Thread: Frame Rotation

Default Frame Rotation

I'm kind of having a Senior moment here. I have been doing crush and strain for the last 4 or 5 years while the old extractor has sat gathering dust in the garage. I hauled it out and cleaned it up the other day in anticipation of extracting the last several boxes for the year. Well darn if I didn't forget if the top bar was leading when the basket was spinning or if it was the bottom bar going around in the lead. A little help for this old muddled brain would be appreciated.

I have read that the bees build the cells with a slight upward angle; up toward the top bar at about 13 degrees. This is so nectar does not run out before it's capped I assume. So with this in mind, for a radial extractor [like spokes of a wheel], the top bars should be on the outside and the bottom bars closer to center of the extractor. Even with a tangential extractor it might help to keep this in mind by having the bottom bars leading the direction of spin; clock-wise or counter clock-wise. This would help to pull the honey out while spinning. Hmm,..hope that's correct.

Oldbee is right!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Thanks guys, I knew as soon as I saw the angle of the cells sort of pointing up that the bottom bar would have to lead in the direction of the spin. Had to be old age and not the Mead that made me forget.

With me, it's always the mead that makes me forget.....if I remember right.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"