Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Kelley vibrating knife

I've only seen photos of these contraptions. We're not up to the stage of needing a Silver Queen or something like that size. But we'd sure like something faster than the knife or plane. Are these vibrators worth it as an intermediate-sized uncapping tool? Thanks

Thumbs Up mine works very well

I have an old Kelley steam powered vibrating knife...it works the same as the newer electric knives. I think you will find it helps you be more productive. Good luck! -Dan

I think that my Kelley electric heated vibrating knife was well worth its' cost when I bought it 19 years ago. I had used a hand knife for 15 years prior. Operate about 90 hives now.
    I am glad that I went to a vibrating knife. It is at least twice as fast as a hand knife and your wrists don't ache after long uncaping sessions.
    Walt

Thanks, guys... sounds like a no-brainer. And if you knew me better you'd find no-brainers describe me pretty well!

I have been thinking about buying the kelly vibrating knife. A larger beek from our club mentioned he had one years ago, tried it once and sold it. He suspected he may cut off his finger tips very quickly.

I've never run one before does this seem like a concern, I have several people come over and extract at my honey house and would be worried about them ( or me ) cutting themselves.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

I bought one this year and love it. As far as cutting off fingers, , just have to uncap half the frame on both sides then flip it over and uncap the other half. Sooooo much better than a hand knife. Cut my extracting time in half.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

James,

Does yours fit over a stainless steel uncapping tank OK? Did it take modification to fit? We got our uncapping tank from Mann Lake.

I used a ss dairy sink. It fit perfectly, and I hold it on with a couple welding vise grips. When I finally get things cleaned up, i'll take some pics and post them.

I don't suppose anyone has video of one of these in action do they?

Some close up pictures with descriptions on how it works would be nice.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Magnet- nice website. Fun, artsy, interesting, historical, colorful. Simply put, I like it! Is that some original paraphrasing Shakespear from your pen?

I swear I saw a short video on the vibratory knife a year or two ago, but have no clue where it was. Maybe the mead just kicked in and it just came in a vision.

Which way does the knife vibrate? Side to side or forward and back?

Swobee, it is from my own pen.

I'd have to say side to side, looking at the photo and trying to remember the video I saw of one in operation.

This looks to be the patent the knife is based on. It would be nice for someone who owns one to confirm it.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=u1J...ad=0_1#PPA1,M1

OK, James (peggjam), inquiring minds want to know - side to side or front to back?

I tried looking on utube for a vknife being used, nope. Everything else. Even a radial extractor that spins the whole box, frames and all.. Very kewl

Its under hawaii honey production, Looks like it does about 8 to 10 boxes at a time.

Anywho if one of you lucky souls would post a vid of your uncapper in action we would eat it up
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

It vibrates side to side. You put the frame on top of the knife and pull it towards you, flip and repeat. I only do half of a side at a time, and then flip it end for end and do the other end. It works great.

$385 and people think my suits are expensive. I am going to have to start making heated vibrating uncapping knifes!