Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Kelley Vibrating Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Walt McBride View Post
    Here is a 60 sec. video of me using my Kelley vibrating knife and scratching low points on the comb. Notice that you can hardly see the knife vibrating.
    Knife blade has one speed. Tempature is controlable.
    Also video has audio track.
    Walt

http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/q...thhotblade.flv
    Is your honey cold? It sure looks to me like you are working hard to uncap a half capped frame of honey. I have seen jiggle knives in use a long time ago and the user pushed the frame across the blade in one easy motion w/out sawing it back and forth like you do. That's what I was expecting to see when I clicked on the video.

I just spent a week of 10 hours days extracting w/ a steam heated hot knife. Comparing what I saw in the video w/ what I experienced firast hand I'd go w/ the steam operated hot knife. Does anyone have a video of a steam heated jiggle knife?

Walt, thanks for the video. Looks like it works for you. I just need to move along a little faster. Good video.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

The day the above video was made was a cool day as you can see I had my jacket on. The honey was cold so the cut was a little slow and I was jacking the frame back and forth more than normal. When it is 85-95 deg. and the frames are in the 75-85 deg. area the cut goes soooo smooooth!
    I feel that the knife was one of the best investments along with the SS radial extractor that I have purchased.
    Walt

What are people using to create steam for their steam heated knifes? If you are using one, can you let me know what your using and maybe take a photograph of it and post it?

i also just bought the older steam jiggle knife and am wondering how to set it up. don't know how to add youtube video url's but if you search "Extracting line in our honey house" a good video is available
    34 hives, 5 years

I have seen a good operator uncap nearly as fast as a cowan uncapper. you will find that the faster you uncap the next problem will be handling the cappings. I have used everthing from a brand melter to the 10 foot long kelley wax melter. never used or saw a system that I liked.

Marios, I called Cowen and talked to Greg about the one I bought and asked about steam. He said that I could use hot water, since it is safer than steam. Said there are steam generators out there, but can be expensive.

Engineer friend and I were thinking about using a tiny hot water heater with a pump to circulate the water through the system. Pump is the type that you use to circulate heated water in cement floors.

They think they recognized mine and said it was a late 1940's to 1950's machine, Lohman brand. Older than me!!! Still seems to work great.

Here is mine....need to clean the blade up.Uncapper.jpg

Marios, I assume this is the video you where talking about: http://youtu.be/gL7Eoo5OIrU
    Last edited by TimW; 02-20-2014 at 11:10 PM.

tim exactly what i bought, like the idea of the water, thats the video guy i was using a pressue cooker on a hot plate. one thing about old they used good steel simple and easy.
    34 hives, 5 years

Last edited by Ted n Ms; 02-23-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Thanks Ted, I have been waiting to see one of these in action for a long time.

This slow to load i probably done something wrong.

Default Re: Kelley vibrating knife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiLQeSs-9Zg

This one is $1300. Not sure about the price, I just grabbed this off the web.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Thanks for posting the video Ted.

Can't wait to get mine cleaned up and ready for this years honey.

nice video ted, can you sharpen the knife, and if you can how? Mine is set up to work on its side but i have yet to clean it up and use it.
    thanks
    34 hives, 5 years

Smile Re: Kelley vibrating knife

Quote Originally Posted by marios View Post
    nice video ted, can you sharpen the knife, and if you can how? Mine is set up to work on its side but i have yet to clean it up and use it.
    thanks
    Yes it can be and does need to be sharpened periodically. I sharpen mine with a flat file. I quess you also do it with a stone.