Default Snelgrove board?

I went to an antique bookstore the other day and picked up a 1963 edition of Snelgrove's book on swarm management. Fascinating reading.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows if one of the suppliers sells his boards? I poked around at Brushy and Dadant's web sites and couldn't find it.

I have a pretty good wood shop and I could make it myself, but it is rather intricate and looks time consuming to make. I thought it might be more effective to just buy one.
    Troy

call Drapers in auburn nebraska. Seems I remember seeing one in the shop when I was up there in July

I got mine from Brushy Mtn. Then made some more when they quit making the 8 frame size. The little gates are the most time consuming and finger risking!!!

Brandy, are you saying they still have some, or no? Do you know where on their site?

I have searched all over.......

Thx for any pointers you may have.
    Troy

They are also called Double Screen Boards. I've gotten them both from Betterbee and Brushy Mtn. But only in 10 frame size from Brushy Mtn. now.

Brandy,

Thanks, that is what I needed is another search word. Now I see them on both sites. I wish they had better pictures, but I guess I'll just order one from each next time I order other things and get one to see what it looks like.

Now what I really need is one for Nuc boxes too. Here in FL, most folks run their bees in one box only, so when you split it, it would be best to split a 10 frame into 2 5 frame nucs.

I'll probably have to make my own, I guess.

Thanks again.
    Troy

I've found all kinds of uses for them once you have them. They make great SBB's in a pinch either with or without a solid bottom to rest on. Then I use them a lot to overwinter my 8 or 10 frame nuc's over production hives. With all the entrance possiblities they are great for either hive. Then there's all the uses for which they were designed that I have yet to use!!!!! Have fun with them.

Troy

There are plans here http://www.beesource.com/plans/screenboard.htm

I have used a different way for the entrance, I put the screw for the hinge at one end, not in the middle.

You might also consider making your own and making it as two single screen boards. This simplifies cleaning between the screens.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If I made it as two single screen boards, wouldn't it be rather flimsy with all those doors in it?

How thick are they from top to bottom, I guess I'll go review those plans.......
    Troy

If you build both frames out of one bys they will not be that flimsy abd the gap between the screens will be about 1 1/2" but that won't hurt anything.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF