Hybrid View

Default Kelley vibrating knife

I've only seen photos of these contraptions. We're not up to the stage of needing a Silver Queen or something like that size. But we'd sure like something faster than the knife or plane. Are these vibrators worth it as an intermediate-sized uncapping tool? Thanks

Thumbs Up mine works very well

I have an old Kelley steam powered vibrating knife...it works the same as the newer electric knives. I think you will find it helps you be more productive. Good luck! -Dan

I think that my Kelley electric heated vibrating knife was well worth its' cost when I bought it 19 years ago. I had used a hand knife for 15 years prior. Operate about 90 hives now.
    I am glad that I went to a vibrating knife. It is at least twice as fast as a hand knife and your wrists don't ache after long uncaping sessions.
    Walt

Thanks, guys... sounds like a no-brainer. And if you knew me better you'd find no-brainers describe me pretty well!

I have been thinking about buying the kelly vibrating knife. A larger beek from our club mentioned he had one years ago, tried it once and sold it. He suspected he may cut off his finger tips very quickly.

I've never run one before does this seem like a concern, I have several people come over and extract at my honey house and would be worried about them ( or me ) cutting themselves.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

I bought one this year and love it. As far as cutting off fingers, , just have to uncap half the frame on both sides then flip it over and uncap the other half. Sooooo much better than a hand knife. Cut my extracting time in half.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Default Re: mine works very well

Quote Originally Posted by danno1800 View Post
    I have an old Kelley steam powered vibrating knife...it works the same as the newer electric knives. I think you will find it helps you be more productive. Good luck! -Dan
    What do you use for a steam source?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I am also considering the purchase of one of these knives. I noticed this year that in using my electric knife on the one piece plastic frames that I would pull off a small curl of plastic on some passes. Is this just me (operator error) or is this common? Will this happen with the vibrating knife as or more frequently?