Question Frame end design ?

Hey Is there a real reason to have the frame ends with the tapped look ? I made a bunch with square ends. When there all pushed together they make a "wall". I figured if the bees need to talk they can meet at the top or bottom. Do they need the space between the frames at all ??

Default Re: Frame end design ?

Wasn't the tapered end bar the major development of the Hoffman frame? I think the intention was you could push the frame straight down and the frames would be self spacing. I"m not sure of the history of it. Anyone who knows for sure care to explain?
    When you stop learning you're dead.

I've run both kinds for several years now -- I see no differences in how the bees deal with them.

My thought was that the Hoffman frame was a frame with End Bars of a particular width, that automatically aligned and spaced the frames when they are hanging in the hive and pushed together.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

The tapered is so the bees can travel around the ends of the bars. In a really cold winter it might matter. In a natural hive the ends are how bees move from comb to comb as the tops are attached and it's often a long way to the bottom...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

so michael what would you recommend for in the north ?

Did a little more research and discovered that when movable frame hives started becoming popular there were two main types of frame, the Hoffman and Quinby. The Quinby frame rested on the bottom of the hive, required manual spacing and was developed by Moses Quinby. He was an influencial early beekeeper that wrote a book you can download for free on the web. The Hoffman frames hung from a groove in the top of the hive and the end bars were self spacing. Hoffman style frames won out and that's what we use today. While Hoffman frames are in use today in the UK, many people there still use frames that require spacing. They make an assortment of clips and spacers that can be added to your frames. What an unncessary mess IMO. Hoffman frames are the way to go.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

>so michael what would you recommend for in the north ?

I have a few that are solid all the way down and they seem to do ok. But given I choice, I suppose, in my climate I prefer the cut out so they are less likely to get stuck. Mobility is an issue in a cold climate.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The tapered is so the bees can travel around the ends of the bars.
    Wouldn't it make sense that the thicker part of the side bar would be at the bottom or both top and bottom? Judging from the way I have to drive the hive tool between the frames to separate them I would rather not have that part be wood that only splits away anyway. A metal spacer with a chamfer on the top edge to center the hive tool would be my preference.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

You could cut them off and use a staple or two on one side to get the correct spacing as well.

Tapered sides reduce the amount of propilis as well, but my brother's bees collect an amazing amount of it, they would glue anything together.

I think I remember some with a gap in the middle with the top and bottom full width at my Grandpa's, but that could be creative memory.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The tapered is so the bees can travel around the ends of the bars.
    It seemed to me that my bees always chewed a hole wherever/whenever they wanted to have an easy path to the other side. I assumed they were just too lazy to go around and that this was also why holes were placed in some plastic foundation. Googling it just now it looks like these may be "communication holes" though and not for travel?

>Googling it just now it looks like these may be "communication holes" though and not for travel?

I think they mean they are used for travel when they call them "communication holes"...