one of my best flows - the difference in color is hardly noticeable when compared to early season wildflower/alfalfa in small containers.

A lot of my customers prefer it to the light stuff.

My wife loves it - excellent in oatmeal

I am a commercial fisherman, amongst other things - that smell she doesn't appreciate nearly as much.

My old man also says "it's not the smell of fish, it's the smell of money."

The aster round here is light amber but it crystalizes very quickly, makes excellent creamed honey. The knotweed is another story I have one yard that has a lot of it close by. Its dark almost as dark as buckwheat but doesnt extract well ,its thick more like some of the tupalo honey I have tasted. They do ask for it at the farmers market. I always look for the yellow wax when my bees start to work goldenrod. We get some early goldenrod in august but the bees are still working knapweed till later I can usually smell it as they bring it in . It smells like money lol...Rick
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast